I know we have some soccer fans on here (and some others that hate it) so I figured I'd start a thread.

In another sports FML that NT fans are so used to, the USA lost to Honduras in San Pedro Sula 2-1 on Wednesday. They are in the "Hexagonal" Stage now. There are 6 teams (USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, and Jamaica). You play every team home and away. The three teams with the most points qualify for the world cup, and the fourth place team will have to play New Zealand in a home/away series to get there.

That puts the USA in last place through 10% of the final round of qualifying. The other two games ended in ties. So as of now:

Team - Points --> Goal Differential (Goals Scored)

1. Honduras - 3 --> +1 (2)

T2. Costa Rica - 1 --> 0 (2)

T2. Panama - 1 --> 0 (2)

T4. Mexico - 1 --> 0 (0)

T4. Jamaica - 1 --> 0 (0)

6. USA - 0 --> -1 (1)

Next game is at home vs. Costa Rica (Denver, CO) in late March.

• Upvote 1

Bigger surprise that Mexico only got 1 pt. Not a great start for the USA but better than Mexico's. USA was hoping for 1...got none....Mexico was banking on 3....got 1....they lost 2 points....USA only 1.

Wish I had the bein sports channel....hated missing the USA game...yet I got to watch the Mexico match...odd...

USA is struggling to find itself right now, but I am confident that they will in plenty of time. While this loss hurt, it really is, like Thor said, not much of a problem for the US. The much bigger challenge for the US right now is in finding the right mix of players, some consistent and reliable scorers and a back line that works well together.

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!!!

And, Matt, you can only post here if you leave all your negative baggage in the BB thread...deal? :judge:

USA is struggling to find itself right now, but I am confident that they will in plenty of time. While this loss hurt, it really is, like Thor said, not much of a problem for the US. The much bigger challenge for the US right now is in finding the right mix of players, some consistent and reliable scorers and a back line that works well together.

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!!!

And, Matt, you can only post here if you leave all your negative baggage in the BB thread...deal? :judge:

I'm not doubting that we will qualify in the end...it just might be a little painful to watch. The team is very streaky. Honduras is a tough place to play unless you like getting batteries thrown at you.

I'm not doubting that we will qualify in the end...it just might be a little painful to watch. The team is very streaky. Honduras is a tough place to play unless you like getting batteries thrown at you.

I think that was a lot of the problem. That stadium is a really really hostile environment, rivals Azteca, would have been nice to salvage a point, but that honduras squad isn't terrible. Qualifying could be tricky, the teams in this group have gotten better. Jamaica could be a tough out, Costa Rica has some good attacking pieces, and Mexico is usually a pretty tough fight. Also can someone explain to me why Bocanegra was on the bench and Bradley was playing a centerback? Is Bocanegra hurt, and if so why even put him in the roster?

Agree, definitely, with the challenge of playing in a hostile stadium. But, that is the nature of international national team soccer. The US must learn how to play and win in those situations or the US will never rise above being pretty much a middle of the road national team. Not sure the ake-up of the current team has the "right stuff" and still not 100percent sold on our new head coach. But, will support the team and staff and do think at the end of the day...US qualifies for the 2014 World Cup.

i think New Caledonia still has a chance to grab the OFC spot in the playoff if they can pull of the road upset next month..

stinks that we lost the game, especially after grabbing the 1-nil lead on a deuce goal, but I think we'll be fine. Just win at home and steal a few (or take the draws) on the road. I even tried to put my pessimistic mode on and I still couldn't really see a way where we finish 5th or 6th. I am NOT saying that I'm ok with 4th...far from it, but even in my most dire scenarios I can't see us not finishing top 4 in the hex. I like our chances in the playoff, even if it comes to that. Just a super early prediction, with 9 games to go (I like predictions):

1. U.S.

2. Panama

3. Mexico

4. Jamaica

5. Honduras

6. Costa Rica

I really have no clue. I hope (and think) that we'll get on track and grab the top spot, I think Panama is gonna start rolling (predict they won't lose at home) to grab their first berth ever, Mexico for the 6th time in a row, and then Jamaica off to play NZ ( don't think New Caledonia pulls off the W in Mordor), gave the nod to Honduras over CR because of their recent win over us, plus the Ticos have a tough finishing stretch.

I'm not worried yet...you could tell the players were having problems adjusting to the conditions (90 degrees and 90% humidity) and the pitch (slowest I've seen).

I also think Klinsmann made some tactical and player selection errors that I trust he'll remedy ahead of their next match...that Honduras match was just begging for Hercules Gomez as a second half sub...Jozy did well in holing up play, but once Johnson went out in the second half (I'm guessing b/c of fitness...he's older and his MLS season has been over for a while) the team really lacked pace...I'd have dropped Dempsey in behind Jozy, Bradley in the low-laying playmaker role and played Gomez and Zusi wide late in the match to threaten from the flanks. I think starting both Gonzalez and Cameron at CB was a poor choice as well...Bocanegra should've started ahead of one of them...don't care which...to be an experienced presence. One could really blame both goals on the CBs...first may be a stretch, but certainly the second. Cameron is a good player, but he's playing midfield at Stoke and really defended like one on a few occasions.

i think New Caledonia still has a chance to grab the OFC spot in the playoff if they can pull of the road upset next month..

stinks that we lost the game, especially after grabbing the 1-nil lead on a deuce goal, but I think we'll be fine. Just win at home and steal a few (or take the draws) on the road. I even tried to put my pessimistic mode on and I still couldn't really see a way where we finish 5th or 6th. I am NOT saying that I'm ok with 4th...far from it, but even in my most dire scenarios I can't see us not finishing top 4 in the hex. I like our chances in the playoff, even if it comes to that. Just a super early prediction, with 9 games to go (I like predictions):

1. U.S.

2. Panama

3. Mexico

4. Jamaica

5. Honduras

6. Costa Rica

I really have no clue. I hope (and think) that we'll get on track and grab the top spot, I think Panama is gonna start rolling (predict they won't lose at home) to grab their first berth ever, Mexico for the 6th time in a row, and then Jamaica off to play NZ ( don't think New Caledonia pulls off the W in Mordor), gave the nod to Honduras over CR because of their recent win over us, plus the Ticos have a tough finishing stretch.

I was just assuming the New Zealand would take it. They are #3 on my soccer rooting list (behind distant #1 USA and #2 Ireland), and I do not see them losing (or tying) new caledonia at home, Plus there is a round of games the week after that would make it come down to GD.

As for Hex predictions, mine are still the same as when it all started.

1. Mexico - Despite the tie I still don't see them finishing below 1st.

2. USA - Really where we belong until we can pull our stuff together...Mexico has amassed a very talented team.

3. Honduras - I think they manage to get in without Jonathan Bornstein this time.

4. Costa Rica - Off to play the Kiwis again. (EDIT: Nevermind, the playoff was with CONMEBOL last cycle...)

5. Panama - Just don't think they'll be able to sneak into the Top for even with FCD striker Blas Perez.

6. Jamaica - Raggae Boyz can't concentrate long enough to qualify.

I as well could be dead wrong. Could see any of the bottom 4 flip flopping to anwhere else. Realistically, in some order, the USA and Mexico ought to be 1 and 2.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I'm not worried yet...you could tell the players were having problems adjusting to the conditions (90 degrees and 90% humidity) and the pitch (slowest I've seen).

I also think Klinsmann made some tactical and player selection errors that I trust he'll remedy ahead of their next match...that Honduras match was just begging for Hercules Gomez as a second half sub...Jozy did well in holing up play, but once Johnson went out in the second half (I'm guessing b/c of fitness...he's older and his MLS season has been over for a while) the team really lacked pace...I'd have dropped Dempsey in behind Jozy, Bradley in the low-laying playmaker role and played Gomez and Zusi wide late in the match to threaten from the flanks. I think starting both Gonzalez and Cameron at CB was a poor choice as well...Bocanegra should've started ahead of one of them...don't care which...to be an experienced presence. One could really blame both goals on the CBs...first may be a stretch, but certainly the second. Cameron is a good player, but he's playing midfield at Stoke and really defended like one on a few occasions.

Despite his age we could really use Landom Donovan in my opinion. He is still plenty good to help this team.

Despite his age we could really use Landom Donovan in my opinion. He is still plenty good to help this team.

Agree..and as soon as Landon figures out if he still wants to play or not, we could see him back in the mix soon.

Looks like Dallas will not be getting one of the Hexagonal home games...which isn't a shock because US soccer tries to schedule the games in places where the other teams won't have many fans. It's looking like:

June 11th vs. Panama - Seattle, WA - Century Link Field (where the Seahwawks and Sounders play...should be a 70,000 pro-American crowd)

June 18th vs. Honduras - Salt Lake City, UT - Rio Tinto Stadium (soccer-specific and seats about 20,000)

September 10th vs. Mexico - Columbus, OH - Crew Stadium (soccer specific seats about 25,000...this one usually gets the Mexico game...known for 2-0 USA wins)

October 11th vs. Jamaica - Kansas City, KS - LiveStrong Sporting Park (great venue with about 20,000 seats...stronghold so far for USA soccer)

In other news, Dallas and Houston are venues for the 2013 Gold Cup, but no schedule released quite yet...chances of the USA playing down here are slim as they schedule to increase attendnace, meaning the central american teams usually get the games in the southern USA.

Looks like Dallas will not be getting one of the Hexagonal home games...which isn't a shock because US soccer tries to schedule the games in places where the other teams won't have many fans. It's looking like:

June 11th vs. Panama - Seattle, WA - Century Link Field (where the Seahwawks and Sounders play...should be a 70,000 pro-American crowd)

June 18th vs. Honduras - Salt Lake City, UT - Rio Tinto Stadium (soccer-specific and seats about 20,000)

September 10th vs. Mexico - Columbus, OH - Crew Stadium (soccer specific seats about 25,000...this one usually gets the Mexico game...known for 2-0 USA wins)

October 11th vs. Jamaica - Kansas City, KS - LiveStrong Sporting Park (great venue with about 20,000 seats...stronghold so far for USA soccer)

In other news, Dallas and Houston are venues for the 2013 Gold Cup, but no schedule released quite yet...chances of the USA playing down here are slim as they schedule to increase attendnace, meaning the central american teams usually get the games in the southern USA.

Yes, the scheduling actually sucks for Dallas area fans...has for some time now!

• 1 month later...

Big game Tuesday. USA vs. Mexico in Azteca.

Any chance of blizzard in Mexico City?

No?

Then play for the draw...hope to hit once or twice on the counter.

Guzan - Goodson - Cameron - Gonzales - Beasley - Edu - Beckerman - Bradley - Dempsey - Gomez - Altidore

Jozy up front holding up play...Gomez wide right providing width...Dempsey nominally left, but tucking in behind Jozy...Bradley serving as pivot in the middle...Beckerman (Jones is out) and Edu camped in front of this piece-meal back-line with Edu shading left to allow Beasley to occasionally use his pace to get forward from LB.

Interesting comments from USA defender Omar Gonzalez:

"I'm really excited," Gonzalez told reporters on Monday. "I still have maybe half of my family that lives in Monterrey, Mexico, and I have a lot of ties here and I'm very proud to be Mexican and to be able to play against Mexico in Azteca is going to be something really special for me. I can't wait for it. I'm going to have a lot of fun with it.

"I'm playing for the US and that's what I always wanted to do," he continued. "But the feeling I feel of being Mexican and playing in Azteca is really hard to put into words. It's really a special time for me."

I understand the point he is getting at, but it's certainly an interesting way to say it.

There's gonna be a lot of praise heaped on Omar Gonzalez...and rightfully so...but for me, DeMarcus Beasley has turned in two brave and gritty performances these past two matches. It was clear Mexico wanted to go at him, and while he was certainly exposed a few times I felt he gave a real yeoman-like effort...fighting through a few knocks and being the focal point of Mexico's attack. He's gonna be an experienced and versatile super-sub once Chandler and Johnson return

Stoked for.the point....Beasley...not bad..great in parts...bad in others...Gonzalez was good...guzan controlled when he needed. Two shutouts....control of the back line...I likely...

Edited by THOR

Interesting how this went...Mexico was the far better team early, then the US got it together a bit, made some runs, held the ball a bit and saw some excellent play out of goal and the back line late top preserve the tie. Mexico was horrible on set plays! I think the Mexican Coach may be in a bit of "hot water". These guys are much better than they have been playing, while the US still looks a bit erratic and unsettled. Hats off the Beasley, Gonzales and Guzman.

Wondering if Donovan will ever reappear????

Wondering if Donovan will ever reappear????

I'm far from the biggest Donovan fan, but ya...I'm starting to think this side will need him if it wants to make any noise in '14. The attack just looks so listless without him right now...Dempsey is industrious, but lacks creativity...Zusi and Gomez are solid "rail" wingers who work their tails off on both end, but I'd prefer only one be on the pitch at any given time.

​It might be bit fortuitous, but Klinsmann has this side sitting in a strong position in the Hex despite the rash of injuries and Donovan's absence...and the experience the likes of Gonzalez, Besler and Beasley are gaining is invaluable...and once the side is fully fit will make it difficult (in the best of ways) for Klinsmann to name his top 4 on the back-line.

For my money if everyone's fit and Donovan is in the squad...

- Howard

- F. Johnson - Gonzalez - Bocanegra - Chandler/Cameron

- Bradley - J. Jones - Donovan

- Dempsey - Altidore - Gomez

Bench

- Guzan

- Chandler/Cameron

- Beasley

- Edu

- Shea/Kljestan/Zusi - 2 of the 3

- E. Johnson

I think that's a much deeper, more experienced and higher-quality squad than we brought to South Africa