UNT's Devante Davis transfers to Southeastern La.

Harry

HAMMOND Southeastern Louisiana University head football coach Ron Roberts announced Wednesday that defensive back and Baton Rouge native Devante Davis has transferred from the University of North Texas and will play for the Lions in the 2013 season.

Davis, who will have three years of eligibility remaining, enrolled at Southeastern and attended the first day of classes on Tuesday. The former Woodlawn High product will participate in spring practice that begins on Feb. 25.

Read more: http://www.amitetoday.com/view/full_story/21494746/article-Lions-add-Baton-Rouge-native-Devante-Davis-to-2013-football-roster?instance=news_special_coverage_right_column

Yeah, this doesn't explain the extra scholly for the 2013 recruiting class.

Well, never like to see players who showed promise as a true freshman leave, but defensive back is turning out to be one of our deepest positions on this team. Let's see if Xavier Kelly and/or David Busby take care of this opportunity in spring.

• Upvote 1

I predict a few more will leave after spring and wont return next year. The writting is on the wall with these 2013 offers. When you have that many dbs on the roster and you are still looking for dbs, then something is wrong. Playing 10 yards of the ball isnt going to cut it. Looks like unt is trying to get faster.

• Upvote 1

Didn't need him.

Agreed. This year will be interesting because it will give us a better idea of how the Louisiana experiment is working out. Mac has our top recruiter Justin Gaines spending a lot of time there. We should get a better idea this coming season on guys like Jamarcus Jarvis, LaJaylin Smith, Mark Lewis and Jermaine Antoine in terms of their combined impact on the program. When we started into this I don't think we suspected Tulane rebounding as they have under Curtis Johnson and of course La. Tech and others do well in that region consistently.

Devante Davis is a true athlete! He competed for that position and outplayed EVERY one for it during UNT's camp. No you guys don't need him but you should want him. He is a playmaker, he is extremely fast and very athletic. He is a competitor and he will never let anyone out play or out work him. Devante IS the competition and he is very used to and very comfortable competing with SEC caliber talent. He didn't gel with the team as we would have hoped, it happens! I would have loved for him to stay in the program at UNT but at the end of the day it's his decision and I understand that he felt alone being 8hrs away from home and his friends. He didn't come home for any of the breaks or holidays and that was hard. Expect to continue to hear great things. There was a reason that Coach Gaines spent so much time recruiting him starting his Sophomore year!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Devante Davis is a true athlete! He competed for that position and outplayed EVERY one for it during UNT's camp. No you guys don't need him but you should want him. He is a playmaker, he is extremely fast and very athletic. He is a competitor and he will never let anyone out play or out work him. Devante IS the competition and he is very used to and very comfortable competing with SEC caliber talent. He didn't gel with the team as we would have hoped, it happens! I would have loved for him to stay in the program at UNT but at the end of the day it's his decision and I understand that he felt alone being 8hrs away from home and his friends. He didn't come home for any of the breaks or holidays and that was hard. Expect to continue to hear great things. There was a reason that Coach Gaines spent so much time recruiting him starting his Sophomore year!

Thanks for the input Antoinette....just like Devante returning home.... we have plenty of transfers who felt the same way about while transferring TO North Texas. It's understandable in my book.

We wish him well and thank you for sharing this. Very classy post.

We wish him well and thank you for sharing this. Very classy post.

SELU has a great program and coaching staff. Davis should be very productive there. The coaches are hungry to win and have turned the program around in 2 seasons. Coach Roberts and Franks have worked together and had a history of winning. They choose players carefully and do recruit for years, building relationships and teams. Franks has followed Accettura (the athlete that transfered in this Spring DL that is transitioning positions to LB/FB) and stood behind Accettura up to this season when he chose to stay close to home and attend UNT. The coaches are also looking at several more local talented athletes and offers should be coming soon. Texas and LA are competitive and both will benefit and have losses across the board.

I wish Davis the best. GMG

• Upvote 1

No idea why Davis is leaving, as he was one of NT's supposed better recruits last year. Actually, last year NT loaded up on DBs and are repeating that process again. With Davis, Busby, Kelly, Mitchell and others it was supposed to be NT strongest recruited position last year.

It is obvious with NT continued heavy recruiting of dbs, that NT has not found the players they are looking for or at least enough.

Great post. I hate to see him go, but wish him all the best. It's never easy being so far away from family.