Kent Riddle headed to ASU

Harry

I was referring only to his decision to leave for ASU (which is a super awesome place according to ARKSTFAN) and nothing else. You're right it was probably a bit harsh.

If you don't understand why a coach would leave for a program that pays its coaches more money, puts more fans in the stands, has won as many games in 2 years as you have in 7, has defeated your program eight consecutive times, and is coached by someone he knows... you might want to step back and take off the fan glasses.

• Upvote 4

If you don't understand why a coach would leave for a program that pays its coaches more money, puts more fans in the stands, has won as many games in 2 years as you have in 7, has defeated your program eight consecutive times, and is coached by someone he knows... you might want to step back and take off the fan glasses.

But if we step back and "take off the fan glasses" we get slammed by the pom pom shakers for being negative.

Of course, for me, that's just an added bonus........... B)

• Upvote 2

But if we step back and "take off the fan glasses" we get slammed by the pom pom shakers for being negative.

Yeah you don't want to see some of our threads where I 'splained how CUSA picks teams and the conclusion we aren't painting over the Sun Belt logos any time soon. That isn't well received either.

Please stop. You guys are more awesome than awesome and we can't handle that level of awesomeness.

I went to the game in Jonesboro last year and the people here who have disparaged that fine city and campus have vastly over rated it.

• Upvote 1

Well at least we will get a chance to break that losing streak in CUSA...oh wait, nevermind. That's right, CUSA is way below you guys.

Well at least we will get a chance to break that losing streak in CUSA...oh wait, nevermind. That's right, CUSA is way below you guys.

Nice try. If you ever bother to read anything I've posted, never said CUSA was beneath ASU. I've said repeatedly that CUSA won't consider ASU. Look at the last five years of the Sun Belt in football. CUSA only took one of the top four programs.We don't fit what CUSA wants. I could act like the minority here and be a baby about stuff not going perfectly as I would like. I accept reality we aren't in a large TV market and we lack the reality distortion field that Tech has that brainwashes people into believing they are some unique rising star.

We're stuck in the Sun Belt but we aren't sitting around pouting. We've reached out to the community, we sell tickets, we secure donations and we work to build the best program we can.

Sneer at ASU and a nice community if that is how you fnd validation or maybe start asking why your program isn't demanding accountability and isn't taking care of business like the rubes do.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Sneer at ASU and a nice community if that is how you fnd validation or maybe start asking why your program isn't demanding accountability and isn't taking care of business like the rubes do.

I wish we had half the success at the game of football that ASU has had the last 8 years.

We got into CUSA because of facilities provided by student fees and TV market., not performance on the field. Not really anything to talk noise about.

Arkstfan, it has been a really rough couple of months around here. People will vent at any outsider. Keeps us from venting at each other.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I wish we had half the success at the game of football that ASU has had the last 8 years.

We got into CUSA because of facilities provided by student fees and TV market., not performance on the field. Not really anything to talk noise about.

Arkstfan, it has been a really rough couple of months around here. People will vent at any outsider. Keeps us from venting at each other.

Been there and realigment isn't going to be any less stressful the next few months. Just hate seeing a guy slammed for making a business decision.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Been there and realigment isn't going to be any less stressful the next few months. Just hate seeing a guy slammed for making a business decision.

I'm very sorry I called the guy a moron on a message board. Overreaction? Sure. But it's a message board. I wish him the best in whatever he does and hope we replace him with a coach 10X better, which should be the goal whenever we replace a coach in any sport. On a separate note, I may be in the minority here, but I don't really care at all about how great a place Jonesboro is or how successful your program has been in recent years, or if your coaches get their meals paid for at the local BBQ restaurant. Not because I'm bitter, but because there is a place for that. It's called the Arkansas State fan board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Coaches, especially at the assistant level, switch programs for a cornucopia of reasons, so we shouldn't be quick to assume that the decision has anything to do with either stupidity or prestige/payroll.

I have great respect for ASU's accomplishments over the last few years (in fact I drove out to Lafayette to cheer for them in the 2005 New Orleans Bowl), However, in the great scheme of things, I don't think either UNT or ASU fans need to be thumping chests when compared to one another. In terms of athletic expenditures and bowl victories, we're both equally dismal.

Edited by Greendylan
  • Upvote 1

A-State has a good program,nice stadium, and good fan base. A bonus as an assistant coach is their recent history of beaing able to move to up to larger schools as openings become available. Finally, the title of assistant[or associate] head coach is just a way to pay them more,nothing else. One only has to look at our recent hire of an assistant head basketball coach to lead our men's program as a prime example. I wish A-State nothing but the best. It's hard to say anything negative about as opponent who kicked your butt 8 years in a row. Whatever flavor of koolaid they are drinking needs to be on out sideline.

• Upvote 1

Probably because they might just be the only "Pom poms" you have ever been hit with....... :-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We're stuck in the Sun Belt but we aren't sitting around pouting. We've reached out to the community, we sell tickets, we secure donations and we work to build the best program we can..

Amazing concept...sell tickets, secure donations....I wonder if that has had anything to do with the recent success Ark St. Has seen? Some here seem to think that sort of thing does't help to improve a program, and we should be going to bowl games and then folks will donate and buy tickets.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Amazing concept...sell tickets, secure donations....I wonder if that has had anything to do with the recent success Ark St. Has seen? Some here seem to think that sort of thing does't help to improve a program, and we should be going to bowl games and then folks will donate and buy tickets.

Nice try, keep on preaching but your logic makes no sense. In fact we dominated the Sun Belt with less support than we have while getting our asses handed to us. You want to explain that to me?

ArkStFan might have the correct numbers but I doubt they have outdrawn us by much if at all the past couple of years.

Or could it be they've made good coaching hires and have had outstanding quarterback play.

Naaahhh.

• Upvote 2

@Arkstfan - can u explain the firing of your AD not too long ago. Was it due to lack of donations , ticket sales or was there a scandal ?

Someone can certainly correct my #'s if I'm wrong , but i believe the Red Wolf Club raised over 2 million dollars this past season while our Mean Green Club was sitting at less than $400,000 brought it. These #'s are me going off memory , so I certainly can be wrong

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

@Arkstfan - can u explain the firing of your AD not too long ago. Was it due to lack of donations , ticket sales or was there a scandal ?

Someone can certainly correct my #'s if I'm wrong , but i believe the Red Wolf Club raised over 2 million dollars this past season while our Mean Green Club was sitting at less than $400,000 brought it. These #'s are me going off memory , so I certainly can be wrong

Word is that the AD disagreed with Malzahn on how things should be done to "take this thing to the next level", and Gus went over his head to big boosters and/or system president and/or the governor(huge stAte fan) and Lee was reassigned. I'm sure Arkstfan will correct this if necessary.

• Upvote 2

Nice try, keep on preaching but your logic makes no sense. In fact we dominated the Sun Belt with less support than we have while getting our asses handed to us. You want to explain that to me?

ArkStFan might have the correct numbers but I doubt they have outdrawn us by much if at all the past couple of years.

Or could it be they've made good coaching hires and have had outstanding quarterback play.

Naaahhh.

2012 Attendance

1. Arkansas State...26,398

2. Louisiana...22,865

3. TROY...20,952

4. ULM...19,359*

5. North Texas...18,927

6. MTSU...17,738

7. WKU...17,414

8. USA...16,793

9. FIU...13,634

10. FAU...13,459

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=604296&pid=8724768#pid8724768

I think 2011 stAte was 2nd and Louisiana was first.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How much does ASU pay their head coach vs how much do we pay ours?

Harsin is being paid $700,000, has use of a home in a gated golf community, has two cars provided, and has no utility payments except for cable and internet.

Malzahn was getting $850,000 and turned down $1.4 million to stay rather than go to Auburn.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dr. Lee was doing a poor job raising money. Most of the big increases the past two years came about because the Governor turned his donor list over to the system president and began holding cocktail receptions at the Governor's Mansion to get donors to meet the leaders.

The coach and the president were there for the receptions but the AD was never invited to attend.

The new chancellor blew his stack when he asked all department heads to submit a one to three page summary of where their department was and what their goals were and how they were going to achieve them. The AD never bothered to submit his and six weeks later he was reassigned.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1