Tulsa World...leaky, leaky?

http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1774&tid=160708219&mid=160708219&sid=1115&style=2

This guy claims TW briefly posted a story confirming TU and UTEP to the MWC, then took it off line shortly thereafter.

E-mailed one of the former TU players I graduated with, he said MWC for sure.

Our saving grace could be the money, with MWC pie being split too many ways...but, renegotiating the TV deal is one of the things supposedly on the MWC agenda this weekend.

Whatever is happening, something is happening.

(The thread devolves into the TU folk snobbing a UH poster who claims Big East superiority, then waxes positively about the Cougars' chances of parlaying the realignment confusion into an ACC invite. Yes...he did.)

http://tulsa.rivals....id=1115&style=2

This guy claims TW briefly posted a story confirming TU and UTEP to the MWC, then took it off line shortly thereafter.

E-mailed one of the former TU players I graduated with, he said MWC for sure.

Our saving grace could be the money, with MWC pie being split too many ways...but, renegotiating the TV deal is one of the things supposedly on the MWC agenda this weekend.

Whatever is happening, something is happening.

(The thread devolves into the TU folk snobbing a UH poster who claims Big East superiority, then waxes positively about the Cougars' chances of parlaying the realignment confusion into an ACC invite. Yes...he did.)

The UH poster was that idiot CougarKing.

• Upvote 3

Really looking forward to a conference with Tulsa !

I only see this as a benefit for Tulsa if MWC sets up a Eastern Div. They would be the only school out of the time zone.

Filling up a stadium with regional competition and lower travel expense has to be a benefit at some point !

If it is just UTEP and Tulsa then that basically cuts both of them out of recruiting the majority of Texas. I assume both get the majority of their players for Texas.

Edit: Utep has 70 players from Texas and Tulsa has 25.

Edited by glick1980

If it is just UTEP and Tulsa then that basically cuts both of them out of recruiting the majority of Texas. I assume both get the majority of their players for Texas.

Edit: Utep has 70 players from Texas and Tulsa has 25.

TU has 24 players from Texas, and 49 overall from states not named Oklahoma. They do a good job of getting players from around the country. About a quarter Texans, another quarter from the other lower 48, and half from Oklahoma. Not bad.

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tuls-m-footbl-mtt.html

If Tulsa and UTEP bail to the MWC, that kinda sweetens the deal...but maybe not enough to pull the trigger on a move out of C-USA.

If MWC decides to expand East, we need to hope we're a target.

If any/all of UTSA, LATech, or Rice also left to the MWC with those 2, I would say that UNT needs to get in MWC ASAP.

If any more of the old Cusa members leave, then all bets are off...the momentum to exit has just increased....and we should immediately look for a hookup with MWC.

I still don't understand why Tulsa and UTEP want to go to the Mountain West. I hope we have a backup plan. This conference won't be any worse than the current Sun Belt, as it's DOA, but not any better than the Belt was this year. We still have the TV money and name recognition though. I think we stick it out. Moving to the MWC is no different than moving to last year's Sun Belt.

• Upvote 1

As I have said before, I am not sure on their current admissions polcies, but I am pretty sure they used to be an open admissions university. Nebraska should never be associated with outstanding universities like Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana.

They did and may still have ear open admissions as there isn't a junior college system in the state. But they wee in the AAU and would not have gotten into the B1G without that. The AAU status is hard to get and retain. It did put the in with those schools.

But they have recently been kicked out of the AAU.

Let's see. Tulsa's nearest conference mate is more than 500 miles away and only four more within 1,000; little or no more TV money due to smaller markets; would be far and away the easternmost member of the conference; and no Top 25 teams unless and until Boise State returns and travel expenses out the yingyang. At least there are no moveups. I thought Tulsa was strong academically. Where is the gray matter in this move?

Now if they could add the Dallas and Houston markets, as they did when they moved to the WAC, that might begin to make sense.

Edited by GrayEagle