Derek Thompson thanks UNT fans for their support

Harry

Oh, c'mon. This is hardly an address as it is a blurb.

I was really secretly hoping he would pull a Tebow, press conference himself up, and vouch for his unyielding devotion and responsibility to the team at some point this season.

Nope, instead we get <140 character quips of his remorse.

(Though, I do myself love Twitter.)

Edited by Christopher Walker

Nice touch from #7. Appreciate his acknowledgement of the fans support through a tough season. If, as a fan, you think it was a tough go.....think how it has been for these guys who have been the ones who actually went through it each and every day.

I appreciate this note from Derek....

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Can't blame DT. He was given the task of being QB and he did it. While we wish we saw better results it is what it is and at the end of the day he's a young man and he tried his best.

This. Some of the shots taken at DT on this board strike me as personal. I'm disappointed in his season, but I appreciate his willingness to sacrifice for the Mean Green. He's one of ours, and always will be. And I'm sure I'm not half as disappointed in his season as he is.

• Upvote 5

Can't blame DT. He was given the task of being QB and he did it. While we wish we saw better results it is what it is and at the end of the day he's a young man and he tried his best.

This. Some of the shots taken at DT on this board strike me as personal. I'm disappointed in his season, but I appreciate his willingness to sacrifice for the Mean Green. He's one of ours, and always will be. And I'm sure I'm not half as disappointed in his season as he is.

There are groupies for this kind of thing, guys. Geez.

Seriously, "he was given the task of being QB" ?? We aren't talking about a calling here. The guy has grown up to play this position, excelled at it in HS, and fought for it in practice. He wasn't plucked from his farm and given a helmet, pads and playbook.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Derek struggled at times for sure. But, the passing game success is based on the offense working as a team. I thought coming into the season that WR was our weakest spot on the team. I still feel that way.

Next year's WR crop should be an upgrade, which will help either Bergland or DT.

• Upvote 1

Derek struggled at times for sure. But, the passing game success is based on the offense working as a team. I thought coming into the season that WR was our weakest spot on the team. I still feel that way.

Next year's WR crop should be an upgrade, which will help either Bergland or DT.

I thought although DT was wild high for some reason this year compared to last a lot had to do with his WRs especially after Chancellor was lost. Many times I saw receivers quit on routes that if they keep running the pass would have been perfect. DT doesn't play defense and our secondary was slow, short, gave way too much cushion, and really never hit that well. It seems as was the case at WKU when something bad happened (DT int) that the defense would run up a white flag rather than gutting it up. I saw this happen time after time late in the year. It almost even happened at FAU. As in most college programs the QB gets way too much adoration for the team's success, and conversely way too much criticism for its failure. You certainly can't point a finger to any one player or coach here. There were plenty of shortcomings in several areas. The one that surprised me most was lack of tenacity by the D on 3rd and 4th downs all year long.

I thought although DT was wild high for some reason this year compared to last a lot had to do with his WRs especially after Chancellor was lost. Many times I saw receivers quit on routes that if they keep running the pass would have been perfect. DT doesn't play defense and our secondary was slow, short, gave way too much cushion, and really never hit that well. It seems as was the case at WKU when something bad happened (DT int) that the defense would run up a white flag rather than gutting it up. I saw this happen time after time late in the year. It almost even happened at FAU. As in most college programs the QB gets way too much adoration for the team's success, and conversely way too much criticism for its failure. You certainly can't point a finger to any one player or coach here. There were plenty of shortcomings in several areas. The one that surprised me most was lack of tenacity by the D on 3rd and 4th downs all year long.

I would add that when you get into 3rd and long, 4th and long like this team did so often, then you are not going to have much success no matter what you do.

• Upvote 1

Derek digressed this year. If you cannot complete slants, stops, curls, outs, swing, and screen passes (all short passes) that are from the ROUTINE PASSING TREE in FBS football, then you are going to struggle offensively. Derek was unable to do that on a consistent basis this fall and the trickle down effect on the offense, the coaches, and the rest of the team was enormous.

I'm sorry guys, but Derek won the position battle in practice and with that comes accountability and responsibility. He seems like a good kid, but his play this year was very poor. You can't win with QB play like we saw from Derek in 2012.

• Upvote 3

Derek digressed this year. If you cannot complete slants, stops, curls, outs, swing, and screen passes (all short passes) that are from the ROUTINE PASSING TREE in FBS football, then you are going to struggle offensively. Derek was unable to do that on a consistent basis this fall and the trickle down effect on the offense, the coaches, and the rest of the team was enormous.

I'm sorry guys, but Derek won the position battle in practice and with that comes accountability and responsibility. He seems like a good kid, but his play this year was very poor. You can't win with QB play like we saw from Derek in 2012.

QFT

If I ever get some free time away from procrastinating in my grad studies I will finish that dang video on DT's INTs v MTSU. Problem is Dan McCarney didn't believe Osborn could do better, which makes me sad. :(

• Upvote 1

Love this kid Thompson. Despite having a thinner WR corp than last year, then having it further decimated by the #1 WR's injury, he kept his completion percentage at the same level as the year before.

Hope he one day gets a chance to throw than more than one playmaker at a time. The kid's a big, tough, gamer. Look forward to seeing him on the field again leading us into C-USA play in 2013.

Give 'em hell, Derek!

• Downvote 1

Love this kid Thompson. Despite having a thinner WR corp than last year, then having it further decimated by the #1 WR's injury, he kept his completion percentage at the same level as the year before.

Hope he one day gets a chance to throw than more than one playmaker at a time. The kid's a big, tough, gamer. Look forward to seeing him on the field again leading us into C-USA play in 2013.

Give 'em hell, Derek!

Cougar King could learn a lot from your style. So effective.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 4

Give 'em hell, Derek!

That sounded very Gruden-esque. Yes we need more playmakers for sure! But we have to be able to deliver them the ball when they are open.

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1

That sounded very Gruden-esque. Yes we need more playmakers for sure! But we have to be able to deliver them the ball when they are open.

Gruden has a Super Bowl ring...won with Brad Johnson at QB. Not sexy, but he had two playmakers at WR in Keyshawn Johnson and Keenan McCardell to go along with big, tough WR Joe Jurevicius, who three years later helped lead Seattle to their only Super Bowl appearance. Those three had 15 touchdowns among them.

Throw in another five more TDs from TEs Rickey Dudley and Kent Dilger, plus tough running when needed from Mike Alstott and Michael Pittman, and I'd say Gruden knows firsthand the importance of surrounding a QB with playmakers.

Whoever our QB is in 2013, more than one guy needs to step up at WR.