Coach Mac's WKU post game interview transcript

Harry

"And the guy that made the play was a guy that I helped recruit to Florida, Jonathan Dawling from Bradenton southeast and he left Florida and transferred to WKU and it was a sensational play he made for the touchdown today."

Hey McCarney.......................we don't care a flying flip who you helped recruit to Florida. Tell us what you did for UNT today!!!!

He's trying to get people to chill the F out and stop calling for his head already.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of salesmanship here, but not much customer support. Not sure if we haven't just upgraded from a Dodge Dart to a Caravan. Still just wondering the car lot.

How are the kids grading out as husbands and fathers these days.

The guy is still light years ahead of Southlake Jesus, but I don't have much confidence in bowling. 4-8 next year too. Better competition, same talent, same hide in a foxhole strategy.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of salesmanship here, but not much customer support. Not sure if we haven't just upgraded from a Dodge Dart to a Caravan. Still just wondering the car lot.

How are the kids grading out as husbands and fathers these days.

The guy is still light years ahead of Southlake Jesus, but I don't have much confidence in bowling. 4-8 next year too. Better competition, same talent, same hide in a foxhole strategy.

Still not taking to the passing lane?

• Upvote 1

Ok...this is going to be a bit out of character for me, so don't fall over dead and think that I have gone over to the dark side here....but, I too am tiring of all this "skins on the wall stuff"...and the what we (me and my coaching staff) have done at other schools. That was OK in year one, but it is time to move along. Let's talk about UNT and what one has done here and what one is DOING here and what one will do here.

I get it...it is a good bit of Coach speak, but let us all move along now. We are officially in year three of the Mac era...I believe in Mac and Company, but I am tiring of hearing about what went on elsewhere. I care about what goes on at UNT and with the Mean Green.

I believe Coach Mac and Company can indeed get it done here, so let's talk about that....go sign kids for UNT, go Coach 'em up and let's go out and win in year three. My bride and I will be there in support all the way and so will the fans of the Mean Green Nation. Year three starts NOW!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

Ok...this is going to be a bit out of character for mr, so don't fall over dead and think that I have gone over to the dark side here....but, I too am tiring of all this "skins on the wall stuff"...and the what we (me and my coaching staff) have done at other schools. That was OK in year one, but it is time to move along. Let's talk about UNT and what one has done here and what one is DOING her and what one will do here.

I get it...it is a good bit of Coach speak, but let us all move along now. We are officially in year three of the Mac era...I believe in Mac and Company, but I am tiring of hearing about what went on elsewhere. I care about what goes on at UNT and with the Mean Green.

This is a tired bit from McCarney. I was always taught to do my job, do it well, and let others sing your praises.

This is the last thing he should have said after quitting on the current team he coaches.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

This is the last thing he should have said after quitting on the current team he coaches.

You really think Mac quit? I don't think "quit" is even in his vocabulary....did not get to see or hear the game against WKY....so, I know others who did have more basis to speak that me on this one, but I am speaking to the character of the man here, and I don't think the guy knows how to quit.

I realize folks are VERY frustrated about this season...sure, so am I, and so is the team. But, quit? Doubtful...very doubtful. In my opinion....

He should have just left it at the fact that the kid was a transfer from Florida and left his involvement out of it. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think his point was that this was a kid that was talented enough to be courted by upper echelon football schools. That point was covered up when he threw his own name into the mix.

You really think Mac quit? I don't think "quit" is even in his vocabulary....did not get to see or hear the game against WKY....so, I know others who did have more basis to speak that me on this one, but I am speaking to the character of the man here, and I don't think the guy knows how to quit.

I realize folks are VERY frustrated about this season...sure, so am I, and so is the team. But, quit? Doubtful...very doubtful. In my opinion....

We were up 14. DT throws the pick 6, we are up 8 (missed PAT). DMac refused to let DT throw the ball again in the next 2 series. 6 running plays (not even creative ones) and 2 punts later, we are down a point.

DT made a bad mistake, but instead of trusting the only QB he has allowed to take meaningful snaps all year, DMac tells DT "you suck, I don't trust you and won't let you throw another pass."

Yes, DMac absolutely quit on his team Saturday. And the thing is, it's not like we were playing for a bowl birth or conference title. We were playing to instill confidence in this team for next year.

Instead of installing confidence and telling the offense "I trust you, go get it back," DMac tells them "you guys cannot be trusted to not give the game away. We will just punt and trust our defense."

I would not blame DT if he transferred (or whatever you call it when you graduate and go play for another school) after that game. No matter what you think of DT, he was not given the chance to try and win the game until we were behind, and that was complete coach quit on DMac's part. And DMac did that to a QB he may be counting on next year???

No wonder DT regressed this year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jonathan Dowling was a 2010 recruit to Florida, which means he transferred in 2011 or 2012.

So, in essence, Coach Mac was bragging about not being able to recruit this kid to UNT when the kid decided to leave Florida, even though he had a prior relationship with the kid.

Brilliant.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Admittedly I missed the 3Q of the game putting up lights, but caught the last 5 minutes of the game. I think DMac did quit on the team and I use the last WKU series. Yes there would have only been 2-3 seconds left on the clock but why did DMac not call a TO and force WKU to either snap again or kick a FG and let the team either try to run a KO back or at least give DT and players a chance for a hail mary? Yes I know may only be a 1% chance of success but he took it out of the players hands and gave up.

Mac is a great speaker, but his decisions cost the team 2 victories, he killed Olen in Troy game and then crushed DT on Saturday. Now I think the team could have been better with trying another QB during the season, but Mac let everything ride on DT and his arm.

With a dislocated finger then why continue to play him, that is why the team has back-up QB's. For crying out loud, if he could not throw effectively then put in Osborne or the 3rd string. Glad DT is a trooper but that does not win games. This was on DMac and his turtle-shelling the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Could this have anything to do with not throwing the ball much in the 2nd half? Sometimes the general fan does no always have the whole story.

A8kkD_ICYAA9hSY.jpg

There is way too much BS being thrown about when no one really has all the facts about why things changed in the 2nd half. At least try and get the play sequences right..

Western Kentucky at 12:44 UNT WKU DRIVE TOTALS: WKU drive: 0 plays 0 yards, 00:00 WKU TD North Texas at 12:39 UNT WKU DRIVE TOTALS: NT drive: 6 plays 16 yards, 03:52 NT PUNT Western Kentucky at 8:47 UNT WKU DRIVE TOTALS: WKU drive: 5 plays 41 yards, 01:37 WKU FG North Texas at 7:03 UNT WKU DRIVE TOTALS: NT drive: 3 plays 7 yards, 02:06 NT PUNT Western Kentucky at 4:57 UNT WKU Hendrix Brakefield pass attempt failed . 24 16 <a href="http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515720/jesse-roy">Jesse Roy kickoff for 62 yards returned by Jeremy Brown for 11 yards to the NoTex 14, tackled by Daerius Washington. 1st and 10 at UNT 14 Jeremy Brown rush for 5 yards to the NoTex 19, tackled by Xavius Boyd. 24 16 2nd and 5 at UNT 19 Jeremy Brown rush for 4 yards to the NoTex 23, tackled by Kiante Young and Andrew Jackson. 3rd and 1 at UNT 23 Derek Thompson rush for 1 yard to the NoTex 24, tackled by Jamarcus Allen and Jonathan Dowling for a 1ST down. 1st and 10 at UNT 24 Jeremy Brown rush for a loss of 2 yards to the NoTex 22, tackled by Xavius Boyd and Andrew Jackson. 2nd and 12 at UNT 22 Jeremy Brown rush for no gain to the NoTex 22, tackled by Xavius Boyd and Andrew Jackson. 3rd and 12 at UNT 22 Brandin Byrd rush for 8 yards to the NoTex 30, tackled by Jamarcus Allen. 4th and 4 at UNT 30 Will Atterberry punt for 20 yards, downed at the 50 yard line. 1st and 10 at WKU 50 Kawaun Jakes pass complete to Mitchell Henry for 43 yards to the NoTex 7, tackled by Zac Whitfield and Lairamie Lee for a 1ST down. 24 16 1st and Goal at UNT 7 WESTRN KENTUCKY penalty 10 yard holding on Sean Conway accepted. 1st and Goal at UNT 17 Kawaun Jakes pass incomplete to Willie McNeal. 2nd and Goal at UNT 17 Antonio Andrews rush for 8 yards to the NoTex 9, tackled by Zac Whitfield. 3rd and Goal at UNT 9 Kawaun Jakes pass incomplete to Mitchell Henry, broken up by Hilbert Jackson. 4th and Goal at UNT 9 Garrett Schwettman 27 yard field goal GOOD. 24 19 Jesse Roy kickoff for 56 yards returned by Jeremy Brown for 21 yards to the NoTex 30, tackled by Tyree Robinson. 1st and 10 at UNT 30 Brandin Byrd rush for 2 yards to the NoTex 32, tackled by Calvin Washington. 24 19 2nd and 8 at UNT 32 Brandin Byrd rush for 5 yards to the NoTex 37, tackled by Kiante Young and Andrew Jackson. 3rd and 3 at UNT 37 Brandin Byrd rush for no gain to the NoTex 37, tackled by Kiante Young and Terran Williams. 4th and 3 at UNT 37 Will Atterberry punt for 41 yards, punt out-of-bounds at the WKent 22. 1st and 10 at WKU 22 Antonio Andrews rush for 53 yards to the NoTex 25, tackled by Zac Whitfield and Lairamie Lee for a 1ST down. 24 19 1st and 10 at UNT 25 Keshawn Simpson rush for 4 yards to the NoTex 21, tackled by Hilbert Jackson. 2nd and 6 at UNT 21 Antonio Andrews rush for 21 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 24 25 Kawaun Jakes pass attempt failed . Jesse Roy kickoff for 60 yards returned by Jeremy Brown for 23 yards to the NoTex 28, tackled by Neil Wilson.

We went 3 and out 1 time in that sequence, and that was on a 3rd and 3 with a QB with a busted up hand. If you are goign to sit there an pitch a fit, complain about the D giving up 2 scores in the last 7+ minutes fo the game or abotu why Mac didnt put in another QB.

I know people are frustrated, but it is like now you are reaching to try and make an issue to have something to complain about. There is plenty enough to birch about, pick those topics instead of trying to manufacture a new one.

Fair enough. I forgot that we made 1 first down after the pick 6 before running the ball on 3rd and 12 and then punting. So instead of 6 running plays and 2 punts, it was 9 straight running plays and 2 punts.

Kinda proves my point, don't you think?

And speaking of accuracy, you might want to note that the injury was to DT's LEFT hand, you know, the one that he doesn't use to throw the football?

And let's not forget that DT managed to throw a TD pass in tight coverage with this left hand injury.

Edited by UNT90

Ok...this is going to be a bit out of character for me, so don't fall over dead and think that I have gone over to the dark side here....but, I too am tiring of all this "skins on the wall stuff"...and the what we (me and my coaching staff) have done at other schools. That was OK in year one, but it is time to move along. Let's talk about UNT and what one has done here and what one is DOING here and what one will do here.

I believe Coach Mac and Company can indeed get it done here, so let's talk about that....go sign kids for UNT, go Coach 'em up and let's go out and win in year three. My bride and I will be there in support all the way and so will the fans of the Mean Green Nation. Year three starts NOW!

:o

I'm not going to fall over dead (not yet anyway) nor am I going to think you went to the dark side (that'll never happen), but this is a bit surprising that you put down your pom poms this early in the process and started talking like a businessman.....again. My career was not in the private sector (state of Texas agency), but one aspect of my work experience was the same as in the private sector....results. In my work experience you list your accomplishments (skins on the wall) as part of the process (the other part is the actual interview) to get the job you want. After that, when you meet for your monthly conference with your supervisor it's......what have you done since you've been hired? What's you plan to manage all the challenges that we talked about in our last conference?

And this last statement brings me back to something that I talk about all the time. The challenge at North Texas is NOT the same challenge that you had at Florida, or Iowa St., or South Florida etc etc. The vast majority of coaches out there are not prepared to deal with the type of culture we have here at North Texas. It isn't fair, but you have to address that issue as well as the win/loss issue. Because when you become the Head coach at North Texas you are the person in charge of the football program....in all aspects.

As much as he was hammered for it when he said it, I had to agree with DD when he made his "this is one of the toughest situations in college football" statement. But my reaction to it was different than other people, who got mad at him. I said "well duh! you're just now figuring that out?" Now that it's finally hit you...what are you going to do about it? And the answer to that was NOTHING because to change our "situation", you not only have to be a good coach, you must also have great people skills and public speaking skills. And as we all know by now.....he had neither.

You also have to be keenly aware of this University's long time public image and be prepared to go above and beyond and/or get real creative, when you are out there trying to sell this "situation" to college recruits. In other words you have to have a plan and it needs to be reviewed/assessed more often than just about any other D-1 coach's plan.

One of the big positives with Coach Mac IS his experiences. It give him a lot more credibility with the alumni/fans, the student body, and all those potential recruits out there that could come here and help change our football fortunes. BUT, every time Coach Mac's team losses to a relatively unknown team (the WKU's and MTSU's of the world) he losses a bit of his credibility. Talking about your "skins on the wall" helps mitigate that to a certain extent. But ultimately, like all coaches out there, he is being judged by what everyone in the business world is judged by.......results.

So Mark, you haven't joined the dark side. You've just reverted to your business background experience.....which is.results.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

I won't go as far to say Mac quit. I think that's a bit harsh but he was certainly playing not to lose. You're 4-7 and have nothing to lose in the last game of the year...he should have taken chances and not play conservative. Even in other games when it came down to the home stretch it was the playing not to lose attitude versus man we're effin going for this thing. We don't have the luxury to do that because our defense isn't good enough to shut down an opponent especially during crunch time. That is what I observed many games this season.

Coach McCarney goes conservative after a pick 6 to try and make sure his team hangs onto the victory; loses, and gets slammed here for "quitting" on the team. I think I understand the sentiment, but "quit" is not the right term. At all.

What if... Coach McCarney decides to continue attacking, DT turns the ball over again, or UNT stalls & still has to punt (maybe 10 - 20 yards further down the field), and WKU wins this way as well... what would you guys be saying?

I bet it would be something like this: "Why didn't he go conservative and just run the ball to protect the lead and drain clock?!?", or something like that.

Everyone at every level protects leads late in the game by minimizing TO opportunities via running the ball. I thought this was elementary?

The answer should always be "NO!" to attacking for the sake of attacking with a small lead at the end of the game simply because we've already lost bowl eligibility.

Hello!?! You Play. To Win. The Game! Protect your lead by running the ball: effectively.

Solid, common-sense coaching by McCarney/Canales, poor execution by the players. I bet 100% of the players would agree with me.

Now, I'm still VERY concerned with the level of talent we currently have on the roster (based on what we saw this year) going into our inaugural year in C-USA. McCarney is losing time getting "his guys" in here. That excuse goes about 2 years, max.

Need some results now, and it's not going to be easier in 2013.

:o

I'm not going to fall over dead (not yet anyway) nor am I going to think you went to the dark side (that'll never happen), but this is a bit surprising that you put down your pom poms this early in the process and started talking like a businessman.....again. My career was not in the private sector (state of Texas agency), but one aspect of my work experience was the same as in the private sector....results. In my work experience you list your accomplishments (skins on the wall) as part of the process (the other part is the actual interview) to get the job you want. After that, when you meet for your monthly conference with your supervisor it's......what have you done since you've been hired? What's you plan to manage all the challenges that we talked about in our last conference?

And this last statement brings me back to something that I talk about all the time. The challenge at North Texas is NOT the same challenge that you had at Florida, or Iowa St., or South Florida etc etc. The vast majority of coaches out there are not prepared to deal with the type of culture we have here at North Texas. It isn't fair, but you have to address that issue as well as the win/loss issue. Because when you become the Head coach at North Texas you are the person in charge of the football program....in all aspects.

As much as he was hammered for it when he said it, I had to agree with DD when he made his "this is one of the toughest situations in college football" statement. But my reaction to it was different than other people, who got mad at him. I said "well duh! you're just now figuring that out?" Now that it's finally hit you...what are you going to do about it? And the answer to that was NOTHING because to change our "situation", you not only have to be a good coach, you must also have great people skills and public speaking skills. And as we all know by now.....he had neither.

You also have to be keenly aware of this University's long time public image and be prepared to go above and beyond and/or get real creative, when you are out there trying to sell this "situation" to college reycruits. In other words you have to have a plan and it needs to be reviewed/assessed more often than just about any other D-1 coach's plan.

One of the big positives with Coach Mac IS his experiences. It give him a lot more credibility with the alumni/fans, the student body, and all those potential recruits out there that could come here and help change our football fortunes. BUT, every time Coach Mac's team losses to a relatively unknown team (the WKU's and MTSU's of the world) he losses a bit of his credibility. Talking about your "skins on the wall" helps mitigate that to a certain extent. But ultimately, like all coaches out there, he is being judged by what everyone in the business world is judged by.......results.

So Mark, you haven't joined the dark side. You've just reverted to your business background experience.....which is.results.

Plus one for you, Sir!

Really think this is a great response, Silver...appreciate the thoughts here. It points to what I seem to mention time and time again...and that is that the attitude of many of UNT's so called fans is actually part of the problem.

I have always felt that what happens to someone is about 10 percent of the problem....the other 90 percent is what they do about it...that is their attitude. Mean Green fans CAN be part of the solution but so many continue to be part of the problem.

People here are saying that Mac quit...that 's pure crap...there is no quit in that man...but I would say that there is plenty of quit in a good many of those who claim to support UNT. Time for an attitude change around this joint.

Coach McCarney goes conservative after a pick 6 to try and make sure his team hangs onto the victory; loses, and gets slammed here for "quitting" on the team. I think I understand the sentiment, but "quit" is not the right term. At all.

What if... Coach McCarney decides to continue attacking, DT turns the ball over again, or UNT stalls & still has to punt (maybe 10 - 20 yards further down the field), and WKU wins this way as well... what would you guys be saying?

I bet it would be something like this: "Why didn't he go conservative and just run the ball to protect the lead and drain clock?!?", or something like that.

Everyone at every level protects leads late in the game by minimizing TO opportunities via running the ball. I thought this was elementary?

The answer should always be "NO!" to attacking for the sake of attacking with a small lead at the end of the game simply because we've already lost bowl eligibility.

Hello!?! You Play. To Win. The Game! Protect your lead by running the ball: effectively.

Solid, common-sense coaching by McCarney/Canales, poor execution by the players. I bet 100% of the players would agree with me.

Now, I'm still VERY concerned with the level of talent we currently have on the roster (based on what we saw this year) going into our inaugural year in C-USA. McCarney is losing time getting "his guys" in here. That excuse goes about 2 years, max.

Need some results now, and it's not going to be easier in 2013.

Several problems here. The biggest one is that it wasn't "late in the game." There was about 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter when we decided not to throw the ball again for the rest of the season. We were up by one score. Not the time to run out the clock.

Second, I absolutely would have preferred DMac saying "DT, you may be my QB next year. I believe in you. SHake it off and go out there and get it back" than having DMac say "DT, I don't trust you, and I don't care how this affects your confidence next season." I would have preferred DMac telling the offense "It's just one mistake. Remember, we just drove the ball down and score a TD a few minutes ago. This is NO PROBLEM" instead of saying "you guys on offense cannot be trusted. We are just going to punt and gamble with a defense that hasn't really been much better than you guys this year."

Solid coaching to pound the ball 9 straight times against a defense who has in their goal line package because they know you are going to run? Solid coaching to run EVERY PLAY even though the defense is putting 9 and sometimes 10 in the box against you? I guess we just disagree on what solid coaching means...

We do agree that 2013 should be a decisive year for Coach Mac. But it won't be, because we won't pay out that contract if he doesn't perform. Just the price of being little ole UNT.

Edited by UNT90