Better Record Last Year... Why?

UNTeagle88

We're supposed to accept four years of rebuilding under a new coach just to have a "shot" to win conference games, all because the last coach sucked?

UNT fans set the bar lower than any other college football fans in the country. And our team still can't reach it.

You're an ass clown. I am so tired of hearing how UNT fans set the bar low. People like you want to fire a coach after 2 years just so you can peacock around like you set the bar higher than everyone else. BS. Some people just have an ounce of intelligence, which is 1 more ounce than you. If you are firing your coach every year, or even 2, then the revolving door of coaches drives this thing worse. What recruit is going to come to a school where that is happening? We saw it when Dodge was a lame duck, few decent recruits are coming to a school with a lame duck coach.

I don't set the bar low, I set it high. I have had season tickets to football and basketball for I don't know how long. I support them because I expect them to build winning programs and to do that you have to have support. But I also know you have to have more intelligence than 90% of the posters on this board. What retard would fire a coach in his first 2 years when he has, what - quadrupled - the wins per season from the previous 6 or 8 years???? And lets not kid ourselves, this thing started going downhill during the Dickey time, so its a long ways to get back to more consistent winning seasons.

Should we expect more wins than 5 or 4 a season, absolutely. Should we expect it immediately after about 8 years of bad, bad losing? Only if you have no idea what is going on. If we are still under .500 and no clear road to get past that after 4 years, then you make a change and move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 wins one of which was a weak 1-AA and the 2nd being a squeaker over a transitional USA team. Dodge was weak for sure but he did not play 1-AA or transitional teams. This year could have been a 2 win or even one win season, if you take out the players comeback against ULL.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I don't think many are calling for a coaching change and they should not be at this point. McCarney will almost certainly get two more years short of a Shanice Stephens melt down.

However, I don't see how anyone is happy with the progress demonstrated this year ether on the field or thus far in recruiting. There have been some positives, the team is bigger and more fundamentally sound. It was also a relatively young team with lots of players returning next year.

Next year will tell the tale, no more excuses will be acceptable.

• Upvote 2

4 wins one of which was a weak 1-AA and the 2nd being a squeaker over a transitional USA team. Dodge was weak for sure but he did not play 1-AA or transitional teams. This year could have been a 2 win or even one win season, if you take out the players comeback against ULL.

Three of Dodge's six wins were against WKU. Two off those while they were in transition and not conference members.

• Upvote 7

I don't think many are calling for a coaching change and they should not be at this point. McCarney will almost certainly get two more years short of a Shanice Stephens melt down.

However, I don't see how anyone is happy with the progress demonstrated this year ether on the field or thus far in recruiting. There have been some positives, the team is bigger and more fundamentally sound. It was also a relatively young team with lots of players returning next year.

Next year will tell the tale, no more excuses will be acceptable.

Thoroughly agree 5 to 7 years to respectability is unacceptable. We should see immediate progress in 2013. I'll give you GA, but no one else on the schedule is close to LSU and KSU, both of whom we played respectably against. Also don't tell me that Bowling Green or Ohio could stay on the same field as U of H. MUCH easier schedule in 2013 but must show some tenacity on defense and consistency on offense. Turn Canales loose and don't play cloud of dust, not to lose football. Run some "exotics", go on 4th and one, get taller and faster DBs, have some hitters on defense, and some consistent blockers on the O Line. In other words Coach Mac don't just talk a good game translate it to your players and coaches. The talent gap is smaller in 2013--results on the field need to reflect that and can with this schedule.
  • Upvote 1

I think McCarney will see a tunraround next year, similar to what Fry had at North Texas back in the 70s. Fry, if you will remember, followed a 5 win season with a 2 win and 2 tie season in year 2. After that, it worked out about as well as it can here in Denton. I suspect that if Berglund can be the QB that so many thought he could be coming out of HS, then our move to CUSA will go smoother than we think right now. If he can't perform, or if DT beats him out, then I don't think we will get anywhere close to .500, in conference or overall.

Its my belief that McCarney has the next two seasons ahead of him, no matter what. There will be no buyout of two seasons at his salary here at UNT. If we had to hire Dodge because the buyout for Dickey's last two years caused us to have to go cheap, I can't imagine that anything different would occur here next year, barring 2 or fewer wins in 2013. That said, if after 4 years, Coach McCarney ends up getting the axe, I have a fear that we will go right back to following the typical UNT script by hiring some coordinator who won't cost much, but has never been a proven head coach. See the mens hoops program right now and it doesn't take too long much imagination to see us going back to cheap, unproven-at-the-college-level-hires like Dodge, Dickey, Simon, and Parker (for that matter Corky fit that description,too, but he did ok here, which is what you typically see from coordinator-type hires: that they work out well about 20% of the time, yet everything thinks they are hiring the next Bob Stoops...). I want Coach Mac to be here until he wants to retire, since that SHOULD mean that he has turned it around here, but if he doesn't do that and he gets fired here, please tell me that we will go hire a head coach from a college, even if its a successful FCS coach. Get someone in here that knows how to win as a head coach--like the Sam Houston coach or the coach at ULL. Take advantage of being in CUSA, don't act like we are still in the SLC or the SBC...

• Upvote 1

Did anyone mention that Dunbar, Akpunku and the JC defensive backs and linebackers might be worth one win?

Also, we had one less home game and one less home win.

Finally, the loss of our two best playmakers...Chancellor for four games; Jimmerson for two probably cost us a win.

I consider both seasons as comparable. No real backward movement but no gain either.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 4

You're an ass clown. I am so tired of hearing how UNT fans set the bar low. People like you want to fire a coach after 2 years just so you can peacock around like you set the bar higher than everyone else. BS. Some people just have an ounce of intelligence, which is 1 more ounce than you.

Nice insults. They really sting. I cried myself to sleep last night.

I didn't say McCarney should be fired. I said waiting four years after Dodge just for a "shot" to win conference games is sad. McCarney has the stadium we always said UNT needed to succeed. He's about to get a better conference to attract recruits. He should be able to do more with the program than to be slightly better than the utterly pathetic Dodge era.

I think McCarney deserves one more season. But no more than that if we're still this mediocre.

Should we expect more wins than 5 or 4 a season, absolutely. Should we expect it immediately after about 8 years of bad, bad losing? Only if you have no idea what is going on. If we are still under .500 and no clear road to get past that after 4 years, then you make a change and move on.

We're two years past "immediately." I think it was fair to expect a winning conference season from McCarney's team in the Sun Belt this year.

Nice insults. They really sting. I cried myself to sleep last night.

I didn't say McCarney should be fired. I said waiting four years after Dodge just for a "shot" to win conference games is sad. McCarney has the stadium we always said UNT needed to succeed. He's about to get a better conference to attract recruits. He should be able to do more with the program than to be slightly better than the utterly pathetic Dodge era.

I think McCarney deserves one more season. But no more than that if we're still this mediocre.

We're two years past "immediately." I think it was fair to expect a winning conference season from McCarney's team in the Sun Belt this year.

Just to note...if you are limiting him to one more season, then relying on the better conference attracts better recruits factor indicates that he would have incoming freshmen that start playing immediately next year. Otherwise, CUSA recruiting doesn't factor into the results. So, if he is playing these freshmen, that either says we've got some poor talent (maybe explains 4 win season) or he's a great recruiter that brought in some awesome freshmen.

Just to note...if you are limiting him to one more season, then relying on the better conference attracts better recruits factor indicates that he would have incoming freshmen that start playing immediately next year. Otherwise, CUSA recruiting doesn't factor into the results. So, if he is playing these freshmen, that either says we've got some poor talent (maybe explains 4 win season) or he's a great recruiter that brought in some awesome freshmen.

Point taken, but we were invited in May. He could attract some juco transfers because of the CUSA move who could play next season, and it's possible that a few freshmen committed to UNT before this season because of it.

• Downvote 1

BINGO!!!

Let's see, if we are to buy the "Well, the Sun Belt is just better across the board so it's ok" BS then we have to ignore the following.

1)The Sun Belt has the same recruiting hurdles that we do as far as conference prestige.

2)Many of the Sun Belt teams improved with lesser budgets.

3)Several Sun Belt teams built a better talent base than us...with TEXAS talent!

4)NONE of the Sun Belt teams had a brand new stadium either on the horizon or already built to recruit to in the last three seasons...but they still spanked us on the recruiting trail.

5)EVERY team that isnt new to CUSA like us will recruit against us without fhe aforementioned hurdles.

So, in short, the Belt improved while we stagnated and are headed to a league that is ahead of the game. How does this not scare the crap out of even the most naive and stubborn apologist?!!

Sorry Emmitt but point 4 is flat out wrong--FAU brought on a new stadium very comparable to ours a few months later. It helped them about as much as Apogee did for us.