Overlander.

MeanGreenMusic

I cannot believe the level of basketball IQ in this forum. Saying a kid should transfer, quit, lose his scholarship for being in a shooting slump?! Idiots. Jordan williams is 8-20 from 3 this this year and 18-48 from the field. I wouldnt call that shooting a high percentage. Even you basketball "experts" can figure that out. Our All-American isnt even averaging a double double this year, that would be deemed under achieving as well in my mind. But instead, you pick on a freshman who hasnt even played 5 college games yet, who is playing big minutes and taking shots that the team needs him to take and he will eventually make. The kid is in a slump, Brandon had a similar slump last year and nobody on this team is shooting well from deep this year. So point your finger at the freshman? This isnt right. If you will watch film and see his stats from high school, AAU and this year, you geniuses should also be able to figure out that he is the opposite of a defensive liability. Just becasue he isnt flying above the rim swatting shots out of bounds like Tony, doesnt make him a bad defender. Sure he isnt the athlete that maybe you all want to see, but he is one of the smartest kids on the floor and 9/10 in the right position to make a play. His form, his game and the kid himself are too good to struggle much longer and I can't wait to see you all jump on the bandwagon once it starts rolling. Do your homework before you post, u idiots.

Welcome to the board.

Now that you're here, learn how to read.

Nobody has called for Clarke to transfer. Pretty much to a man, we all feel that he will EVENTUALLY develop into a good, C-USA level basketball player.

But your basketball IQ is lower than Clarke's shooting percentage if you've watched the first 5 games and have come to any other conclusion than that the game is just moving too fast for him and that the best thing for his long-term development would be to be brought along slowly.

It's not Clarke's fault. Walton's injury forced Benford's hand...but it shouldn't have forced him in when the Creighton game was still in shouting range, nor should it have forced his hand to play him late in the UAH debacle. That's coaching...

But...if you're going to be a D-1 contributor you also have to take advantage of your opportunities...and Clarke hasn't...most notably his 0-6 performance in what should've been a no pressure game against Cameron.

Obviously Clarke was a good shooter in high school and AAU...that's why he has a division 1 scholarship. Now that he has that scholarship though, no one gives two flips what he did in high school...this isn't an Argyle fan-board, it's a UNT fan-board...and UNT players and coaches are open to criticism. So it may not prove the best place for an overly-sensitive individual...especially not one with such close ties to the subject of criticism, don't ya think?

• Upvote 7

I don't know why you guys are picking on this dude. I mean,sure, he forgot to say lunchpail but aside from that the checklist is complete. Let's see we've got...

"Not the athlete you all want to see"

"One of the smartest kids on the floor"

" 9/10 in the right position to make a play."

P.S. I'm really looking forward to putting him in when it's over.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3

Bravo CBL.

It's clearly mental right now. The Cameron game, I felt like every time he put up a shot we would all breath in anticipation to go nuts for it to go down, only to have it clank off the rim. His body language showed he was frustrated, he was getting good-looks, but something is off in rhythm, timiming, stroke, etc.

Good news for Overlander, I think he has heart. Leading a team to a championship at any level demonstrates that. I think the best thing for him will be the 8-day break after today. Get away from the gym for a couple of days, then put in some serious work to find his shot again before the UTA game.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the board.

Now that you're here, learn how to read.

Nobody has called for Clarke to transfer. Pretty much to a man, we all feel that he will EVENTUALLY develop into a good, C-USA level basketball player.

But your basketball IQ is lower than Clarke's shooting percentage if you've watched the first 5 games and have come to any other conclusion than that the game is just moving too fast for him and that the best thing for his long-term development would be to be brought along slowly.

It's not Clarke's fault. Walton's injury forced Benford's hand...but it shouldn't have forced him in when the Creighton game was still in shouting range, nor should it have forced his hand to play him late in the UAH debacle. That's coaching...

But...if you're going to be a D-1 contributor you also have to take advantage of your opportunities...and Clarke hasn't...most notably his 0-6 performance in what should've been a no pressure game against Cameron.

Obviously Clarke was a good shooter in high school and AAU...that's why he has a division 1 scholarship. Now that he has that scholarship though, no one gives two flips what he did in high school...this isn't an Argyle fan-board, it's a UNT fan-board...and UNT players and coaches are open to criticism. So it may not prove the best place for an overly-sensitive individual...especially not one with such close ties to the subject of criticism, don't ya think?

It is obvious that he is in an awful shooting slump, but how do you determine that the game is moving too fast for him. I certainly can't come to that conclusion based on the times I have seen him play. Maybe you have went to the away games and have a better view at this point, but based on what I have seen sans the last game, you could say that most of the team has played poor defense. Based on my admittedly small sample of home appearances, Overlander actually moves better than I anticipated. In the Cameron game you cited, his shoots were on target but just were not falling and I didn't notice any big defensive deficities.

I can't even fault Benford for playing him, when else but these early games can he evaluate players in a game atmosphere. He certainly didn't significantly bring down the level of play in either of the first two games and Cameron was a glorified exhibition.

As I assumed in an earlier post and the last game tended to verify it, unless it is a blow out or NT runs out of players, Overlander is not going to get a lot of playing time till he starts making his shoots. As you stated he could develop into a good player and IMO it could be this year. A very rocky start, but some of the posts, not yours, are outrageous. The only issue I have with the above, is I wonder how you can be confident that the game is too fast for him unless you have seen a lot more than I have.

• Upvote 2

It is obvious that he is in an awful shooting slump, but how do you determine that the game is moving too fast for him. I certainly can't come to that conclusion based on the times I have seen him play. Maybe you have went to the away games and have a better view at this point, but based on what I have seen sans the last game, you could say that most of the team has played poor defense. Based on my admittedly small sample of home appearances, Overlander actually moves better than I anticipated. In the Cameron game you cited, his shoots were on target but just were not falling and I didn't notice any big defensive deficities.

I can't even fault Benford for playing him, when else but these early games can he evaluate players in a game atmosphere. He certainly didn't significantly bring down the level of play in either of the first two games and Cameron was a glorified exhibition.

As I assumed in an earlier post and the last game tended to verify it, unless it is a blow out or NT runs out of players, Overlander is not going to get a lot of playing time till he starts making his shoots. As you stated he could develop into a good player and IMO it could be this year. A very rocky start, but some of the posts, not yours, are outrageous. The only issue I have with the above, is I wonder how you can be confident that the game is too fast for him unless you have seen a lot more than I have.

A shooter needs two things to get his shot off...time and space...and a third thing to get it to drop consistently...confidence. Give a shooter time and space and he'll give you a confident stroke.

A shooter's concept of what time and space means to him changes as he develops and progresses, however...in high school perhaps give Clarke an open second and a foot of space and he'll give you a confident stroke. The college game won't give him that much time and space though...say its a half-second and six inches of space at the next level...can Clarke still hit shots with that much time and space? Sure...but right now he's not confident that he can.

1 for 17 isn't a a bad-luck slump...it's a lack of confidence and that, IMO, stems from his being a bit overwhelmed by the speed of the game happening around him.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

A shooter needs two things to get his shot off...time and space...and a third thing to get it to drop consistently...confidence. Give a shooter time and space and he'll give you a confident stroke.

A shooter's concept of what time and space means to him changes as he develops and progresses, however...in high school perhaps give Clarke an open second and a foot of space and he'll give you a confident stroke. The college game won't give him that much time and space though...say its a half-second and six inches of space at the next level...can Clarke still hit shots with that much time and space? Sure...but right now he's not confident that he can.

1 for 17 isn't a a bad-luck slump...it's a lack of confidence and that, IMO, stems from his being a bit overwhelmed by the speed of the game happening around him.

Great post and dead on. Confidence is EVERYTHING in basketball. Right now, Clarke doesn't have it. Patience. It will come.

I partially disagree. I think he is just too tight and forcing it. Most of his three point attempts against Lamar were WIDE open. I kind of wonder if he might not have been better served by shooting when his man was closer, so he must catch and shoot in rhythm. He might have had too much time and space to let him have too much happening in his head.

Appreciate your reply, but I haven't seen that. He is not rushing his shoots and on many he is wide open. I have not seem any form issues, the ball is just not falling. It is a confidence problem and the more someone presses the worse it gets.