Honest question

emmitt01

If this is true then we are going to waste a lot of time and effort for nothing. No one that is a non auto-BCS program will ever have a chance to advance by playing smash mouth football. You never see Boise do it, or saw TCU do it. Ohio isn't doing it, neither is WKY or ULM.

And I'm sick of the "With what he had to work with" excuse. We got our heads handed to us today by poor coaching, plain and simple.

Middle got beat by McNeese at the start of the year. And went into this game without one of their stars. But instead of worrying about what they didnt have they put a game plan together that was better than ours, motivated their team better than ours and kicked the shit out of us.

Rick

I don't necessarily disagree with you, just pointing out what is actually going on.

I haven't seen one brilliantly coached game yet. We are predictable and easy to defense. But, when your head coach doesn't trust his offense or quarterback, this is what you get.

• Upvote 1

But, when your head coach doesn't trust his offense or quarterback, this is what you get.

Well, again, if this is in fact true, and you may be correct, then we are in worse shape than we thought.

Why? Because how can you explain how it is that you have now invested a year and a half with a guy you don't trust AFTER you brought two of your own guys in that can't even get on the field in front of the guy you DON'T TRUST?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Look, we do this after every loss. In sort-of chronological order

1) Someone brings Mac's coaching ability into question

2) somebody questions if this is really Chico's offense

3) ....bring up Mac's Iowa State record

4) ....random Iowa State lurker posts in DMac's defense, "But we LOVE that guy

5) ...Silver might say something about how he's a salesman

6)...quality of recruits is discussed

7)....who's our future QB?

8)....anyone else like pie?

9)...I'm going to the bar. see you all next week.

Perhaps it is because the loses are unnecessary...crappy play calling and coaching seems to be the biggest issue....maybe if we used the 4th qtr game plan in the 1qtr, we could win...so many stupid things this staff is doing....yea, that simple. !!

I dont intend to be negative and I'm surely not call ing for his head but I have a question about McCarney.

Many on here have said things like "I love what he's doing talking to incoming freshmen" and "He's so inspirational when he speaks about North Texas". I've even heard "The team really believes in him and has responded well".

Has anyone ever muttered the words "Wow, that was a brilliant job of coaching" or "Man, he really adjusted on the fly to the personell challenges he was given"? Or even "I totally did mot see that game plan coming...and neither did our opponent".

Just a question.

Dan always talking about the "others"...stoops, Alverez, snider, etc....but they are all successful...Dan ???? really.!!

Mac's Record at Iowa State

: 53-77

Iowa State

2–9

1–7 1997 Iowa State 1–10 1–7 1998 Iowa State 3–8 1–7 1999 Iowa State 4–7 1–7 2000 Iowa State 9–3 5–3 2001 Iowa State 7–5 4–4 2002 Iowa State 7–7 4–4 2003 Iowa State 2–10 0–8 2004 Iowa State 7–5 4–4 .. 2005 Iowa State 7–5 4–4 2006 Iowa State 4–8 1–7

While his record doesn't look good, you have to understand that he started at the bottom and was playing in one of the toughest conferences in the country. His out-of-conference record over his stay there was 27-15.

There are many things that McCarney has done that make me hopeful. His teams tackle well, give an outstanding effort and don't quit. He has built a pretty good defense from scratch. He has one of the best offensive lines outside the Big Six. But he needs better talent at quarterback and receivers especially and has done little to improve it. On the surface it looks as if he's had two less than mediocre recruiting classes except for transfers. He seems to caught in a Catch 22...he can't get the improvement without the talent and he can't get the talent without the improvement.

Again, every team has player personnel turnover EVERY YEAR!!!!

We bullshitted our way through the lame ass Simon left us with nothing excuses, the Dickey left us with nothing excuses, and now we're doing it with Dodge. All the while, we have watched programs like FIU, WKY, Ark State, ULM and ULL through the years have success with their leftovers.

ONLY AT NORTH TEXAS???

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Most here predicted 5-7. Don't be naive people, we all know what happens to a program with damn near a decade of futility. How much has the personnel changed in 1 season? Losing sucks, but we have to give him one more year before we start questioning the coach's ability. We can't deny we're seeing the changes, it's just going to take time for this team to surpass .500. Yes, it's that bad right now. Just look at what NT has at QB & WR. There's a lack of talent, speed, & playmakers across the board...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3

Again, every team has player personnel turnover EVERY YEAR!!!!

We bullshitted our way through the lame ass Simon left us with nothing excuses, the Dickey left us with nothing excuses, and now we're doing it with Dodge. All the while, we have watched programs like FIU, WKY, Ark State, ULM and ULL through the years have success with their leftovers.

ONLY AT NORTH TEXAS???

Rick

We are in a bottom feeder conference. What more do you expect? Why do you think the Sun Belt is such a toss up every year? You honestly don't know what your going to get from year to year with these types of players. Did anybody really expect ULM or WKY to be good this year? Probably not.

If you notice that most of the better teams in this conference have "decent" quarterbacks. Unfortunately, that's where it start and ends. And unfortunately we are not to strong in this area. Quit acting like it's all about our coaching and hold the players accountable. Bench them if they aren't producing....period!

We will see how the team is next season after more recruiting. This season is done. Let the man recruit his own guys. The Dodge hangover is still lingering. I'll be tuning out for the first time ever. Can't watch these guys lose like this. If they had heart it would be one thing but they clearly lack in that department. This team is pathetic.

Classless as well because personal fouls to hide your lack of play is just classless. I am ashamed of this team.

Wow, we sure jump ship quickly. I wished turning a program around was quick, but many times

it is painful. Lets look at the progress. We couldnt sniff 5 wins under Dodge. We won 5 last year. This year we are

headed in the direction this year as well. Next year I believe you will see more tangible results. Hold on folks and remember

the victories. They may be small victories along the way. The needle is pointed upward.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Look, we do this after every loss. In sort-of chronological order

1) Someone brings Mac's coaching ability into question

2) somebody questions if this is really Chico's offense

3) ....bring up Mac's Iowa State record

4) ....random Iowa State lurker posts in DMac's defense, "But we LOVE that guy

5) ...Silver might say something about how he's a salesman

6)...quality of recruits is discussed

7)....who's our future QB?

8)....anyone else like pie?

9)...I'm going to the bar. see you all next week.

Actually he's more of a motivational speaker. He's very much like Jim Wacker....but with cussing.....and drinking.

NOW, the man that he worked for up at U of Iowa......THAT was a salesman.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

People so easily forget about the receivers that are redshirting, the transfer qb and qb recruit(i'm more excited about the dajon Williams ) , and the many other players redshirting. This a young team that improves week to week most of the time in my opinion. I did not see a winning record coming into the season. I have been pleasantly surprised by the running backs and oline.

• Upvote 1

Most here predicted 5-7. Don't be naive people, we all know what happens to a program with damn near a decade of futility. How much has the personnel changed in 1 season? Losing sucks, but we have to give him one more year before we start questioning the coach's ability. We can't deny we're seeing the changes, it's just going to take time for this team to surpass .500. Yes, it's that bad right now. Just look at what NT has at QB & WR. There's a lack of talent, speed, & playmakers across the board...

Good post!

Let me ask this as a follow up question. The best coaches, in my observations, tailor their play calling to the players they have...not set out with an agenda and try to fit the players into that system. Why don't we? And don't give me "lack of WR talent". These aren't SEC cornerbacks we're facing. Nor do I want to hear about how DT can't throw the ball accurately downfield. Spread the defense out and throw WR screens or slants all day if you have to. You're putting multiple TE's out there...throw them the ball. Just stop running into a stacked box and hoping Jimmy Jam can squirt loose from time to time.

If, as UNT90 suggests, Mac is truly bound and determined to play "smash mouth" football we are in real trouble. First off, it puts your defense in the position of having to surrender very few points because your offense can't play from behind...no quick strike ability. And, more importantly, if you're gonna run this boring ass offense because you don't have a QB...you'll never recruit QB's!!! What kid wants to throw for 5,000 yards in his senior season and then come to NT to run Dickey Ball Part Deux?!

• Upvote 2

Let me ask this as a follow up question. The best coaches, in my observations, tailor their play calling to the players they have...not set out with an agenda and try to fit the players into that system. Why don't we? And don't give me "lack of WR talent". These aren't SEC cornerbacks we're facing. Nor do I want to hear about how DT can't throw the ball accurately downfield. Spread the defense out and throw WR screens or slants all day if you have to. You're putting multiple TE's out there...throw them the ball. Just stop running into a stacked box and hoping Jimmy Jam can squirt loose from time to time.

If, as UNT90 suggests, Mac is truly bound and determined to play "smash mouth" football we are in real trouble. First off, it puts your defense in the position of having to surrender very few points because your offense can't play from behind...no quick strike ability. And, more importantly, if you're gonna run this boring ass offense because you don't have a QB...you'll never recruit QB's!!! What kid wants to throw for 5,000 yards in his senior season and then come to NT to run Dickey Ball Part Deux?!

I guess I don't have the energy to go look it up, but is this offense we are seeing a year and half in, similar to what he did at Iowa State?

Wow, we sure jump ship quickly. I wished turning a program around was quick, but many times

it is painful. Lets look at the progress. We couldnt sniff 5 wins under Dodge. We won 5 last year. This year we are

headed in the direction this year as well. Next year I believe you will see more tangible results. Hold on folks and remember

the victories. They may be small victories along the way. The needle is pointed upward.

GMG

Outside of South Alabama, there's not a sure win left on our schedule. Right now, we look like a 4-8 team which would be a step back. I don't see this team beating either ULL or WKU on the road. A win next week against Arkansas State though would be huge. The days of coaches getting 4 and 5 years to turn programs around are gone. Coaches more or less get 3 years now to show they havea program headed in the right direction. Going into Conference USA next year, I'd say McCarney needs 5 or 6 wins to guarantee him continuing as head coach. Anything less than that next year and I think you make a change.

• Upvote 1

We are in a bottom feeder conference. What more do you expect? Why do you think the Sun Belt is such a toss up every year? You honestly don't know what your going to get from year to year with these types of players. Did anybody really expect ULM or WKY to be good this year? Probably not.

If you notice that most of the better teams in this conference have "decent" quarterbacks. Unfortunately, that's where it start and ends. And unfortunately we are not to strong in this area. Quit acting like it's all about our coaching and hold the players accountable. Bench them if they aren't producing....period!

Where do I expect us to be? I expect us to be at least as good as ULM, one of the poorest funded programs in the nation with a total overall athletic budget of $8.272 Million, and who's got about 8 kids from Texas starting for them, including 4 of their 5 O linemen.

Kent State, with second year coach Darrell Hazell, are now 7-1 and beat #15th ranked Rutgers today. Hazell took over Doug Martin's s 5-7 bucket of scrubs last year and is 4-0 in conference so far.

Of course it's about coaching. It always has been and always will be.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Where do I expect us to be? I expect us to be at least as good as ULM, one of the poorest funded programs in the nation with a total overall athletic budget of $8.272 Million, and who's got about 8 kids from Texas starting for them, including 4 of their 5 O linemen.

Kent State, with second year coach Darrell Hazell, are now 7-1 and beat #15th ranked Rutgers today. Hazell took over Doug Martin's s 5-7 bucket of scrubs last year and is 4-0 in conference so far.

Rick

WOW..on the money...every year, same excuse...the Todd Dodge excuse..we only won 5 games in the TD coaching experience and we wone 5 games last year...we are making progress...well how is a 59-7 win last year to a big loss this year progress...I'll tell you...Unt jacked around with the piss poor conservative coaching of Dan mac until it was over and everything was too late...this year is OVER. We say the same thing with Troy...it was obvious in the 1st qtr,,,, like it was in the Houston game...easy to see in the 1st qtr...total lack of recognition and urgency...game over......here is my prediction....Dan Mac is not the guy...it will be recognized when it is too late...as is usual for UNT...and we will try to find someone else to lead us. could this change..of course..but not likely. This pattern of coaching has not changed and I suspect it will not....when us fans in TV land see this over and over...why can't they see it....the leash for DAn mac and team should be short...really short..and they should know it....they are being humiliated...this is not what we want and this is not progress.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Rick

Bingo. I hated that Mac come in here, said we were too small, too slow, and the turnaround wasn't going to happen overnight. He should have come in here, balled up, and said we are gonna go out there and try to win now. Lafayette isn't on the five year plan...Hudspeth won in his first year. The same thing for Hugh Freeze at Arkansas State. This has to be one of the only programs in the country where the fan base automatically grants the coach five years to be successful. These are games we should be winning (or at least not getting our butts handed to us) right now. It is irrelevant how bad the team was two years ago, or what was left over. That does not seem to be a problem for most other teams.

Coaching was great in the KSU game as we hung tough. Defensive changes were great last week after the opening drive by ULL. Offense is handcuffed by DT and our two best receivers being out. I'm really shocked at how our defense has played today. I'm not sure what is happening.

We have the best coaching staff this team has had since at least the 70's. They need some time. There's no guarentee that they will turn this thing completely around but these coaches are the best hope we've got.

I attended the KSU game. This is not even remotely the same team that played KSU. OLine was blowing KSU three yards off the line of scrimmage. Now virtually no run blocking. Not a quitter but this season is over--give everyone on the roster that might remotely help next year a shot at this point. D'ont tell me about BB starting. I am a FB fan first and this has been an extremely disappointing season.

I think DMac is bound and determined to play smash mouth football because he thinks that he doesn't have the talent to play anything else. Again, this is partially his fault, as we live in a league where true freshmen can contribute immediately, We have had none do so at the skill positions on offense.

This is nothing new for DMac. In the FIU opener last year, there was not one 1st down pass until about 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter when we were down by a ton.

Is DMac the guy? I think it is still too early to tell. He is in this position because he did not get the players in his 1st 2 recruiting classes that he needed at offensive skill positions. That is completely on him. The lack of a true QB in those classes is killing this program .

Next year is the year. The 3rd year is what DMac appears to have been shooting for all along. If we see a similiar style and similiar results next year, that is the time for yelling for coaches heads to role.

I agree with what P1 said in another thread. It appears DMac has been given a long leash with this thing. That is evident by the amount of freshmen he is redshirting. The leash should be 3 years, as it is at every major college program. Just look at year 4 of the Dodge disaster if you need proof.

• Upvote 2

I think DMac is bound and determined to play smash mouth football because he thinks that he doesn't have the talent to play anything else. Again, this is partially his fault, as we live in a league where true freshmen can contribute immediately, We have had none do so at the skill positions on offense.

This is nothing new for DMac. In the FIU opener last year, there was not one 1st down pass until about 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter when we were down by a ton.

Is DMac the guy? I think it is still too early to tell. He is in this position because he did not get the players in his 1st 2 recruiting classes that he needed at offensive skill positions. That is completely on him. The lack of a true QB in those classes is killing this program .

Next year is the year. The 3rd year is what DMac appears to have been shooting for all along. If we see a similiar style and similiar results next year, that is the time for yelling for coaches heads to role.

I agree with what P1 said in another thread. It appears DMac has been given a long leash with this thing. That is evident by the amount of freshmen he is redshirting. The leash should be 3 years, as it is at every major college program. Just look at year 4 of the Dodge disaster if you need proof.

Excellent post.

• Upvote 1