Idaho To Announce 2013 Schedule Today.

MeanGreen61

They're in no position to be demanding home and homes with anybody. Interesting they're playing New Mexico St. twice. I can't think of that happening in regular season before.

You know it is the onlyy two teams that did not get out of the WAC until it was gone, so this is basically for the conference title: first game is for the regular season title, best two teams advance to the conference championship game. The winner of the second one is conference champion....

...despite making fun of this I do feel somewhat sad for those teams and how they got left out in the cold.... yet a move to FCS might just have been wiser and more realistic, particularly for Idaho.

on the bright side, as someone said before: chalk p a home win next season. If texas southern tought us something: that kind of game is great for the casual fan enthousiasm

Also looking at the schedule: I think it was easier to put it together because they are so bad this year, and everybody sees them as an opponent of FCS quality that counts hands down for bowl eligibility

Edited by outoftown

I don't completely disagree, but the final part of next year's OOC schedule was announced less than a year in advance. We need to address a single game on the 2014 schedule, 2 games on the 2015 schedule, and a game each in 2016, 2017, and 2018. I'm just saying I am comfortable that there is ample time to work something out.

You're just a worrier. Do your friends call you Whiskers?

Harry-Caray-Ferrell.jpg

We had to pay Idaho to come here and play us. 1 and 1s don't require payment, I don't think this program is to the point where it can afford 2 money games in one year, with one of those money games being an FBS school, so in 2015 we are looking at another 5 game home schedule. There is no flexibility for a 1 and 1 until at least 2016, and then you are screwing yourself with road games in 2018 and 2019 and the cycle just continues.

I see little flexibility in this schedule. Being in CUSA is nice, but that doesn't mean we settle for ANY season with 5 home games again. Scheduling has GOT to get better, but the hole is so deep now, I don't see how we ever get out.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I agree with UNT90 that our chances of avoiding a 5 game home schedule one or more years between 2014-2018 with the games that are already on the schedule, especially in 2015. But you never know how things will turn out. With the way things are in college football due to realignment, the landscape could look different in the next few years.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

I agree with UNT90 that our chances of avoiding a 5 game home schedule one or more years between 2014-2018 with the games that are already on the schedule, especially in 2015. But you never know how things will turn out. With the way things are in college football due to realignment, the landscape could look different in the next few years.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

We can always buy out of games. As long as MGC/tickets sales/club level/etc continue to increase we will have the ability to do that.

We can always buy out of games. As long as MGC/tickets sales/club level/etc continue to increase we will have the ability to do that.

I know this is a possibility, but when is the last time we actually bought out of a road game? It would give me more confidence if I knew of any other time in recent history where this has happened. I honestly dont know if this has occurred.

Anyone?

• Upvote 1

I know this is a possibility, but when is the last time we actually bought out of a road game? It would give me more confidence if I knew of any other time in recent history where this has happened. I honestly dont know if this has occurred.

Anyone?

We almost did this year, but the hosting team threw in an extra 250k and the school decided to keep the game.

Edited by Cerebus

We almost did this year, but the hosting team threw in an extra 250k and the school decided to keep the game.

Hence the loss to LSU, I am guessing.

I would have more confidence if we had done this recently, because we need to buy out of at least 2, probably 3 before 2017.

Edited by UNT90

Anyone?

It's a different type of situation, but we did buy out our money game against Miami a few years ago . . .

. . . To sacrifice ourselves for a bigger money game against LSU.

So we need to buy a game against an FCS team (or Idaho or NMSU, maybe TSSM, whoever) a year from now until at least 2017, and 2 home and home series, one starting here in 2015, the other starting here in 2018 and paying both off at the other team's place in 2019. That one in 2015 might be a little harder to find a taker for, but surely there's somebody out there. We have either SMU or Army at home every year from 2014-2019 except for 2015. That plus a C-USA schedule with an FCS thrown in sounds fantastic to me, so what exactly is the problem?

• Upvote 1

So we need to buy a game against an FCS team (or Idaho or NMSU, maybe TSSM, whoever) a year from now until at least 2017, and 2 home and home series, one starting here in 2015, the other starting here in 2018 and paying both off at the other team's place in 2019. That one in 2015 might be a little harder to find a taker for, but surely there's somebody out there. We have either SMU or Army at home every year from 2014-2019 except for 2015. That plus a C-USA schedule with an FCS thrown in sounds fantastic to me, so what exactly is the problem?

If ypu are happy with SMU and Army as your best home OOC games, nothing, I guess. Our series with Ball St. and Ohio waited over three years for a return game, so I guess you could do this with that level of competition. Not exactly the opponents I was hoping for when we opened Apogee.

Also, if you do that, you start locking up you future OOC schedule in 2018 and 2019 with away games with no returns (because you woulda played them in 2015).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If ypu are happy with SMU and Army as your best home OOC games, nothing, I guess. Our series with Ball St. and Ohio waited over three years for a return game, so I guess you could do this with that level of competition. Not exactly the opponents I was hoping for when we opened Apogee.

Also, if you do that, you start locking up you future OOC schedule in 2018 and 2019 with away games with no returns (because you woulda played them in 2015).

Winnable games. Build a consistent winner and worry about stepping the competition up later. That's what Boise did, I have no problem with that model.

• Upvote 3

What would be a ballpark figure of how much this game cost us?

I don't know.

A few years ago, a non AQ team scheduling another non AQ for a one and done probably paid 300k. However, the market has really been driving up because the big AQ schools have really driven the price up. They make a lot more than they pay out to the visiting school, so they are all in competition for those games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Winnable games. Build a consistent winner and worry about stepping the competition up later. That's what Boise did, I have no problem with that model.

Agree. A win is a win is a win.

If we get to six games and a bowl invite this year no one on this board is going to stay home just because one of the wins was Texas Southern.

• Upvote 1