Special Teams

outoftown

about 3 weeks ago I said that coach Riddle was in my mind 1 bad game away from getting fired. Now this sure was the best game by special teams we had this season. Looking at how bad it had been, this is quite a turnaround. We actually won the ST battle I think. They shanked a PAT and had a muffed Punt. Ok then they also had those punts super close to our goal line. But at least we did not give a big one up and made all our (adimittedly close) FGs, and had pretty darn good punts ourself.

This improved performance was absolutely critical in this game. Congrats to the team

Special Teams and third down performance both offensively and defensively played a pivotal role in last night's game. I truly believe from a scheme standpoint Coach Riddle is a very good Special Teams coordinator, sometimes the kids just have to step up and make plays when their number is called and they certainly answered the bell last night.

I do believe we need to have punt return auditions. How bad have we been statistically the last 2-3 seasons in Punt Returns? I want to say one of the worst in the country. We have to get someone back there who will catch the ball; even if it's a fair catch every time. I'm not even going to entertain the tantalizing thought of someone back there who can catch it and get a few positive yards...let's just catch the darn thing first!

We also need work on Kick Return blocking. Brelan didn't have any room on any of his KO returns.

We need a new almost-everything. Our punt returns average 2.0 yards; our opponents 18.75. Our kickoff returns, formerly a strong suit, are averaging 18.58 yards; our opponents 26.75 yards. We're even being outpunted although only by about a half a yard. Olen's coming back but he hasn't caught up to our opponents yet. He's made 63.6% of his field goals compared to opponent's 75%.