Pedestrian Bridge

adman

They're going to paint it, right?

Nope.

I believe the main structure is weathering steel which is a low alloy steel that "rusts" to a point and then no longer corrodes. This outer layer of rusts keeps you from having to maintain the weight bearing aspect of the structure - no painting, no sand blasting etc etc every few years - and more importantly no damage to structural steel over time.

• Upvote 2

Nope.

I believe the main structure is weathering steel which is a low alloy steel that "rusts" to a point and then no longer corrodes. This outer layer of rusts keeps you from having to maintain the weight bearing aspect of the structure - no painting, no sand blasting etc etc every few years - and more importantly no damage to structural steel over time.

Innnnnterrreeesssssting.

Nope.

So it will match the top of the Super Pit?

• Upvote 2

Nope.

Then why does the image from the article written yesterday show the top part being all nice and chrome and silver?

Weird.

Nope.

Let me guess. You stayed at a holiday inn last night?

• Upvote 2

Then why does the image from the article written yesterday show the top part being all nice and chrome and silver?

Weird.

The top winged roof looks to be galvanized steel - like a chain link fence. Galvanized steel is steel that has been alloyed with zinc. Galvanizing the steel is done to keep the steel from rusting. So the top part, much like the railing leading up to bridge will stay that grayish/silver color.

I can't speak to why the structural support wasn't also made from galvanized steel. May have been cheaper not to use it, may have not offered the same structural integrity or perhaps they simply wanted the contrasting aspects of the two steels.

(I know I've seen several pedestrian bridges that were all cement and galvanized steel and they turn out to look more like a kennel or cage than they do anything that is aesthetically pleasing.)

I'm sure many would like the bridge to be green and white but considering it was a TxDot project there wasnt much chance of that - due to cost of upkeep etc. Personally, I think the contrasting elements of the two steels used are quite fetching and make for a good looking bridge.

Edited by adman

The top winged roof looks to be galvanized steel - like a chain link fence. Galvanized steel is steel that has been alloyed with zinc. Galvanizing the steel is done to keep the steel from rusting. So the top part, much like the railing leading up to bridge will stay that grayish/silver color.

I can't speak to why the structural support wasn't also made from galvanized steel. May have been cheaper not to use it, may have not offered the same structural integrity or perhaps they simply wanted the contrasting aspects of the two steels.

(I know I've seen several pedestrian bridges that were all cement and galvanized steel and they turn out to look more like a kennel or cage than they do anything that is aesthetically pleasing.)

I'm sure many would like the bridge to be green and white but considering it was a TxDot project there wasnt much chance of that - due to cost of upkeep etc. Personally, I think the contrasting elements of the two steels used are quite fetching and make for a good looking bridge.

Bridges and metallurgy... I know another GMGer who could be your best friend if not for distance.