UNT picks up LB commit Fred Scott

Harry

Kennedale linebacker Fred Scott has committed to UNT.

I just got off the phone with Kennedale head coach Richard Barrett, who confirmed the story.

Scott is about 6-0, 225, and could play inside or outside on the college level. It sounds like UNT recruited him as an outside linebacker.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/09/unt-picks-up-lb-commit.html/

Or, play defensive tackle? :thumbsu:

At what point are we allowed to point out that we aren't getting "highly rated" players? This was a point people made about the majority Dickey and Dodge's recruits.

Does it seem like things have changed all that much so far?

Don't misconstrue this as a knock on the recruit. My point is just this - because the level of recruit is about the same as we were getting under Dickey and Dodge, we'll see with McCarney whether or not coaching matters down here in the lower FBS programs that are trying to grow up.

McCarney will sign his third class in February, and we will move into a new conference on July 1, 2013. We need bigger, better, faster, stronger...except against Memphis and UAB...and Tulane.

• Upvote 3

Or, play defensive tackle? :thumbsu:

At what point are we allowed to point out that we aren't getting "highly rated" players? This was a point people made about the majority Dickey and Dodge's recruits.

Does it seem like things have changed all that much so far?

Don't misconstrue this as a knock on the recruit. My point is just this - because the level of recruit is about the same as we were getting under Dickey and Dodge, we'll see with McCarney whether or not coaching matters down here in the lower FBS programs that are trying to grow up.

McCarney will sign his third class in February, and we will move into a new conference on July 1, 2013. We need bigger, better, faster, stronger...except against Memphis and UAB...and Tulane.

Sadly, we will not be able to exploit the Tigers on the gridiron since they are moving to the Big East.

• Upvote 1

Spoke with a good friend who is a parent of an Argyle player, and they played Kennedale last Friday night. He spoke very highly of Scott stating that "he definitely looks the part", "plays fast", "makes plays all over the field".

The week previously they played Paris and I did not hear as positive of comments about Sed Ellis other than they have him playing at Defensive End where he is out of position.

It sounds like Scott is a nice get for NT.

Please look at the 40 times from the combine last season for LB's. most are 4.6-4.8 for top level talent who has been training all off season for this one particular 40 yd dash. If the best of the best are barely breaking 4.9 and this kid runs a 4.9 forty in the beginning of his senior year in high school then big whoop. 40 times don't mean jack unless there timed properly. At this point just look at the video and judge if the kid can play or not.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker

• Upvote 1

Looks like a "good get" to me! I'm partial to kids who make plays no matter what their "standard" stats say.....UNT is in need of play makers....not stats. How the kid plays on "game day" is what interests me. I'll leave it to the coaching staff to decide who and who doesn't fit that bill.

Now...where's the next Cody Spencer???? Zach Orr?????? This kid? Could be...time will tell.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like a "good get" to me! I'm partial to kids who make plays no matter what their "standard" stats say.....UNT is in need of play makers....not stats. How the kid plays on "game day" is what interests me. I'll leave it to the coaching staff to decide who and who doesn't fit that bill.

Now...where's the next Cody Spencer???? Zach Orr?????? This kid? Could be...time will tell.

Zach Orr was pretty highly rated out of high school he just got overlooked by some major schools because of height, not speed, mass, or strength. I know what you're getting at but I wouldn't use Orr as an example in this particular argument.