C-USA Takes over Dallas Bowl

MeanGreen61

Late Monday TicketCity sent word: It’s no longer the title sponsor of the New Year’s bowl game played for the last two years at the Cotton Bowl in Fair Park. The reason, per the release: The New Year’s game has a new owner, and the new owner has other plans. Or, as TicketCity CEO Randy Cohen put it, “We would have loved to continue as the title sponsor, but the new ownership group is going in a different direction without a corporate sponsor.”

That’s not exactly true, The News has learned.

Daniel Huerta, Fair Park’s executive general manager, confirms there is a new ownership group replacing Tom Starr’s Dallas Football Classic, which brought TicketCity on board two years ago. But Huerta won’t say who the new group is, only that it’s “a new nonprofit” based in Dallas. Says Huerta this morning, “We’ve been meeting with them for the last several months, and we’re confident the bowl game will be a success. They don’t have TicketCity as a sponsor, but they do have a pretty good sponsor.”

He says an official announcement will be made October 4 at noon on the steps of the Cotton Bowl, at which time all our questions will be answered. But The News has learned the name of the new umbrella organization, Heart of Dallas, and the name of at least one of those involved, Britton Banowsky — who happens to be the longtime commissioner of Conference USA and whose office confirms his involvement, along with “a number of people here locally” who will also sit on the board.

Read more: http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/next-month-the-city-will-announce-new-owner-title-sponsor-for-new-years-game-at-cotton-bowl-but-heres-a-hint.html/

• Upvote 4

Hmm.. a potential CUSA UNT DFW bowl game..

Not sure how I feel about that. Would be awesome to see us in a bowl and I can see the potential of a large green turnout, but it would be a massive letdown as far as the kids and alumni are concerned never leaving DFW..

THIS! I'd love to play $mut every year at the Cotton Bowl during an open date during the fair. But to be "rewarded" with a bowl game in Dallas? Meh.

Although we could hire strippers to party with us at my apartment. But we really don't need an excuse for that.

• Downvote 2

Not sure how I feel about that. Would be awesome to see us in a bowl and I can see the potential of a large green turnout, but it would be a massive letdown as far as the kids and alumni are concerned never leaving DFW..

Baloney!

A bowl is a bowl homie! I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind having a quasi-home game as a bowl.

Plus, most Dallas-area kids would love to play in the Cotton Bowl, since unlike other stadiums around, I don't think they rent it out for UIL Playoffs.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4

I'm sure LSU really hates playing in the Sugar Bowl because it's so close. Same with USC in the Rose. And forget when UCLA makes it to the RB and hosts the damn thing. They must curse the fact that they stay home.

A Bc$ Bowl compared to an obscure bowl in it's infancy, and two cities that are vastly better tourists sports than Dallas.

Red apples to green apples.

Don't get me wrong. A bowl is a bowl, but I'd much rather get the chance to do a little sightseeing, or experience Out-of-Town-Brian while watching a bowl game.

Edited by Rudy

Completely disagree.

My order of preference (until Mac has us ranked high enough to go to the playoff bowls):

1)New Orleans as the CUSA participant.

2)Dallas bowl in the cotton bowl. Ive gone to the ticket city bowl the last two years, there are pricing options for everyone. Those with a bit more budget will buy from NT's allotment and sit down low and between the 30's. Then there will be 15,000 seats available on stubhub, Ticket City, eBay, etc that range in price from $10 and up. For.a poor student this would be a dream.

3)Any other CUSA bowl tie in

• Upvote 1

2)Dallas bowl in the cotton bowl. Ive gone to the ticket city bowl the last two years, there are pricing options for everyone. Those with a bit more budget will buy from NT's allotment and sit down low and between the 30's. Then there will be 15,000 seats available on stubhub, Ticket City, eBay, etc that range in price from $10 and up. For.a poor student this would be a dream.

And if they leave open gates unattended again, then EVERYONE can afford to attend. :whistling1: LOL

• Upvote 1

I'd be completely on board with this. Hope we can land in a bowl spot soon! It starts with DFW exposure in my opinion.

Late Monday TicketCity sent word: It's no longer the title sponsor of the New Year's bowl game played for the last two years at the Cotton Bowl in Fair Park. The reason, per the release: The New Year's game has a new owner, and the new owner has other plans. Or, as TicketCity CEO Randy Cohen put it, "We would have loved to continue as the title sponsor, but the new ownership group is going in a different direction without a corporate sponsor."

That's not exactly true, The News has learned.

Daniel Huerta, Fair Park's executive general manager, confirms there is a new ownership group replacing Tom Starr's Dallas Football Classic, which brought TicketCity on board two years ago. But Huerta won't say who the new group is, only that it's "a new nonprofit" based in Dallas. Says Huerta this morning, "We've been meeting with them for the last several months, and we're confident the bowl game will be a success. They don't have TicketCity as a sponsor, but they do have a pretty good sponsor."

He says an official announcement will be made October 4 at noon on the steps of the Cotton Bowl, at which time all our questions will be answered. But The News has learned the name of the new umbrella organization, Heart of Dallas, and the name of at least one of those involved, Britton Banowsky — who happens to be the longtime commissioner of Conference USA and whose office confirms his involvement, along with "a number of people here locally" who will also sit on the board.

Read more: http://cityhallblog....es-a-hint.html/

• Upvote 1