North Texas Chant

Rudy

Myself and a few others have tried to get this organized in the past, but with Apogee, we really need to utilize the acoustics. It does nothing for the student side to do the chant themselves. Get the whole stadium involoved. Any ideas? Maybe we can do it after every score, and/or have some sort of visual clue on the video board?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mavs do it

1. You think that sounds good?

2. A simple, predetermined time to chat would work. After every score, once the band finishes, Yell an extened "Gooooooo" to alert everyone to the chant, then the student side yells "North", followed by "Texas" on the alumni side.

That's it.

• Upvote 1

Myself and a few others have tried to get this organized in the past, but with Apogee, we really need to utilize the acoustics. It does nothing for the student side to do the chant themselves. Get the whole stadium involoved. Any ideas? Maybe we can do it after every score, and/or have some sort of visual clue on the video board?

The problem is that the Alumni side takes a LONG time to get wound up enough to participate in the NORTH/TEXAS chants. The Students will yell "NORTH!", and then you'll hear nothing or mumbling from the alumni side for the first 4-5 times. Then once enough people start figuring out it's going on, we get about 3 good volleys before it's over and play resumes. At least, that's how it seems from where I'm sitting.

• Upvote 1

I think it works, but as FFRick and others have said ad-nauseum(with good reason), it needs a freaking ending. It just trails off. Sounds so silly at the end.

I love it - just find a way to end it. We are all college grads... Is this really that challenging? Who is the maestro of game day events?

That was a rhetorical question by the way.

• Upvote 1

The problem is that the Alumni side takes a LONG time to get wound up enough to participate in the NORTH/TEXAS chants. The Students will yell "NORTH!", and then you'll hear nothing or mumbling from the alumni side for the first 4-5 times. Then once enough people start figuring out it's going on, we get about 3 good volleys before it's over and play resumes. At least, that's how it seems from where I'm sitting.

Which is why you would use the extended "gooo" to alert the entire stadium

Cheerleaders?

Watching on-line you could clearly hear the chant (sounded pretty loud) and the camera showed the cheerleaders holding up the appropriate signs for the crowd.

Never saw any signs by the cheerleaders.

I love it - just find a way to end it. We are all college grads... Is this really that challenging?

I submit 3X followed by "Fight!" in unisome. So:

"NORTH!" "TEXAS!"

"NORTH!" "TEXAS!"

"NORTH!" "TEXAS!"

"F I G H T ! !"

Defensive third downs are taken, so maybe Offensive third downs?

Edited by UNT Five&Dime
  • Upvote 2

Here's my idea. Do it after each point is scored. After each touchdown do the chant six times; after each field goal three times; once after the extra point. See if it can be done on the video board in the beginning so that all can see. After a year it should be automatic. Have the students begin the chant.

• Upvote 2

Here's my idea. Do it after each point is scored. After each touchdown do the chant six times; after each field goal three times; once after the extra point. See if it can be done on the video board in the beginning so that all can see. After a year it should be automatic. Have the students begin the chant.

I can't believe someone came up with a better idea than me in only 4 minutes.

• Upvote 1

I've prefered the idea for doing the chant after scores, similar to how the Razorbacks do it. I like the idea of doing the chant 5 or 6 times, no matter how the point is scored. Wait until the band finishes the fight song, then in unison yell GOOOOO, then North and Texas (how many ever times) then FIGHT 3X

I'd like to put this motion to a vote....

I've prefered the idea for doing the chant after scores, similar to how the Razorbacks do it. I like the idea of doing the chant 5 or 6 times, no matter how the point is scored. Wait until the band finishes the fight song, then in unison yell GOOOOO, then North and Texas (how many ever times) then FIGHT 3X

I'd like to put this motion to a vote....

Sure! I'll do this.

Now, who leads this? Who teaches the students? Who teaches the thousands of regular fans who do not frequent this board? I think we all know that if this fails to be effective the first few times, it will be disregarded forever, so it had better be done right.

The alumni side perspective...we participate as soon as the "NORTH" is audible to us. That's why it needs to be choreographed in some way or another...so that whichever side starts it, it's loud enough for the other side to hear the first time.

The alumni side perspective...we participate as soon as the "NORTH" is audible to us. That's why it needs to be choreographed in some way or another...so that whichever side starts it, it's loud enough for the other side to hear the first time.

Right. I sit on the Alumni side. Sec. 205. I agree, there should be some kind of a large-scale queue. The cheerleaders out on the field with their signs apparently is not enough.

I was wrangling my 2-year-old when I started hearing the mumbling. I look up and see the cheerleaders on the field with their signs, I see the student side getting loud, I and others who figured it out later, start yelling "Texas!" (who knows how many times it had gone back-and-forth before?), and we probably got 4-6 good volleys in (each one progressively louder than the previous as more people figure out what's going on) before play resumed. I was glad because it didn't die a slow death like it used to, rather, the cheerleaders stopped putting up the signs and the chant stopped.

Honestly.

<fighting so hard to bite tongue>

If cheerleaders are out there to just jump around and yell 265 different cheers that nobody in the stands cares about, someone please tell me. What is the point - exactly?

If you're whole job is to fire up the fans and get them involved and you are failing at that 99.99% of the time, don't you ask yourself -

self, this isn't working, how can we fix this??

Sure! I'll do this.

Now, who leads this? Who teaches the students? Who teaches the thousands of regular fans who do not frequent this board? I think we all know that if this fails to be effective the first few times, it will be disregarded forever, so it had better be done right.

I stand front row by the band every game. I often times lead random cheers in the section. Whatever cheer I do, the fans around me (and after a few times the band) join me.

I CAN LEAD THE WAY! I got this yo!

So which process did we decide on?

Hell.....just being organized with it is a start....but I do think the band is the one who needs to initiate it all. Our PA announcer just sucks regardless and needs to be limited on chants/fist down yells etc. I know I am going to catch flack for this but I can't help it.....I am a T-Shirt alum of LSU (wife's family) and I love how they get their chants going...especially "Chinese Bandits" after defensive turnovers/stops.

Lastly, when we kick off...rather than everyone letting out a "hhooooaaaaaa" when the ball is kicked.....we yell GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Before kick)............Mean Green (when ball is kicked). Simple.

Again.....this all being organized and prompted by the band....not the PA announcer.

I stand front row by the band every game. I often times lead random cheers in the section. Whatever cheer I do, the fans around me (and after a few times the band) join me.

I CAN LEAD THE WAY! I got this yo!

So which process did we decide on?

This is awesome. Keep doing this. :thumbsu:

If the idea of doing a "North/Texas" chant after every point scored (6 times for TD, 3 times for FG), then by the time you've yelled "North!" 3 times, it will be over, and the band may or may not have joined you yet, and the alumni side will SURELY not have enough time to join in with the "Texas!" By this time, the cheerleaders would grab their signs and just go back and forth a bunch of times until play resumes as they are accustomed to, taking the meaning out of the whole deal.

The queue would need to be more pronounced than just 1 guy on the student side, however awesome he might be.

You know what would be a good idea, but we would need the AD involved, is to have the idea presented to the entire fan base over the PA before the green brigade get there (explain the idea to the GB prior to the game, they catch onto this stuff very quickly, they don't need to practice). Then, maybe have a practice session? And in conjunction with the cheerleaders' signs, put the chant up on the big board.

Would probably only need to do this one time and it would catch on.

If it's not introduced en-masse, and shortly before it would be called upon, then it will not be understood/remembered.

Now, obviously Emmitt does not have the AD's ear, does anyone on here have the ability to introduce this to the AD and have them actually pay attention to you?

• Upvote 1