Updated 2-deep

Harry

That game at Rice was worse than the OU game

Closest I ever came to handing in my fan card was after that game.

I remember a sideline photographer came over to our group as we sat dejected in the parking lot after the game and said "I just want you to know your boys never quit out there" my friend looked back and said "God I hope that is not true!"

77 points on us by Rice truly a low point in our history.

• Upvote 1

I don't pretend to have a freaking clue as to what the heck Dodge & Mendoza were thinking during that OU game...but leaving poor Evyn Roman manned up on Malcolm Kelly for 3 quarters was easily the most shockingly bad strategy I've ever seen any football coaching staff employ. At any level. Bad day for UNT football.

Thanks for the double nut kick.

OU scores their 1st TD with 14:28 left in the 1st qtr.

That was 2007. They mention pregame that USC was the preseason #1 that year. Here we are in 2012, and USC is again the preseason #1.

So much for not being able to get away with cheating in the NCAA.

Too bad this thread is no longer about the 2-deep or our excitement for 2012.

The Todd Dode era was like slavery, the holocaust or the 1988 UT game.

If you don't occassionally bring up the worst atrocities future generations will forget...and history will repeat itself.

(It's jokes folks...well, not the Todd Dodge being horrible part)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

All I hear from my football buddies is that Lairme Lee can absolutely play ball.. Him along side truce I feel ok about the safeties.. It's the cornes I'm worried about cause they are young.. But I will say this , I bet it's a stand out position in a yr or 2 especially with Freddie.. D line is thin but still solid.. I believe sarge will produce now we just need a dt that can cause havock.. I'm just ready for some football.. Physically it's the best we've looked in 8 yrs.. We're bigger stronger and faster

All I hear from my football buddies is that Lairme Lee can absolutely play ball.. Him along side truce I feel ok about the safeties.. It's the cornes I'm worried about cause they are young.. But I will say this , I bet it's a stand out position in a yr or 2 especially with Freddie.. D line is thin but still solid.. I believe sarge will produce now we just need a dt that can cause havock.. I'm just ready for some football.. Physically it's the best we've looked in 8 yrs.. We're bigger stronger and faster

Good post - I agree. The team is about a year away from being pretty damn salty. Of course we said that in 2001 and were surprised about how things turned out (we started out 0-5 and ended up going to our first bowl in forever). I like the pieces Mac is putting into place. I like the size and speed. It's something that we lost. I saw Dickey as a guy who could land good football players but we struggled with size and speed. Dickey understood that you build through high school players and get jucos to fill immediate needs. Dodge just struggled in all facets of recruiting, and really was not a good evaluator or talent. When he realized his job was in jeopardy he was allowed to go heavy juco - and that really damaged the program. Mac seems to understand that you build through high school and the impact of size and speed (you can't teach that). We are getting better.

I believe in all the players we have until they prove me otherwise. I am looking forward to see what improvements we have made since last year. I hope the players play with the same level of confidence I have in them. Being a good football team has alot to do with confidence.

• Upvote 2

If our DB's give up a lot of catches in this game, I won't cry too much if they can at least show that they can wrap up and tackle. That OU video reminded me of probably the worst exhibition of bad tackling from our DB's that I have ever seen. I'm confident that our new DC has made some improvements in that area.

• Upvote 1

Look, I like Marcus Trice as much as anyone else, but let's be realistic for at least this and the Kansas State game - he couldn't make the two-deep at OU...and LSU and K-State are at that level.

Don't hate on 8.

Be prepared for pleasant surprises.

• Upvote 1

If our DB's give up a lot of catches in this game, I won't cry too much if they can at least show that they can wrap up and tackle. That OU video reminded me of probably the worst exhibition of bad tackling from our DB's that I have ever seen. I'm confident that our new DC has made some improvements in that area.

I will be happy if we don't give up 1-3 TD's per game from blown coverages. Last year was the most blown coverages I had ever seen from a football team. I for one am happy to have a new crop of DB's out there that hopefully know where they should be, because the last group didn't have a clue.

Look, I like Marcus Trice as much as anyone else, but let's be realistic for at least this and the Kansas State game - he couldn't make the two-deep at OU...and LSU and K-State are at that level.

I believe Trice was a part of OU's dime package as a true freshman. I hear there were other reasons (make that one other reason) he left (was asked to leave) the program that had nothing to do with his play on the field.

Good for us. Bad for them. No, I don't think we beat LSU because of Trice, but I think he helps us win a hell of a lot of conference games.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1