Staying Home: John Schilleci

Harry

John Schilleci has lived in Denton his entire life and thinks the North Texas town is a great place to live.

So it should come as no surprise that the Guyer incoming senior committed on Monday morning to play college football in his hometown for North Texas and head coach Dan McCarney.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day a class of 2013 recruit can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6.

“I think it was the best decision for me,” said Schilleci, who played cornerback for Guyer as a junior but will move to safety for his senior season. “My family has been a big influence on me. Me moving far from home would be selfish. I love the head coach [McCarney]. I think it was just the best choice.”

Schilleci had another offer from Washington State, a similarly downtrodden program with an accomplished head coach about to enter his first season atop the program, much like McCarney did in 2011. McCarney led the Mean Green to a 5-7 finish, equaling its win total from the previous two years combined.

Schilleci said making the decision between playing for McCarney and new Washington State head coach Mike Leach was not an easy one, but the geography made it that way.

“It’s close to home, and you know what, both coaches are very good and I think they’ll both turn their programs around,” he said. “I think UNT was the best choice for me, especially when Texas is the best place for football. They’ll have a lot of options for recruits.”

Schilleci is the second Guyer player in the class of 2013 to commit to a Football Bowl Subdivision program, joining offensive tackle Patrick Morris, who committed to TCU back in April.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120625-college-football-staying-home.ece