Brock Berglund Update 5.25.12

Harry

North Texas remains high on the list of potential destinations for former Kansas quarterback Brock Berglund, who plans to make a decision on where he will continue his college career by the first week of June.

Berglund visited UNT during spring practice and has also visited several other schools, including the Mean Green’s current Sun Belt and future Conference USA rival Florida International.

“There are a few variables that are taking a little longer than we had hoped, but we are coming down to natural deadlines with getting into school,” Berglund said Thursday. “I will know the first week of June where I am going for sure. I won’t make a decision any earlier than next week.”

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

You know, there is something rather off-putting to me about this. I guess I'm still stuck back in the days when one of our greatest QB's of all time, Jordan Case, wrote a letter to Hayden Fry asking him for the opportunity to walk on and win a scholarship.

To me, Burgland is still in that nebulous category of "great potential" and "great ratings" by (alleged) experts. I seem to recall a highly thought of WR who recently came through our system (wearing #14) that had "great potential".

I'm with the (late) great Don Meredith on this "great potential" thing. He used to say that "potential" just meant that you hadn't done anything yet.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Right? What a jerk this kid must be for taking his time with such a life-altering decision. Clearly he's only thinking about himself, his family and what's best for both when in reality he ought to be much more concerned with what he's doing us.

I don't think anyone is questioning that, but it ks the manner in which it is being either conducted or portrayed. He appears to be a little self centered in all of this. Hope that is how he is being portrayed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's very good and he has a lot of options. Berglund was one of the top 15 dual threat QB's in the country coming out of high school. I think his updates to North Texas have been a positive and I appreciate them. It tells me that he is trying to communicate that North Texas is high on the list -- he doesn't have to do that. The delays could be for a number of reasons.

Right? What a jerk this kid must be for taking his time with such a life-altering decision. Clearly he's only thinking about himself, his family and what's best for both when in reality he ought to be much more concerned with what he's doing us.

Agreed. If he majors in Recreation and Leisure Studies, he could end up at a very prestigious college.

Edited by greenminer

I don't think anyone is questioning that, but it ks the manner in which it is being either conducted or portrayed. He appears to be a little self centered in all of this. Hope that is how he is being portrayed.

Isn't this his decision about where he wants to go to college? Not sure how a decision about where to go to school, football or no, can be anything but self centered. I would make this decision about what's best for me as well.

• Upvote 1

If he takes much longer, he'll be eligible for social security.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

If he takes much longer, he'll be eligible for social security.

If he takes much longer, he'll be preempted by the second coming of Christ!

• Upvote 1

Isn't this his decision about where he wants to go to college? Not sure how a decision about where to go to school, football or no, can be anything but self centered. I would make this decision about what's best for me as well.

I agree, it is an important decision but he appears to have a rather high opinion of himself.

• Upvote 3

I agree, it is an important decision but he appears to have a rather high opinion of himself.

I know, it's like he has a special talent that people want or something! What a jerk!!!

You guys are absolutely ridiculous sometimes. Here we are with a chance to land a special talent and all some of you can do is bitch and moan about it. This isn't 1976, this is how football goes now. We are not in a position to tell a talent like this no. Where do you guys get that he has a huge ego problem? Has he had academic problems? Has be broken the law? Rape? Murder? Drugs? Theft? Can you blame someone for exploring all of his options? Apparently on GMG you can and should.

• Upvote 4

Unfortunately, I am obviously not wording my thoughts correctly. Honestly, I hope he ends up here and don't mean to come across as complaining. Carry on and I will sit down and keep quiet.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

I know, it's like he has a special talent that people want or something! What a jerk!!!

You guys are absolutely ridiculous sometimes. Here we are with a chance to land a special talent and all some of you can do is bitch and moan about it. This isn't 1976, this is how football goes now.. Where do you guys get that he has a huge ego problem? Has he had academic problems? Has be broken the law? Rape? Murder? Drugs? Theft? Can you blame someone for exploring all of his options? Apparently on GMG you can and should.

Totally Agree

We are not in a position to tell a talent like this no

Well , we did to Scotty Young ...

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Totally Agree

Well , we did to Scotty Young ...

and the Scotty Young decision will likely play out in C-USA as La. Tech scooped him up when we didn't offer...man I'm excited about this coming season but that first year in C-USA will be delicious no?

My HSO...

The frustration isn't with the kid or the delay in making his decision. We all recognize the importance of it from football, academic, and social perspectives.

The frustration is with the changes in sports media coverage. Vito's challenged by some to provide constant updates - regardless of how substantial - while others would rather just get the news once it's final.

My suggestion: If you only want the news, don't read the blog. If you're looking for "worthless" updates, read the blog.

• Upvote 5

Unfortunately, I am obviously not wording my thoughts correctly. Honestly, I hope he ends up here and don't mean to come across as complaining. Carry on and I will sit down and keep quiet.

I thought that i worded mine clearly, but I'll try and make them clearer.

If this young man is being careful with his decision because he is looking past football and wants to be prepared to have a career and/or just make a living, then great. He's being a lot more thoughtful (and plan-full) than most potential athletes coming out of High

School.

I just don't want to read about it until he has actually enrolled and/or signed whatever documents that says that he is committed to this school and football program.

This whole process sounds like the NCAA version of "The Bachelor". And I suppose that that is what is most annoying to me.

• Upvote 3