CBS Reports 6 new schools to CUSA

KoldBeer

... and Texas State just thought they couldn't feel worse about being passed up by a team with one year of D1 football. Now they are being passed up by two teams who have yet to play football. (Granted, circumstances aren't exactly the same).

No, they sure aren't. TSU is getting "passed up" by two teams with light years more athletic and academic skins on the wall.

• Upvote 2

A what?

Oh yes... I forgot.....UNCC has one as well

800px-Dale_Halton_Arena.jpg

FIU is going to be so embarrassed when they play at others basketball arenas and realize that their admin did not even come close to setting them up for success with that dingy facility they built.

Also....UNCC is building a 15k person Football Stadium (expandable to 40k). It would appear that they are just building the lower bowl for now. I will also be making Charlotte trips since I have some friends there that love the city and constantly beg me to come out.

Posted-Image-1.jpeg

First of all.... I am personally very excited about both of these additions. I lived for 4 yrs in Norfolk and Virginia Beach when I was in the Navy..... I still have quite a few friends that live there and I WILL be making the trip to VA if we ever play them in their house. I can promise you that there is more to do around VA Beach than most any away destination you have been to. So many historical spots in the area (Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown are all less than 45 min away) plus a very acceptable beach and cheap hotels to boot.

I've lived in Richmond for the past four years and I concur. I'm not one who likes laying around in the dirt on a beach but there's lots of stuff to do in Virginia and the Virginia Beach area. Whenever we play a game there I'll be sure to attend!

So, In football, we basically just made a lateral move.

Great.

No. We still moved up.

And we moved up a fair amount in the categories of all other sports, academics, travel, funding, national reputation, and revenue among other important qualities.

Right now, this is better than the Sun Belt. 5 years from now, this will be WAY better than the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 5

Interesting move....I kinda like it but I never thought about Old Dominion but I do know about the successful basketball programs. And if they can sell out their football stadium and it being hard to get a ticket then that is really cool. As for Texas State....if the MWC truly wants a presence in Texas then I think they will seriously look at adding them.

One other thing about this proposed move--UNT just joined a conference with (overall) some schools with excellent academic reputations. By association, this could be a good thing to elevate UNT's academic game to where it should be.

• Upvote 1

No. We still moved up.

And we moved up a fair amount in the categories of all other sports, academics, travel, funding, national reputation, and revenue among other important qualities.

Right now, this is better than the Sun Belt. 5 years from now, this will be WAY better than the Sun Belt.

Exactly. Two of the teams added to C-USA were 8-5 in FBS last season, FIU and LaTech, and SoMiss, Tulsa, Marshall and ECU have all been very successful FBS programs. Old Dominion sees a huge bump in basketball, and their FCS campaign has been very promising thus far. They also have more in the way of financial resources than any other new member. UNC-Charlotte is a great baseball program, a solid basketball program, and they are located in a big metro area.

Every program being added either has solid facilities or is in the process of upgrading them, and UNT, FIU, UNC-Charlotte, UTSA and ODU are all in large metro areas.

Fantastic!!!! I was pushing for ODU for the sunbelt, as well as VCU for non-football. Really we couldn't ask for a better situation. Just look at ODU's facilities, they are the best FCS candidate out there, and have great support.

With these adds we could be one of the best conferences with the new format coming in play in 2014. Certainly better than the MWC side.

CUSA East - Charlotte, ODU, ECU, FIU, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB

CUSA West - LA Tech, North Texas, Rice, Texas SA, Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP

More discussion on the CUSA Board: http://csnbbs.com/sh....php?tid=567858

Just out of curiosity: Should this all come to pass, and the conference is divided as suggested, which division AT THIS POINT looks like the stronger of the two in football?

I could make an argument for either, but personally CUSA East ( given Marshall; Southern Miss; FIU; ECU in particular) appears to be the stronger of the two based on recent, and projected future, performance.

GMG

What we are witnessing is a good old cock block. CUSA knows that the Belt will look to expand and by taking two more of their prime candidates, they ensure that those schools do not go Sun Belt. Plus it keeps ECU happy and tightens the divisions for Olympic sports. Brilliant move.

• Upvote 1

Looks like we just added some much needed stock to the basketball part of the conference, too.

Is this heaven or Iowa?

GMG!

As important as football is, and it is the driving force in all of this, one must remember that the ability of some of these schools to strengthen C-USA in basketball and baseball means more tournament placements and more NCAA payouts.

• Upvote 1

What we are witnessing is a good old cock block. CUSA knows that the Belt will look to expand and by taking two more of their prime candidates, they ensure that those schools do not go Sun Belt. Plus it keeps ECU happy and tightens the divisions for Olympic sports. Brilliant move.

Exactly. The SBC doesn't get the richest school, ODU, nor does it get the Charlotte and Norfolk metro areas.

No. We still moved up.

CUSA has schools that have been ranked and with a good team or 2 will most likely continue to get such votes but....the Sun Belt still has not overcome that bug-a-boo one time and I don't know how soon they will.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1