Sunday night coach search update - down to 3 candidates

Sunday Night Coach Search Update - MG Blog

RV says he's down to three candidates but doesn't actually name them. RV is thinking about it and should have a decision in a few days. Vito discusses three coaches he knows we've talked to but doesn't know for sure if they are the final three: Fran, Benford, and Forrest.

I'm hoping there's another candidate that we haven't heard of yet who is a current HC somewhere (like Petersen).

• Upvote 1

Vito mentions that we hit a homerun with JJ who had very little HC experience before we hired him. However, there wasn't any high expectations for JJ when he got here. The program was down and there was time for the program to grow with him. Now, we have maybe the best team we've ever had coming back and we really don't have the opportunity for a HC to be learning on the job.

If these are the final three candidates then I hope it's Fran. I'm also hoping there's another current HC who's name hasn't come out yet.

Edited by NorthTexan95

I think RV has something up his sleeve. We all know that he wants a proven coach with experience. I think Benford and Forrest are the only two assistants considered, but who knows if they are in the final three? I am sure that there are some head coaches of current teams being considered, and us, unlike SMU, doesn't tell the world of every coach we interview.

That'd be frackin awesome!!!!!! He IS available. He's already rich, so he doesn't need a lot of money. I wonder if there is a house in the Denia area available.

I know for a fact there is. He should be warned that I keep my dog unleashed in the front yard though.

Fran has been out of coaching & recruiting too long. Capel or Benford would be better fits here IMO.

Its hard to say that Fran has been out of recruiting for too long... Hes gained more connections with local HS's, and AAU coaches while working for ESPN than most current coaches.

Im all about Fran being hired, I just wanted a coach that at least made it past the first round