Any Reports on the Spring Game

UNTLifer

I was there for a couple of quarters. Chaz sampson made a nice grab down the sideline for a big gain. In the third quarter Osborn was struggling. I could not tell how they had the teams split up, so not sure if he was facing 1st or 2nd team D. Cooper jones had a catch at tight end. I noticed no one threw the ball marcus trices way while i was there as well. On a side note, I saw Jarmarcus Jarvis in the concession line and he looks the part.

Edited by Greenhorn
  • Upvote 1

Green team was 1s and 3s and white team was 2s and 4s. The white team got a 20 point spot and never scored.

Ya, a little concerning for depth.

With Jones's switch to TE, we are also short on QB depth.

The bright side is it appears that WR and RB are in capable hands.

1st team DBs did a nice job, but the second teamers struggled. Also, the amount of sacks on both sides is concerning, yet at the same time encouraging for the D line.

The average spectator really can't learn a whole lot when you are playing with yourself...

It turned out the way it was supposed to turn out. The Green Team doing all the scoring and the White Team not scoring at all; which is a very good thing. There are plenty of new weapons in the arsenal. I think the MG will be MUCH improved over last year, also a very good thing.

It turned out the way it was supposed to turn out. The Green Team doing all the scoring and the White Team not scoring at all; which is a very good thing. There are plenty of new weapons in the arsenal. I think the MG will be MUCH improved over last year, also a very good thing.

I agree. Even with a few players out, I thought the team looked good. Very pleased with the way the D played. I still have concerns about our RB position. Our backs are good, but still haven't seen one with the extra gear Dunbar had. But, overall, I think we look better than we did at the last Spring Game. I think that's all we could really hope for.

Spring games are rarely indicative of anything. Good crowd, I thought the lack of rosters and an announcer that seldom bothered to mention who made defensive plays was a hindrance to event. About the only reason to attend a spring game is to watch how players have progressed and what new players may be of help.

Most of this you can gather from others comments. A lot of players had good days but have to remember the starters are going against the second team and with NT's lack of depth; it makes the game even more one sided. Thompson looked good and all four of the running backs had their moments. Brown, Jimmerson, Whitaker, and Byrd looked good at times. Overall, Brown and Jimmerson probably looked the best but all that came in the second half when the second team really was outclassed.

Surprised I have not seen anyone mention the miraculous catch and flip into the end zone by Brett Renger. He was out of bounds before the flip, but an amazing play anyway. He also had some other good catches.

Osborn had some good plays but was was mainly running for his life behind the second team offense line. McNulty also had some good passes playing on the first team. Teegarden is going to press someone for a starter position. He and Chancellor had the best game of the receivers. Cooper Jones had at least one catch at tight end. Field goal kicking was awful, and I hope based on this game that Olen does not have to punt. The first team defense looked good against the seconds, Obi made several plays.

In summary, again I don't think too much can be learned from the spring game; other than NT has little depth. At rb, I think it is safe to say that Dunbar will be missed; no one comes close at this point, but there is talent there and hopefully a star can surface. The defensive backfield, probably the most questionable unit, didn't look too bad. Only a couple of catches were made by wide open receivers; the coverage was close for the most part.

Edited by GrandGreen

It's tough to take a lot from these games, but the team did look faster than in the past to me. Definitely not as fast as you would like, but good enough for the belt next season. DT looked good, seasoned, and ready to be a leader. Osborne even looked OK at times but the O line play wasn't very good yesterday. Too many sacks given up, but again it's tough to tell one way or another about the o line in a spring game, once Cyril is back I'm confident we'll have an above average unit for 2012. KC Obi played well as did the back up #49 Daryl Mason who's a sophmore, LB's looked alright and Brelan Chancellor has continued to get better and will be a real threat at the slot position. Marcus Trice played well and you could tell they made a habit of not throwing his way.

If Delgado, Bynes and Sampson every now and again can hold down the outside WR spots, Brelan will wreck SBC defenses this season. I hope Teegarden can continue to improve as well and that Power doesn't regress from his shoulder injury, but I was content with what I saw yesterday. This team has improved but still has some holes and question marks heading in to the fall, but I still think we have a 6 win team here.

• Upvote 1

Which of the running backs stood out? To this point doesn't really sound like anyone has pulled away,

Well, if you mean "has the next Lance Dunbar/Patrick Cobbs stepped forward?", then no.

Of the four that have been getting the most reps, Brandin Byrd is probably going to be the starter. He's the power back of the group and he's pretty quick. If I had to rate the other three, I would go Brown, Jimmerson and Whitfield.

Brown (#20), who is very quick and elusive (and surprisingly strong) broke two very long runs. One he got caught from behind, and one he didn't. Jimmerson (#22) is a combination of fast/elusive and power. Whitfield (#23)is mostly fast and elusive. Maybe it was because he was wearing his number, but on more than one occasion Whitfield made what I thought looked like some classic Bernard Jackson-like runs.

I can't remember if Byrd got the ball thrown to him much, but the rest of the group did, and they are all good receivers.

What all this means to me is that, because of the talent of our WR/TE group, our opponents will not be able to put eight in the box any longer.

• Upvote 1

1) My general takeaway was that we more resembled a college football team than last years spring game. I was mortified after the game last year. The more physical nature of the team is continuing. The players are bigger and stronger.

2) We are still battling the depth issue. It may be another 2 years before that is resolved.

3) I continue to be impressed by the level of buy in to the coaching staff from the players. They seem so jazzed about getting better every day and taking it to the next level.

I think it is going to be very enjoyable to watch the Mean Green progress the next 10 years. Progress will be slow and painful at times but we are definatley headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

It's really hard to judge because they were going against our second and fourth? defensive units. The defensive line and linebackers were adequate; it was just the defensive backfield that struggled.

We clearly have problems with depth among the defensive backs. With Warner out and Swarn gone there were only five scholarship DBs available and one of those just received his scholarship before game time. Two are transfers and one played on special teams. We will have to rely heavily on the four incoming freshmen. Inexperience will cause some DBs to get burned but just maybe we'll be okay by late season.

Frankly, I feared the worst and I wasn't disappointed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Surprised I have not seen anyone mention the miraculous catch and flip into the end zone by Brett Renger. He was out of bounds before the flip, but an amazing play anyway. He also had some other good catches.

I have asked several people at the other scrimmages who #87 was during the spring. No one seemed to know. It wasn't until the spring game that I found out his name. Here is his profile from the Southlake web-site.

http://www.carrolldragons.org/news_detail.aspx?page_id=23&news_id=453

He appears to be an overachieving (and hungry) walk-on. We need lots of guys like him on our team. I really hope to see him this fall..... hustling and pushing his way into the line-up.

* from his Southlake profile

Favorite pro player: Wes Welker......... :thumbsu:

Edited by SilverEagle

2) We are still battling the depth issue. It may be another 2 years before that is resolved.

Dodge's Hail Mary signing class of 2010 with 10 JUCOs is currently killing our depth. The guys from that class that were not JUCOs:

2010 Signing class preps

DT Richard Abbe

DE Aaron Bellazin

RB Brandin Byrd

WR Breland Chancellor

DS Blake Dunham

OL Graylin Hawkins

OL Antonio Johnson

K Zachery Olen

LB Zach Orr

QB Derrick Teegarden

DB Will Wright

OL Mason Y'Barbo

Hawkins is gone, but pretty much every other non-JUCO signed that year will contribute heavily. Key problem with that class today is, with Will Wright moved to LB, it gave us no DBs.

2010 Signing Class JUCOs

WR Christopher Bynes - Still here!

DB Ryan Downing

DB Seven Ford

LB Brad Graham

DB Jamison Hughes - never showed

LB Forlando Johnson

DB D'Leon McCord

DE Michael Miller - ?

TE Jamize Olawale

DB D'Andre Wood - never showed

Two DBs from the 2010 never got to campus for various reasons. Six DBs signed in 2010: 5 JUCO, 1 prep; the prep is now a linebacker, two never made it to campus, the others have used their eligibility.

2009 isn't much better. At DB, we've got Hilbert Jackson to show for it. We signed Chevy Bennett, who JUCO'd and then signed with Houston. JUCO Ira Smith signed and played out his eligibility.

To his credit, McCarney hasn't panicked at DB, despite the number not being on his side. He's only signed one JUCO DB in two classes. The young guys will take their lumps this year...but, they'll be around three or four more years and should be a real strength in 2014.

• Upvote 2