After Scotty Young gets here...

...does it signalfy to other Denton players that giving UNT a shot is the right thing to do? I think it does.

That thought occurred to me as well. However, because he is 2 years removed from high school, he probably doesn't have many friends that he could talk to about coming to unt. Maybe this opens some eyes. I would LOVE to have access to even a small portion of the talent that is obviously present in Denton. UNT would benefit doubly...both in talent and in support from the actual people of Denton.

If this were true, it would definitely make me gladhappy. I might even go as far as to say it would make me hoppy-cited.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

That thought occurred to me as well. However, because he is 2 years removed from high school, he probably doesn't have many friends that he could talk to about coming to unt. Maybe this opens some eyes. I would LOVE to have access to even a small portion of the talent that is obviously present in Denton. UNT would benefit doubly...both in talent and in support from the actual people of Denton.

If this were true, it would definitely make me gladhappy. I might even go as far as to say it would make me hoppy-cited.

Go Mean Green!

I bet there will be a few folks at Ryan who will remember Scotty and how good he was. If he came to UNT, I'm sure Ryan kids would take at least a closer look at UNT.

• Upvote 1

I bet there will be a few folks at Ryan who will remember Scotty and how good he was. If he came to UNT, I'm sure Ryan kids would take at least a closer look at UNT.

The great thing here is we may actually get to see if this comes true.

Edited by SHOSS
  • Upvote 1

Yes, indeed it would open some eyes and yes, Scotty Young has several friends left at Ryan HS these days and at Guyer and at Denton HS. Plus, he would be chatting about UNT and bringing his family and friends with him to the game. This kid was a winner at Ryan and commands some local respect for the work he did while at Ryan, so, yes, indeed, it would be a positive...plus the kid can probably play!

Would it change a lot of minds locally about playing at UNT...yes and no...you would still have the "I want to get away and I want to play for a bigger school" sort of thing working against you, but it would put a little crimp in that argument as the Mitchell, Williams, et al signings in BB have done.

So, I hope young Mr. Young does come to UNT. It would have been a great place for him to sign in the first place, but "come on down" Scotty....I think you would look great wearing the Mean Green Green!

• Upvote 1

Maybe but you have to keep in mind that unless if you're a super power big time school most 17-18 year old kids would like to get away from home as much as possible. I'm sure they may give us a look but I wouldn't count on them unless we go on a serious winning run and become what we think we can be in the future.

• Upvote 1

Did I miss an announcement?

Maybe but you have to keep in mind that unless if you're a super power big time school most 17-18 year old kids would like to get away from home as much as possible. I'm sure they may give us a look but I wouldn't count on them unless we go on a serious winning run and become what we think we can be in the future.

I see comments similar to this on here all the time. I'm not sure I agree. That theory doesn't seem to hold true for our basketball recruits. I also think it's going to vary tremendously from one player to the next. Not every 17-18 year old is a rebellious little heathen that just wants to get as far away from mom and dad as he can. For some of these kids, the idea of playing close enough to home where relatives and friends can attend every home game is an appealing one.

Talking about this makes me wish that James Battle committed here. I just knew he would never step on the field at TCU. He could have been a star here.

my favorite high school athlete of all time. after the Ryan vs. Ennis comeback i felt pretty confident that i would never need to watch football again since nothing could possibly top that game.