It's official

emmitt01

i honestly believe they dont deserve to be with the team or on the bench, home or away. they didnt do what they needed to do to deserve being a d-1 athlete, why do they get to be with the team and hang out on the bench? they coulda been doing homework last night.

I'm actually glad they're on the bench with the team.

They still need to be a part of the team. They need to be there to cheer on & encourage their teammates. They need to stew on the bench at how they could be contributing. And they're still getting coached as well.

Edit: even though I disagreed, I wouldn't -1 that.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 7

i honestly believe they dont deserve to be with the team or on the bench, home or away. they didnt do what they needed to do to deserve being a d-1 athlete, why do they get to be with the team and hang out on the bench? they coulda been doing homework last night.

Hope you don't fall off that high horse. They screwed up, I would guess they have figured that out. Those two are very talented on the court and no doubt will be great players if they get their academics in order. I certainly hope that happens at NT.

• Upvote 4

Its not me being a high horse....it the fact that playing and BEING on the Unt basketball team is a PRIVILEGE and NOT a right. To me...and its just my personal opinion, they dont deserve to be on the bench or around the team untill the academic issues are taken care of....just my two cents.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Its not me being a high horse....it the fact that playing and BEING on the Unt basketball team is a PRIVILEGE and NOT a right. To me...and its just my personal opinion, they dont deserve to be on the bench or around the team untill the academic issues are taken care of....just my two cents.

Part of being a team is having each others backs through the good times and bad. I would hate to see the team turn their backs on Jones and Williams, who simply made a mistake - a big mistake but it's still just a mistake.

In light of what is going on with the Rangers, do you think they should now ban Hamilton from the ballpark, too?

Edited by Keith7
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Part of being a team is having each others backs through the good times and bad. I would hate to see the team turn their backs on Jones and Williams, who simply made a mistake - a big mistake but it's still just a mistake.

In light of what is going on with the Rangers, do you think they should now ban Hamilton from the ballpark, too?

why the hell would you ban someone from the clubhouse due to a moral decision??? these two situations are totally different. hamilton chose to go nonalcholic/drugs due to his issues when he was enjoying them. jones and williams chose not to live up to the responsibilities that were required of them having a scholarship.

part of being a team is taking care of your own responsibilities...something jones and williams didn't do. i'd be fine with them not being around the team....they chose not to be part of it anymore by slacking on their academics and letting their team down, therefore, turning their backs on the team.

hamilton only let himself down...nothing about not drinking is in his contract or part of him being a texas ranger!

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It not that i want the team to "turn their backs" or anything like that. i hope they still hang out with the guys during non-basketball times and are studying and going to class with their teamates. i have no problem with them watching the games from the stands of the pit, they can do all the supporting they want. i just feel they do not deserve the PRIVILEGE to wear the warmup's, sit on the bench, be in the timeout's ect...anything basketball related should be taken away untill they have proven they can handle the academic end of school. i want them here, hell i think we are the tourny favorites right now if we had em. i just feel like they dont deserve anything yet they get everything but being in the game. that is a punishment, just not big enough to me. I hope the rest of the team kicks ass and runs the table. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Should they get to travel with the team to Hot Springs for the SBC tournament? Should they get rings if the team wins the tournament? Should they get to accompany the team to the NCAA tournament, on NT's dime? These are perks from being a member of the team?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Edited by GreenBat

OK the Hamilton analogy was a bit of a stretch. But seriously, the team shouldn't turn its back on Jones and Williams. This is a learning experience for both of them - hopefully they'll be better in the long run for it.

this is what i find weird...i have yet to say that yet people keep saying that's what i mean...i dont want the team to turn their back on em, i want them to help them through it, but i just dont believe they deserve to act like they are on the team when they are not eligible. that's the last im going to say, i guess its just my pet peeve and how i feel. i also hope they make the grades and join us again next season, i think they are great talents.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the two players where Tre and forrest would you be crying and whining soo much. When people are doing good you are all for them but when they make a mistake how quickly you turn,you are not in jones and Williams shoes. Yes they did not take care of business and they do not get to play. They earn scholarship yearlyso they still got a chance and schools make way more money off of these kids playing sport than what their scholarship is even worth but nobody talks about that?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the two players where Tre and forrest would you be crying and whining soo much. When people are doing good you are all for them but when they make a mistake how quickly you turn,you are not in jones and Williams shoes. Yes they did not take care of business and they do not get to play. They earn scholarship yearlyso they still got a chance and schools make way more money off of these kids playing sport than what their scholarship is even worth but nobody talks about that?

Respectfully disagree. They have a responsibility to their team and the school that foots their bill...even while they sit this semester. Should they be exiled or have to sit in the stands? No, nothing so Draconian.

Now if you want to discuss schools profiting from players, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. And we could debate that for days in a thread all its own.

I personally know these boys and they really did not comprehend the fact that you are a student first and an athlete second. So many people in your ear telling you how great an athlete you are it went to their heads. Is that an excuse !No but it explains the lacksidasal attitude. I'm glad it happened now,you have no excuse not too pass now that you have been exposed. As far as being a parent i would be upset because these coaches and advisors tell you they are going to make sure they keep you informed and stay on your child academics,when asked about their grades several times the answer was always they are good,why lie? Then wait until its too late to correct it and still let them keep playing. That is crazy

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As far as being a parent i would be upset because these coaches and advisors tell you they are going to make sure they keep you informed and stay on your child academics,when asked about their grades several times the answer was always they are good,why lie? Then wait until its too late to correct it and still let them keep playing. That is crazy

That is crazy, considering we were told this week for some odd reason at a football event, rather than a basketball event, by our athletic director that the athletic department did everything in their power to keep these boys in line?

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

There is no agenda, majority of all athletic tell you what you want to hear so you will send your child to their college but as a parent you really have to make sure to stay on top of things and not the staff telling you everything is fine. When my son goes to college i am gonna stay on him hard. Thanks for the example north texas,kudos to Jordan and Chris for not being cowards and running away from your mistakes,you guys are on your way to becoming great young men,I'm proud of all the young men and women who are at least trying to better themselves,everyone falls as long as you get back up again and keep trying i can't help but admire that. Look at Tony mitchell people said nationally that he would never play division 1 bball..well?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Interesting that they are even on the bench but at the same time I hope it is eating them alive seeing what their lack of attention has done to their friends and teammates.

Good life lesson being taught early on at least.

I believe it was bothering them quite a bit. There were times when I saw both with a disappointed look on their faces and other times with their head in their hands.