BASKETBALL TAILGATE - Feb. 2nd

KRAM1

It doesn't offend me one bit. But it should offend our ladie's basketball team. Especially when their coach went out of her way on a bad weather night to attend, thus help promote a previous event of his held at Metzlers.

She shows up as requested to help his event and gets shit on in return.

Of course if anyone has been paying attention will have realized by now that Karen Aston is probably getting used to getting shit on around here?

Rick

Nice language there Rick...I hope your kids don't read the board...gee, surprise...you know who worked, helped organize and paid for that event at Metzler's. No one is defecating on anyone...you are really going overboard. And, I didn't notice you showing up at Metzler's so all you info is second hand...so, you really have no business even referring to that event. Coach Aston was VERY appreciative of that event...as was Johnny Jones and all the UNT Mean green Club staffers helping with the event....and, for your information...many of us from that event have been in attendance at more women's games this year than we have in several prior years combined...so, get off your high horse about this event having anything to do with defecating on Coach Aston or her program..Shame on you.

Anyone is free to make of this event what they want...those of us who are working to put this event on will enjoy their time and enjoy being with those who do attend. Everyone is welcome. As I mentioned earlier, I'll keep one on ice for you, Rick and look forward to seeing you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

But that's not what you have done. By coming here you are promoting one team over another, and that's not right.

Would it be ok with you if the alumni ass promoted volleyball over soccer? It shouldn't. It wouldn't be to me.

Rick

Not what's happening at all...sorry you want to try to make it into something it is not.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not what's happening at all...sorry you want to try to make it into something it is not.....

This phrase, or a derivative, is popping up from you alot recently. Bluntly, it reeks of stubbornness.

I wouldn't go as far as FFR, where poo-poo is concerned, but it seems like a slight to the ladies to start the tailgate festivities during a ladies bball game. I don't know if whoever chartered the idea knew it was a doubleheader or not... maybe that is the issue: lack of competency? Otherwise, if someone knew of the women's bball game and scheduled the tailgate anyway, the ladies were poo-poo'd on. :unsure: Looking again at your original post, there's no mention of the ladies game, which makes me think they were not even thought of... If so, that's ok, just admit that and move on.

To promote attendance of the tailgate, sponsored by the denton chapter of the alumni association during a women's BB game is certainly NOT promoting the women's bball team. Do you at least agree with that?

It's one thing for a group of posters on here to say: "Hey, we're tailgating during the women's bball game in anticipation of the mens game". It's totally different to have a sanctioned group that represents a large body of alumni to do the same.

My $.02... and honestly, here's to hoping for a light turnout at the tailgate.

• Upvote 5

This phrase, or a derivative, is popping up from you alot recently. Bluntly, it reeks of stubbornness.

I wouldn't go as far as FFR, where poo-poo is concerned, but it seems like a slight to the ladies to start the tailgate festivities during a ladies bball game. I don't know if whoever chartered the idea knew it was a doubleheader or not... maybe that is the issue: lack of competency? Otherwise, if someone knew of the women's bball game and scheduled the tailgate anyway, the ladies were poo-poo'd on. :unsure: Looking again at your original post, there's no mention of the ladies game, which makes me think they were not even thought of... If so, that's ok, just admit that and move on.

To promote attendance of the tailgate, sponsored by the denton chapter of the alumni association during a women's BB game is certainly NOT promoting the women's bball team. Do you at least agree with that?

It's one thing for a group of posters on here to say: "Hey, we're tailgating during the women's bball game in anticipation of the mens game". It's totally different to have a sanctioned group that represents a large body of alumni to do the same.

x2

Ditto. I'm not a huge Women's basketball fan, but I like catching the last few minutes when it's before a mens game.

I look forward to a day where we have enough fans/alumni interested enough in whatever floats their boat to make any UNT event a success no matter when it's held.

Also, I'm really surprised that this is in the basketball board. Right where the womens basketball thread should be.

Maybe Kram is right, maybe he should start an alumni association announcements forum for all serious talk (only) about the alumni association.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

But that's not what you have done. By coming here you are promoting one team over another, and that's not right.

Would it be ok with you if the alumni ass promoted volleyball over soccer? It shouldn't. It wouldn't be to me.

Rick

Ya, because I love getting all those Track and Field emails from the AD. There is a pecking order in college sports. It goes football, Men's basketball, and then at a total other level is women's basketball and men's baseball, then all other sports at a level below that. Yes this is a generalization, and there are the rare exceptions, but for the most part, this holds true, and it darn sure holds true at UNT.

Who knows, I may even go earlier for the tailgate, stay 30 or 45 minutes, and decide to go catch the end of the women's game. Something I would NEVER do if not for the tailagate. No it doesn't make me a bad person that I don't like/attend womens basketball, just like it doesn't make anyone else a bad alum if they don't attend Tennis, volleyball, soccer, or, heaven forbid, football (not a bad alum, just an idiot).

KRAM is right. It's all about choices. And the tailgate may even get me and a few others to watch a few minutes of the women's game.

I don't think some on here know how much KRAM does for not only the alumni association, but members of this board. Not real smart to bite the hand that feeds you.

• Upvote 5

I don't think some on here know how much KRAM does for not only the alumni association, but members of this board.

I agree....Some may choose to agree or disagree with KRAM on this and other topics but he does indeed put in a lot of time and effort in being a Volunteer Rep for the MGC, the Denton Chapter Alumni Association Board and organizing the GMG.com BB & FB games. He certainly does not fall under the description of All Hat No Cattle.

• Upvote 1

Ya, because I love getting all those Track and Field emails from the AD. There is a pecking order in college sports. It goes football, Men's basketball, and then at a total other level is women's basketball and men's baseball, then all other sports at a level below that. Yes this is a generalization, and there are the rare exceptions, but for the most part, this holds true, and it darn sure holds true at UNT.

Who knows, I may even go earlier for the tailgate, stay 30 or 45 minutes, and decide to go catch the end of the women's game. Something I would NEVER do if not for the tailagate. No it doesn't make me a bad person that I don't like/attend womens basketball, just like it doesn't make anyone else a bad alum if they don't attend Tennis, volleyball, soccer, or, heaven forbid, football (not a bad alum, just an idiot).

KRAM is right. It's all about choices. And the tailgate may even get me and a few others to watch a few minutes of the women's game.

I don't think some on here know how much KRAM does for not only the alumni association, but members of this board. Not real smart to bite the hand that feeds you.

Completely agree... People just need to calm down...You dont have to show up or stay for the entire time, its a flippin tailgate. Be thankful that someone is hosting an event for you, instead of finding the negative in every little detail

• Upvote 3

word... it's not like I can attend a tailgate on a thursday that starts before 5 PM anyways... I think getting people to the tailgate at 5:00-5:30 gives them ample time to eat and then attend the women's game...

i don't understand how providing free food and fun is all of a sudden a bad thing... it's right next to the SuperPit...

• Upvote 1

No one is dismissing past efforts Kram has accomplished. We are dismissing this one.

And I wouldn't hold it against you for not getting into women's basketball either, unless you intentionally(even if by mistake) set out to promote against it, which I don't think you would ever do?

I have a feeling common sense will prevail here in all of this? At least I hope so?

Rick

• Downvote 3

Kram is a good guy, great fan. I wish we had 10,000 more just like him. I just disagree with the timing of the event, nothing more. I hope this doesn't discourage him for doing future events. I'm sure next time he will make sure there is not a conflict of interest

• Upvote 2

looking at it objectively... I would have a better chance of going to the Women's game, WITH this tailgate then without it...

because i have no idea when the women's games are on a regular basis

Yep. This promotes the women's game, whether that was the original intent or not doesn't matter.

People who go to the women's game most of the time would go there anyway (all 600 of them). All the tailgate does is get UNT fans right next to the Pit with the opportunity to check out the women's game as something to do when they lose interest in the taillgate.

Sadly, I think FFR is right. This event will probably be cancelled as a result of bitching from a completely unenlightened minority.

No sweat off my back. I just won't take off work early as I had already planned, thus giving a ZERO percent chance that I attend the women's game at all.

Congratulations to the complainers. You win

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So there is an event trying to promote one sport, which some people feel is in insult to another sport. The AD scheduled another doubleheader (and since they have so many of these it is much more difficult to avoid these kinds of conflicts). And all of this over our very successful men’s basketball team and the exceptional turnaround brought on by our exceptional new women's coach.

stock-photo-8241720-wrinkled-100-bill-on-ground.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yep. This promotes the women's game, whether that was the original intent or not doesn't matter.

People who go to the women's game most of the time would go there anyway (all 600 of them). All the tailgate does is get UNT fans right next to the Pit with the opportunity to check out the women's game as something to do when they lose interest in the taillgate.

Sadly, I think FFR is right. This event will probably be cancelled as a result of bitching from a completely unenlightened minority.

No sweat off my back. I just won't take off work early as I had already planned, thus giving a ZERO percent chance that I attend the women's game at all.

Congratulations to the complainers. You win

woohoo way to whine as well and not support a new coach who has been doing very good things this year. Boo Hooo!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

woohoo way to whine as well and not support a new coach who has been doing very good things this year. Boo Hooo!!!

Congrats. You win Internet fan of the year. Meanwhile, I'll keep driving 3 counties to men's basketball games, keep my men's basketball season tickets, and renew my club level seats for the next football season.

You better have a big one if you want to have a penis measuring competition, my friend.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Well, not like you support one that is one of the best we've ever had. A coach who has by far the best win percentage in SBC tournament games the last six years.

But I guess Coach Jones really is just a "paper tiger" who just "chokes when the chips are down" or something like that. Maybe he should be more of a hack and take up tennis.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2