This Has Gotta Hurt Cowboy Fans!

From the Port Arthur News-

"John McClain, the long-time Houston Chronicle columnist, got in one of the best lines of the week as a guest on a Dallas sports talk show. As he was wrapping up a segment that was mostly about the Texans, McClain said he had one more thing he’d like to point out. He then mentioned that Texans’ rookie QB T.J. Yates has as many playoff victories on his resume as does the Cowboys Tony Romo. Too bad that he didn’t add Texans owner Bob McNair, whose team didn’t come into being until 2002, has as many playoff victories to savor in 10 years as Jerry Jones does since 1995 . . . "

OUCH!

:thumbsu:

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not that I'm a Cowboys fan, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here...

Yates didn't get the wins that the Texans needed to get into the playoffs, and he went up against another rookie QB to get his ONE playoff victory. Yates played a rookie in Andy Dalton.

The QB's Romo has gone up against, that I can think of off of the top of my head:

-Manning

-Favre

-Was it McNabb's last year in Philly a few years back when they played?

-Hassleback

ALL of those QB's have either played in, or won a Superbowl.

I'm not an Romo-lover, or a Cowboys lover by any means, I'm actually a Vikings fan, but I don't always understand all the Romo hate. Most teams would love to have him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As long as the Cowboys have a general manager by the name of Jerry Jones, this situation will continue to exist.

However, the ESPN report about where the Cowboy gear is made, and the conditions there, is far more damaging to their image......or should be.

The last time I was anything approaching a Cowboy fan was when Jimmy Johnson was the head coach.......the REAL head coach.

Call me when they win 5 Super Bowls.

"Hello, 1970's? Is that you?"

"Oh, I'm sorry... Well, in that case- Is '20 years ago' there?"

"Oh, okay."

"Well, could you please let both of them know that an expansion team called? Thank you, and you have a good day, too."

"Hello, 1970's? Is that you?"

"Oh, I'm sorry... Well, in that case- Is '20 years ago' there?"

"Oh, okay."

"Well, could you please let both of them know that an expansion team called? Thank you, and you have a good day, too."

I don't seem to remember the Oilers ever winning a Super Bowl either....They have had a pro team, for all but a few years, and have nothing to show for it.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, the Cowboys suck, and are unlikely to become a well-run franchise as long as there's a Jones at the helm, which will probably be the rest of my lifetime. Oh well.

However, it took the death of Peyton Manning to allow Houston to make any noise... and that noise was from the 10 fans left in Houston after they killed the Oilers. Granted, 10 Houston fans blow enough hot air to launch a thousand zeppelins, but it is what it is. Never heard anyone crow so much about winning a single playoff game... against the Bengals (the 3rd place team in their own division).

Houston played in a terrible division and got bounced from the playoffs the second they played a real contender. I guess that's like winning the Super Bowl for them. Congratulations?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the Texans had a decent healthy quarterback, they would've beaten the Ravens. Arian Foster and the defense both played well enough to win, Yates just threw too many INTs.

I don't understand all the hate for Houston. I guess it is because Wade Phillips came in and turned our defense around(even without our top pass rusher).

Oh and we would've been to the Super Bowl with the Oilers if Bud Adams wasn't such as scumbag.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If the Texans had a decent healthy quarterback, they would've beaten the Ravens. Arian Foster and the defense both played well enough to win, Yates just threw too many INTs.

I don't understand all the hate for Houston. I guess it is because Wade Phillips came in and turned our defense around(even without our top pass rusher).

Oh and we would've been to the Super Bowl with the Oilers if Bud Adams wasn't such as scumbag.

We'd liked to assume they would have beaten Baltimore with Schaub but no one really knows. The Giants beat the best quarterback in the planet last week and Alex Smith took down probably the 2nd or 3rd best qb in the planet right now. With or without Schaub Baltimore was going to be the favorite anyways.

Cowboys fans were ecstatic to see Wade Phillips go. No one ever denied he was one of the better DC's in the game and we know that the Cowboys defense doesn't have as much talent as what their names on paper show. Good for Houston on their season...It took Peyton Manning not playing a single down for them to win. Tho I am one to believe that they were pretty good but they didn't know how to win and maybe this just triggers consecutive seasons of being good and playoff level.. They've been so bad for so long that at some point it had to come together because they have a ton of high draft picks on that team.

You're right Bud Adams is a douche and he should have never left Houston but when you have that much power and own a professional sports franchise...you can pretty much do whatever you want.

I am happy for Wade, you will never hear me complain about him, I think he is a great DC. He may not be the best head coach, but Dallas had some good seasons with him.

We'd liked to assume they would have beaten Baltimore with Schaub but no one really knows. The Giants beat the best quarterback in the planet last week and Alex Smith took down probably the 2nd or 3rd best qb in the planet right now. With or without Schaub Baltimore was going to be the favorite anyways.

Cowboys fans were ecstatic to see Wade Phillips go. No one ever denied he was one of the better DC's in the game and we know that the Cowboys defense doesn't have as much talent as what their names on paper show. Good for Houston on their season...It took Peyton Manning not playing a single down for them to win. Tho I am one to believe that they were pretty good but they didn't know how to win and maybe this just triggers consecutive seasons of being good and playoff level.. They've been so bad for so long that at some point it had to come together because they have a ton of high draft picks on that team.

You're right Bud Adams is a douche and he should have never left Houston but when you have that much power and own a professional sports franchise...you can pretty much do whatever you want.

You are making an assumption here. The Texans split the series with them last year. Arian Foster went for over 200 yards in the game they won against the Colts.

The Texans are building a team that will be good for a long time. People can keep marginalizing the Texans' season all they want, but the Texans have played good games against the Colts with shitty teams in the past. No reason to think this defense wouldn't have gotten to Peyton The Christ either.

There aren't a lot of teams that are equipped to make a deep run in the playoffs after losing their first and second string QBs, missing one of the best WR's in the league for half the season, starting the season without one of the best RBs, and losing an all-pro DE for more than half the season.

Yates did win the game at Cincy to clinch the Division. That was big time. And he played another great game in the teams first home playoff game. That shouldn't be discounted.

In the end, they didn't win at Baltimore (which was an especially frustrating game because you felt like they really could have come away with that one). But still, give credit where credit's due.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Yates and the Texans. Nice season and nice playoff win.

I am not yet ready to put Yates up there with Romo...or any other #1 QB in the league.

I think he helps his resume when it is time for contract talks.

I think he is carrying a clipboard again next year.

I will take Schaub over Yates any day. I don't think many in Houston want to see a switch but we all really appreciate what our third string QB was able to do for the team. Any other team in the league would have folded after losing the star players the Texans did.

There is no question in my mind we would have won the Ravens game with Schaub. We should have won it without him. Jacoby Jones I am looking at you!

Edited by HoustonEagle

I don't seem to remember the Oilers ever winning a Super Bowl either....They have had a pro team, for all but a few years, and have nothing to show for it.

---True... but who were they losing to... the Steelers.... a lot of teams even lost Super Bowls to the Steelers including the Cowboys ....twice. They made the AFC finals and the Steelers who won it all beat them.. Earl Campbell and some others on those teams made the NFL Hall of Fame.. Even Warren Moon from a later era did and is still 5th on the all time passing yards list..... and played in Canada for several of his early years which would move him to 3rd if you could count those yards. .

--The Houston Oiler "run and shoot" offense is pretty much the father of the spread formation used today in the NFL.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66