UNT AD Rick Villarreal candidate for Southern Miss?

Harry

“I’m not sure what kind of person that is, whether it’s a man, a woman, old or young. We don’t have our sights set on one type of candidate. We want someone with a lot of energy and passion and someone who will appreciate Southern Miss. We want them to have ideas for moving forward. You know the stresses on an athletic department and money is tight all over. The costs are increasing. There are a lot of stresses. We want someone with real vision, someone who can see over the hill and say ‘Here’s who we are, here are the resources we have and here’s where we want to go.’”

North Texas athletic director Richard Villarreal, Auburn senior associate athletic director Scott Carr and East Carolina executive athletic director Nick Floyd have all worked at USM in the past and are candidates often mentioned by the USM faithful.

Saunders said Tuesday that the search committee will approach the task with an “open mind.”

“We don’t know who’s out there,” Saunders said. “I’m told by the Conference USA commissioner (Britton Banowsky) that there’s a lot of talent in the pipeline.”

Read More: http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20120118/SOUTHERNMISS/120117021/Adams-Driskell-named-head-up-USM-search-committee?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

I don't see RV leaving. USM may be home but he has invested way too much time and energy and overcome way too many obstacles overs the years to walk away now when the payoff may be just around the corner.

I also think that UNT offers so much more potential than USM. Opinion.

If he does I wish him the best and thank him for all he has done for UNT.

I can think of two bad hires that most people here thought were brilliant at the time. Be brutally honest. Think about what Rick has done here and look at the constant fan base grumbling and meager compensation he gets in return, then tell me why Southern Miss shouldn't at least be something he would be open to investigating.

So let me think about this. More money, better conference, fewer fans on speed dial and back to where home is.

Somebody calls me up with an offer like that, I'm certainly gonna listen.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think this is an indication of the positive things that RV has done for UNT, and the fact that lots of folks within the college athletic ranks view him very favorable. It seems a shame that some of the Mean Green's own can't "see the forest for the tress" enough to appreciate the tightrope that RV has to walk. His willingness to open up to fans and his efforts to upgrade the UNT program across the board, for me, are real pluses within his tenure at UNT. Instead of seeing the positives some want to focus on some supposed slight or decision made that they don't agree with and simply cannot get past it for any reason and no matter what takes place. Being an AD is a tough job. Case in point.....after one road football game this last season and in meeting the players after the game, I noticed this "big dog donor" bending RV's ear for what seemed like forever...RV could not get away to deal with anything he may have needed to do nor talk with any players, players parents or coaches as the guy was going on and on and on....even grabbed a meal that was set out for the players! Nice. Here we have a big dog donor grabbing a meal intended for the players, bending RV's ear and simply doing the "look at me...I'm important" thing in front of all to see...yes, it was after a road loss...tough time for the team.

You just can't get away from this stuff, and at UNT we have been spoiled by an AD who allows access to him from large and small donors alike. Yet, folks still want to complain about how they would do it better, have better ideas and how RV just must not be on top of things...

TOUGH TOUGH job and getting harder and harder all the time. Be careful what you ask for as if RV does leave for S Miss or any other spot, the "next guy" may have very different views of access and how smaller donors are treated.....

I think this is a bit of an honor for UNT and for RV. But, I do hope his ties remain with the Mean Green! UNT is a great place to be and Denton is a great place to live. I'm hoping that's enough to keep RV "Mean Green" and leading UNT's program.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think this is an indication of the positive things that RV has done for UNT, and the fact that lots of folks within the college athletic ranks view him very favorable. It seems a shame that some of the Mean Green's own can't "see the forest for the tress" enough to appreciate the tightrope that RV has to walk. His willingness to open up to fans and his efforts to upgrade the UNT program across the board, for me, are real pluses within his tenure at UNT. Instead of seeing the positives some want to focus on some supposed slight or decision made that they don't agree with and simply cannot get past it for any reason and no matter what takes place. Being an AD is a tough job. Case in point.....after one road football game this last season and in meeting the players after the game, I noticed this "big dog donor" bending RV's ear for what seemed like forever...RV could not get away to deal with anything he may have needed to do nor talk with any players, players parents or coaches as the guy was going on and on and on....even grabbed a meal that was set out for the players! Nice. Here we have a big dog donor grabbing a meal intended for the players, bending RV's ear and simply doing the "look at me...I'm important" thing in front of all to see...yes, it was after a road loss...tough time for the team.

You just can't get away from this stuff, and at UNT we have been spoiled by an AD who allows access to him from large and small donors alike. Yet, folks still want to complain about how they would do it better, have better ideas and how RV just must not be on top of things...

TOUGH TOUGH job and getting harder and harder all the time. Be careful what you ask for as if RV does leave for S Miss or any other spot, the "next guy" may have very different views of access and how smaller donors are treated.....

I think this is a bit of an honor for UNT and for RV. But, I do hope his ties remain with the Mean Green! UNT is a great place to be and Denton is a great place to live. I'm hoping that's enough to keep RV "Mean Green" and leading UNT's program.

Well, when you keep said "big donor" in tow all the time, you set yourself up for certain moments.

Well, when you keep said "big donor" in tow all the time, you set yourself up for certain moments.

You have a vaild point there...I wonder if it is a chicken or egg dilemma...who is keeping who in tow?

Rick V. has done more as Athletic Director than any before him. Hayden Fry included. Crank back our facilities to where they were prior to his arrival and see how you like it.

Other schools see it. It's too bad that our own fans don't see it. Maybe Apogee Stadium is in their line of sight.

Thanks Rick. GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Rick V. has done more as Athletic Director than any before him. Hayden Fry included. Crank back our facilities to where they were prior to his arrival and see how you like it.

Other schools see it. It's too bad that our own fans don't see it. Maybe Apogee Stadium is in their line of sight.

Thanks Rick. GO MEAN GREEN

Well said - Thank you!

IT'd be a shame to see him go. There are few bigger supporters of the Athletic Bands than RV! He comes and thanks the Pep Bands and Marching Band after EVERY game!

He's remembered my name after hearing it just once, and always shakes my hand to say thanks if he sees me after a basketball game.

Are there any other AD's at a school our size that are doing that? I doubt it. The way he handles people is top notch.

• Upvote 2