Marcus Trice Picture

Dr. Seuss

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but it doesn't matter how high this young man can jump. And it doesn't matter how well he catches the ball. Because someone has to be able to get the ball to him. And that someone (the QB) is not going to be able to do that if he is running for his life on every play.....or every other play. If we get more Cyril Lemons, that is not likely to happen.....then Marcus Trice has every opportunity to be a beast.

In addition, if we recruit the second coming of Booger, Joe Greene...etc, etc etc, we could then have more control of the defensive line and therefore be in a much better position to limit our opponent's time on offense. This would then give us even more time on offense.....and then Marcus Trice would have even more opportunities to be a beast.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and stats on the guys who can help Marcus Trice realize his potential to be a beast.

As the late Clara Peller would say.......WHERE'S THE BEEF!

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but it doesn't matter how high this young man can jump. And it doesn't matter how well he catches the ball. Because someone has to be able to get the ball to him. And that someone (the QB) is not going to be able to do that if he is running for his life on every play.....or every other play. If we get more Cyril Lemons, that is not likely to happen.....then Marcus Trice has every opportunity to be a beast.

In addition, if we recruit the second coming of Booger, Joe Greene...etc, etc etc, we could then have more control of the defensive line and therefore be in a much better position to limit our opponent's time on offense. This would then give us even more time on offense.....and then Marcus Trice would have even more opportunities to be a beast.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and stats on the guys who can help Marcus Trice realize his potential to be a beast.

I completely agree with you but trust me when I say this.. Hes not the 4* transfers that we gotten in the past. The guy is a Mac type of player, exactly like Lemon, extremely humble and just wants an opportunity to play and be close to home.

Every player on the team tells me that he is the real deal... They wouldnt blow smoke. The reason why he transfered was to play and be close to home, he waiting on a scholarship from TCU but UNT offered it to him first. He also received scholarships from all the top SEC programs but he already committed to Mac and wanted to stay true to his word. From the times ive talked to him, hes been extremely polite and humble. Just wait

And hes playing DB next year most likely safety, its gonna be nice to have DBs who can catch the ball

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

I completely agree with you but trust me when I say this.. Hes not the 4* transfers that we gotten in the past. The guy is a Mac type of player, exactly like Lemon, extremely humble and just wants an opportunity to play and be close to home.

Every player on the team tells me that he is the real deal... They wouldnt blow smoke. The reason why he transfered was to play and be close to home, he waiting on a scholarship from TCU but UNT offered it to him first. He also received scholarships from all the top SEC programs but he already committed to Mac and wanted to stay true to his word. From the times ive talked to him, hes been extremely polite and humble. Just wait

And hes playing DB next year most likely safety, its gonna be nice to have DBs who can catch the ball

....and he'll be in a better position to intercept if the QB is making an ill-advised hurried throw, because he is being chased by a DT/DE that looks like this guy.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDARauimgmM

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Trice will be at Safety next year..

Don't recall Oline and Dline being a big detractor this year. Both are very young but Oline did not allow near the number of sacks as last year nor did the Dline ever get totally dominated. In fact the Dline will actually be bigger and more experienced next year..

• Upvote 1

With the addition of the Feldt brothers and a year of working out and experience under the youngsters belts on the O-line, I think the offensive line will be one of our better units.

We could definitely use some defensive lineman though, defensive end specifically.

• Upvote 2

I seem to be reading a small batch of posts by a select few who are convinced in their own way where Trice is playing in the back 7 next year.

I say we all get together and discuss it over a game of Monopoly and a batch of burgers. My experience tells me this will decide once and for all where he will be lined up.

Edited by greenminer

Bill, you know that 99% of the time I would agree with you wholeheartedly. This particular season, though, I think you have to give credit where it is due to the coaching staff. Let's take a look...

Of this year's starting linemen THREE are freshmen:

Cyril Lemon (true Fr)

Mason Y'barbo (RS Fr)

Antonio Johnson (RS Fr)

Add to them the Feldt brothers and we should be, in my opinion, potentially better than we were this year. Taking nothing away from this year's line but another year of experience for the three that were starting this year and then the infusion of what on paper is two high caliber guys sets us up pretty nicely.

As to the D-line:

No players from this year's line will graduate this year. Tevin Cantly will be a Senior next season. Brandon McCoy will be a Junior. K.C. Obi will be a Senior. Boutwell and Richard Abbe will be Juniors.

Taking a look at the current commitments, out of 13 commitments 6 are on the Offensive or Defensive lines...two DE's, two DT's and two OL. When you consider the drastic need for talent at pretty much any/all postitions on this team this is a good number as far as I'm concerned. We developed some decent WR's over the season but a few "go-to guys" never really emerged. Lance is gone so I'm happy to see a few RB's in the fold.

In fact, if you were to ask me where the glaring deficiency in this class so is, I'd say it's actually at DB where Trice plays. Just one DB on board right now and practically your entire secondary gone.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bill, you know that 99% of the time I would agree with you wholeheartedly. This particular season, though, I think you have to give credit where it is due to the coaching staff. Let's take a look...

Of this year's starting linemen THREE are freshmen:

Cyril Lemon (true Fr)

Mason Y'barbo (RS Fr)

Antonio Johnson (RS Fr)

Add to them the Feldt brothers and we should be, in my opinion, potentially better than we were this year. Taking nothing away from this year's line but another year of experience for the three that were starting this year and then the infusion of what on paper is two high caliber guys sets us up pretty nicely.

As to the D-line:

No players from this year's line will graduate this year. Tevin Cantly will be a Senior next season. Brandon McCoy will be a Junior. K.C. Obi will be a Senior. Boutwell and Richard Abbe will be Juniors.

Taking a look at the current commitments, out of 13 commitments 6 are on the Offensive or Defensive lines...two DE's, two DT's and two OL. When you consider the drastic need for talent at pretty much any/all postitions on this team this is a good number as far as I'm concerned. We developed some decent WR's over the season but a few "go-to guys" never really emerged. Lance is gone so I'm happy to see a few RB's in the fold.

In fact, if you were to ask me where the glaring deficiency in this class so is, I'd say it's actually at DB where Trice plays. Just one DB on board right now and practically your entire secondary gone.

Where are the two D-linemen that were signed last year? One was moved to the OL, and the other left the team after the first game of the year. Net gain depth-wise.....0. I'm very impressed with how the present coaching staff has developed Cantley (he was sprinting on and off the field this year instead of waddling), and Boutwell looks pretty impressive for an undersized DL, but we could not afford any sort of injuries to the DL this year. We were damn lucky in that area.

I agree that the OL is a potential strength next year, but I'm not going to get excited about the Feldts until this spring when we see how the transfer Feldt does. Because after the complete failure of the OU WR transfer (#14) I've become a bit dubious (with the possible exception being Ivan Delgado) of transfers from other schools.

With the addition of the Feldt brothers and a year of working out and experience under the youngsters belts on the O-line, I think the offensive line will be one of our better units.

We could definitely use some defensive lineman though, defensive end specifically.

Dont expect Cam to do much next year, hes the typical 4* transfer that weve recieved in the past... At least in practice he hasnt shown much just talks a lot of sh!t. I want to see how his brother does, bc if hes anything like his brother then they wont be much of an upgrade.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Trice was contributing at OU from game one of his freshman year on special teams. That's a lot of other 4- and 5-star recruits he elbowed past over one summer to gain Bob Stoops' attention.

Posted video of him blocking a punt and causing a fumble on a kickoff earlier in the year. He played safety at OU on defense.

He is unlike Tyler Stradford in that he was on the field contributing at OU for two seasons in a meaningful way. Barring injury, he will be a great player at UNT, a team first guy who goes 110% every play.

I like that McCarney has ties to the old coaching network. When kids ask for releases, I'm sure it helps us that there is a past relationship between McCarney and the Bob Stoopses and Bobby Petrinos of the world.

We have something special here. The new stadium. Damn nearing breaking even with a new OL and DL. These coaches are getting players who are gamers. Freddie Warner...the guy was all over the place before his injury.

Looking for to seeing Marcus Trice, Cam Feldt, and many other contribute to many years of success for us.

Coach Mac indicated last evening at his radio show that the O-Line is much improved right now just by taking the red shirts off a couple of guys. He also indicated that they will be recruiting O-Line and D-Line guys going forward. I am hopeful that the "beef" is on the way.

Coach Mac indicated last evening at his radio show that the O-Line is much improved right now just by taking the red shirts off a couple of guys. He also indicated that they will be recruiting O-Line and D-Line guys going forward. I am hopeful that the "beef" is on the way.

We are off to a good start with some beef... do we need more? Absolutely. Remember, we only have like 6 slots left... this coaching staff is doing well already with 2 DT's. I trust that these kids are going to contribute unlike previous classes where the DE's and DT's end up not making it to campus and/or leave the program etc...

Times...they are a changin... I bet we get atleast 2 more DT's in this class... You'll see...trust in mac...

I think we may be good for O-line for now.

Dont expect Cam to do much next year, hes the typical 4* transfer that weve recieved in the past... At least in practice he hasnt shown much just talks a lot of sh!t. I want to see how his brother does, bc if hes anything like his brother then they wont be much of an upgrade.

Wow! Your expertise regarding offensive linemen is far greater than Dan McCarney's?

Gimme a friggin' break!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow! Your expertise regarding offensive linemen is far greater than Dan McCarney's?

Gimme a friggin' break!

When someone who has identified themself as a student speaks this frankly about players, it usually means they are buddies with another player or players. Take his comments with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't dismiss them.

I certainly hope Cam Feldt does not believe he'll walk right into our starting rotation without putting in work.

I guess we'll have to see come Spring Practice...

Gimme a friggin' break!

We have a ton of posters that act like recruiters on the recruiting section of the board. When our members get their hard on about recruits I guess that is ok but nobody can have an opposite viewpoint therefore your comeback is comparing him to that of the head coach?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gimme a friggin' break!

Never said my expertise is greater than Mac's, all I said was that he isnt the 4* transfer that you would expect to get. 4* means that youre one of the best in the state; especially in Texas. Those type of players should have immediate impact on a team with all 3* and under.

I dont think and many others dont he'll be an upgrade over Tomlinson, thats going to be a tough lost. These freshman will get better and Im excitied to see how much they improve this offseason. BTW Coach Simmonds is a beast of a coach, he did a great job this year!!

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

Never said my expertise is greater than Mac's, all I said was that he isnt the 4* transfer that you would expect to get. 4* means that youre one of the best in the state; especially in Texas. Those type of players should have immediate impact on a team with all 3* and under.

I don't know if I disagree with what you're predicting, but if I am reading you right, I think it is incorrect to expect anybody - including 4* - to come in and blow a lineman out of the water if said lineman has 1+ season of college food/weight training under their belt. A 2* or 3* junior lineman is going to be a leg up on any kid coming out of high school. The exception might be a top-25 recruit at his position nationally.

Having said that, I don't know where Cam stands from experience: did he get to practice at Arkansas? Train/eat, etc? I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if I disagree with what you're predicting, but if I am reading you right, I think it is incorrect to expect anybody - including 4* - to come in and blow a lineman out of the water if said lineman has 1+ season of college food/weight training under their belt. A 2* or 3* junior lineman is going to be a leg up on any kid coming out of high school. The exception might be a top-25 recruit at his position nationally.

Having said that, I don't know where Cam stands from experience: did he get to practice at Arkansas? Train/eat, etc? I have no idea.

I can agree with you on that, I just wanna throw an example for you that I know first hand.

Henry Melton 4* recruit out of Grapevine in 2005, one of the best athletes in the State, lazy in HS but naturally gifted. 6'3 275lbs ran a high 4.5 40. Went to UT to play RB, played 2 years at RB then switched to DE is final 2 years. Played a little DE is senior year but only wanted to play RB. His uncle Ray Crockett told him his freshman year, if you switch to DE, ill give you my hummer.. He said no. Most other colleges wanted him to play DE but Mack Brown said he can play RB.

First year got 10 TD, 2nd year tired to jump over a DB in the Ohio State game when he could of plowed right though him for the TD. He got benched the remaining of the year bc he was switching to DE (he was also behind Jamal Charles). Jr year, pulled some pretty good stats for his first year at a new position. Sr year, broke out had a great year I dont feel like looking at stats. On his pro day he beat Brian Orakpo on every drill, best pro day at UT.

Was drafted in the 5th round in 2009 by the Chicago Bears, didnt play his first year, went on IR because he switched to DT. This is the same guy who was recruited as a RB at UT. Had a good 2nd year, sacked Brett Farve. 3rd Year was the starting DT on the Bears and he weighs 295 lbs and is having a good year.

That is a 4* athlete. A player that has great ball instincts, can do anything you tell him to. Some would say hes undersized at DT but when you play in the right system thats what matters. I hope Cam can do something this offseason and show us that he is a 4* that showed in HS. I hope he can be but I dont think so, I just hope Im wrong

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss I appreciate your insight and always enjoy your posts. You seem to have a little heads up on what's going on, but IMO that is a horrible analogy.

You are talking about a kid who came into college at a skill position. Lineman are a completely different animal. Get a kid with some speed and a first move and there are tons of examples all over the country of frosh making impacts from day 1. Lineman are just a completely different animal. I suspect I am not nearly football savvy as you, but can we agree on that?

By the time your example gets to be a lineman, he's been in the college system for 2 years.

Again, not disagreeing with your analysis (I can't, ha!, haven't seen him at practice). Just color me skeptical. You're trying to tamper any enthusiasm about him being all-world SEC boy toying around in the Belt. I think most people here just like to think he's a solid starter and possibly all-conference before he's finished.

Let me ask you this: based on what you've seen as of now - you don't even see the guy in the 2-deep rotation?

Edited by greenminer

Dr. Seuss I appreciate your insight and always enjoy your posts. You seem to have a little heads up on what's going on, but IMO that is a horrible analogy.

You are talking about a kid who came into college at a skill position. Lineman are a completely different animal. Get a kid with some speed and a first move and there are tons of examples all over the country of frosh making impacts from day 1. Lineman are just a completely different animal. I suspect I am not nearly football savvy as you, but can we agree on that?

By the time your example gets to be a lineman, he's been in the college system for 2 years.

Again, not disagreeing with your analysis (I can't, ha!, haven't seen him at practice). Just color me skeptical. You're trying to tamper any enthusiasm about him being all-world SEC boy toying around in the Belt. I think most people here just like to think he's a solid starter and possibly all-conference before he's finished.

Let me ask you this: based on what you've seen as of now - you don't even see the guy in the 2-deep rotation?

He'll be in the rotation and maybe a starter but I dont think he'll be the playmaker that Trice will be... Thats my whole point.