1 person found Dead at Occupy Denton

This guy wasn't a student. He was one of Denton's homeless and apparently had drug problems.

YET... our University felt the need to send public condolences and offer counseling to students for a guy who was apparently just taking advantage of the protests and squatting on our campus and shooting up in a tent right next to an academic building.

Incredible.

• Upvote 4

This guy wasn't a student. He was one of Denton's homeless and apparently had drug problems.

YET... our University felt the need to send public condolences and offer counseling to students for a guy who was apparently just taking advantage of the protests and squatting on our campus and shooting up in a tent right next to an academic building.

Incredible.

For anyone who thinks the hipster element of UNT is dying off......just don't read the comments on the Facebook posts by the University. I seriously doubt that Mother Teresa's death caused nearly as much concern as did this transient and homeless drug addict.

A drug addict? What a terrible person! He's not worthy of any of our empathy!

Sorry, just trying to fit in.

We're not saying that at all.

We're saying:

-The University shouldn't have allowed an Occupy Denton protest on campus with overnight tents/camping

-Non-students should NOT have been protesting on campus

-The death of a homeless drug addict does not make the Occupy movement look like a movement to be taken seriously

• Upvote 2

We're not saying that at all.

For anyone who thinks the hipster element of UNT is dying off......just don't read the comments on the Facebook posts by the University. I seriously doubt that Mother Teresa's death caused nearly as much concern as did this transient and homeless drug addict.

Really?

We're saying:

-The University shouldn't have allowed an Occupy Denton protest on campus with overnight tents/camping

-Non-students should NOT have been protesting on campus

There's a thread for that. No need to make a new one to try and prove some sort of point that occupy people are homeless drug addicts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really?

There's a thread for that. No need to make a new one to try and prove some sort of point that occupy people are homeless drug addicts.

I'm not saying that they're all homeless drug addicts. I'm just saying that it definitely makes the occupy movement look bad when a homeless drug addict DIES at one of their protests.

Edited by kalebschumann
  • Upvote 2

A drug addict? What a terrible person! He's not worthy of any of our empathy!

Sorry, just trying to fit in.

Worthy of our empathy.... yes. Worthy of a potential lawsuit against OUR university due to negligence in maintaining a drug free environment on the campus and more specifically within the camp itself???? No.

You are putting words in my mouth....and being just a little bit too dramatic brah.

OCCUPY WALL STREET CROWD...a bunch of folks who have accomplished nothing protesting folks who have. A bunch of folks who don't even know what or why they are protesting, have no uniform message and who are now being controlled by some of the very BIG MONEY folks they want to seem to protest. Priceless!

Some of the UNT crowd is treating this "homeless guy" as more of a pet than a human being. I am sure he was welcomed with open arms in the encampment and treated to free food as well...like I said a "pet" not a human being and now we have folks here doing the "oh so sad thing". Yes, it is sad...it is sad that the guy chose to use drugs, to end up homeless and to die as he did. He was, indeed, a human being and it's tough to see this happen to anyone. But, let's all understand that he was probably in no way interested in the OWS movement, but rather a dry and warmer place to shoot-up and grab some free food from college students.

I feel sorry for his family and for his situation. I hope they find peace with the fact that their loved one chose to live his life the way he did and to have to die by what appears to be his own hand in such a situation. May God grant him peace and may he rest in peace. Sad, but 100% predictable for this situation.

Like was said earlier...UNT should have policed this and not allowed anyone not a student or otherwise associated with the university as faculty/staff to be involved on campus property.

Sad, so very sad on many levels.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not saying that they're all homeless drug addicts. I'm just saying that it definitely makes the occupy movement look bad when a homeless drug addict DIES at one of their protests.

Oh sure, this board focuses on the one drug addict who died in Denton. Should I make a thread about the cops who injured the innocent occupy protester in Oakland? The protester who was an Iraq veteran? Certainly makes the cops look bad when they injure someone, eh?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Oh sure, this board focuses on the one drug addict who died in Denton. Should I make a thread about the cops who injured the innocent occupy protester in Oakland? The protester who was an Iraq veteran? Certainly makes the cops look bad when they injure someone, eh?

Well, you could also focus on the child molesters they have rounded up in several of the camps.....and perhaps the others around the country that have died in the camps. Sure, why not?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

really and you have proof that it was the police? I have heard conflicting stories on the Oakland debacle, but I also assume you believe the UC-Davis Students were not blocking the police as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

really and you have proof that it was the police?

I think the video evidence is pretty clear.

but I also assume you believe the UC-Davis Students were not blocking the police as well.

Whether they were or not, they didn't deserve the pepper spray shower. But that's cool, let your political convictions outweigh police brutality, if that's your thing man.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Well, I think there is proof that one Occupy Denton "protester" was a homeless drug addict, isn't there?

Obviously, not the whole movement is that way, but to deny that there is a portion of the movement that is exactly like this man is naive.

Also, UNT is private property. They should have ended this weeks ago by issuing criminal trespass warnings to the non-students and telling the students they would be removed from school if they did not follow the proper protocol for demonstrations. They didn't, and now they have the death of a protester on their hands. I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy's family sue the university.

• Upvote 3

This board is obviously focused on this death because it occurred on our campus and effects both the students and the reputation of the school.......hence the reason why it is talked about so much by people all over campus and the alum. I thought posting it here was rather relevant.....being that this is, last I checked, the North Texas fan board.

Well, you could also focus on the child molesters they have rounded up in several of the camps.....and perhaps the others around the country that have died in the camps. Sure, why not?

If these kids were doing something wholesome like playing sports, we wouldn't even be talking about child molesters.

• Upvote 1

If these kids were doing something wholesome like playing sports, we wouldn't even be talking about child molesters.

Sure we would. Just not for another 10 years or so...

Too bad they closed down Occupy Dallas. It would have been the perfect accomodations for the Penn St. coaching staff when they hit town for their bowl game.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sure we would. Just not for another 10 years or so...

Too bad they closed down Occupy Dallas. It would have been the perfect accomodations for the Penn St. coaching staff when they hit town for their bowl game.

Penn State? Houston? Doesn't matter to me...they're all pink on the inside.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1