Mississippi State (11/27/11)

CMJ

Our team has talent, no need to keep expectations low. I can see this young team keeping it close if they can finally understand how to play as a team. We'll see how long it takes them.

We should keep expectations reasonable. And when low is what's reasonable, that's where our expectations for a game ought to be.

As much talent as we have, Mississippi State has more. A lot more. We brought in a couple of 3 star recruits. And I'm thrilled to have them... But our great salvation is Tony Mitchell. Meanwhile, Mississippi State has 2 guys as highly rated as Tony Mitchell was in his class (Tony = 12th, Hood and Sidney = 16th) currently active.

The other 6 guys in their rotation are Deville Smith (74th in his class) and DeMarquis Bost (83rd), both Rivals 4-star prospects, Arnett Moultrie, Jalen Steele, and Wendell Lewis- all Rivals 3-star prospects. Brian Bryant was unranked by Rivals out of JUCO... He averages just under 10 ppg and 6 rpg.

We have 13 scholarship players. 2 are not currently eligible. Of the remaining 11, only 4 have more than 3 games of experience in a North Texas uniform. And the recruiting experts that said our talent is good all say that almost every single guy in Mississippi State's rotation is better than our best available player. The only exception is a guard who currently averages almost 10 and 6.

The way to beat superior talent is generally with a mixture of team cohesion and a little bit of good fortune. So far this season, we haven't shown much of either. Last year's team would have had a better shot at the upset. A young team that's struggling... I think we'd win about 1 in every 12 or 15 games like this, on average. That may even be optimistic.

On top of the talent gap, we're playing on the road, and right after Thanksgiving (historically, not our recipe for success). We're facing a top 25 team (proportionately the same as playing a team in the top 8 or 9 in football). This looks to be, by far, our hardest game of the regular season.

I want to see our guys go out and fight for the win like starving animals battling over food. But realistically, my expectations are not high for this game at this point in this season in this phase of our players' careers.

To put it in our customary fashion:

Can we? Yes.

Will we? I hope so, but I'm not going to rant and rave if we struggle again in this game. We're struggling, they're hot, they're far more talented, and they're at home.

With respects to SilverEagle- We'd better not go there to lose. JJ and the guys need to come out and give it everything they've got. They need to believe and play like they can win these types of games. Because I think eventually, they will. It's just going to be hard as hell to do it tomorrow.

We should keep expectations reasonable. And when low is what's reasonable, that's where our expectations for a game ought to be.

We have 13 scholarship players. 2 are not currently eligible. Of the remaining 11, only 4 have more than 3 games of experience in a North Texas uniform. And the recruiting experts that said our talent is good all say that almost every single guy in Mississippi State's rotation is better than our best available player. The only exception is a guard who currently averages almost 10 and 6.

Does this mean that Patton could be eligible by the end of the semester?

• Upvote 1

Does this mean that Patton could be eligible by the end of the semester?

Everything I heard at the start of the season was that he'd likely never be able to play for us, even with a full year to get right with his academics.

But he keeps making cryptic comments about being eligible soon... I'm not expecting anything, but who knows?

Everything I heard at the start of the season was that he'd likely never be able to play for us, even with a full year to get right with his academics.

But he keeps making cryptic comments about being eligible soon... I'm not expecting anything, but who knows?

Yea, I actually heard from a player on the team that he plans to play very soon, and if it does not work he plans on playing next year. But this is a big question mark for me.... but if he is a no show and Mitchel leaves I suppose we have two more ships next year which I do not see be used on 3 star players

So will the game be on espn3!?

I checked last night and didn't see it listed on ESP3. You can purchase form the Miss. State website for $12.95, but will have to remember to cancel because it is only available as a monthly subscription. You can purchase here: https://www.nmnathletics.com/PremiumVideo.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800

This game is a fantastic opportunity for Mean Green basketball to get a win over a Top 25 team. This would create even more momentum and exposure for our burgeoning program. Based on our play in the last game, I do not expect us to win, but if our guys can get their "A" game going today and play as a team at their actual talent level, I think we have a chance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This has been a much, much better start.. though we are still prone to turn overs... New starting line-up with Alzee and Niko.... Looks a little more polished and under-control... still have trouble feeding the big man... pass seems to get stolen often... need to be quicker and more decisive on these passes...