Texas Tech (11/16/11)

CMJ

All I saw tonight was a bunch of guys, Jones excluded, that really don't know their role. This will change as the season progresses. I saw guys that were hesitant and guys that forced a lot of opportunities. They are still trying to figure out where they all fit in and I think JJ is still trying to figure it out as well. We have a lot of raw talent, but it is just that: raw.

Coach Gillespie is a first year coach and he has it figured out with 12 new players - How long will it take our coach to figure it out?

• Upvote 1

Im not being sour The clowns here can't take anyone criticizing JJ. But they will be the first ones crying over here in March when we don't have a high enough rpi to get us to post season should we not win out because we don't schedule anyone but patsies to start the season.

Rick

We just played a Big 12 team the second game of the season and you're already moaning about scheduling? You're sour.

Im not being sour The clowns here can't take anyone criticizing JJ. But they will be the first ones crying over here in March when we don't have a high enough rpi to get us to post season should we not win out because we don't schedule anyone but patsies to start the season.

Rick

Even if you could get a good team to take a chance playing us, I really don't think you want to walk a team full of newcomers into the Fog or Cameron Indoor for their first couple games. Besides, there's no telling where Tech, Texas, SHSU, or LSU will end up at the end of the season.

If our RPI isn't high enough, normally we can point to our conference schedule and blame them. We do have to pull our weight and win some OOC, but hell it was half our teams first college road game.

Also, everyone here criticizes JJ. All agree he should be left in Lubbock to count the sand granules.

Edited by MeanMag

Well the Tech – UNT game is thankfully over. Quick game summary – Players at one point in second half were shooting 12% (Deer in Headlights – totally intimidated) – 1 of 16 from 3 point range - for the game shooting percentage some was in the 33% range – Chris Jones only player that showed up tonight – no one else could hit their a_ _ with a base fiddle. No one was using the bank when they were in the paint.

Only time we pressed was in last 3:00 minutes of the game – No zone defense at all – not sure we know what a 2-3 zone is – in last 19 seconds we let the clock run down 12 sec. before we called a time out – did not foul immediately.

Final summary – out coached, out played, players totally intimidated - Only one player showed up tonight.

Why on earth would we zone up? Lew was good, but far from dominating inside...we held their perimeter shooters to 2-11 from 3, a game after they knocked down 9 3's against almost exclusively zone from Troy.

I'd love to see more press...especially if we're gonna be rolling out 10 guys a night.

Last 19 seconds, 1 possession I'd contend you defend for 3-5 seconds in hopes of a steal or turnover or foul... definitely let far too much time elapse.

No one was intimidated...we and we certainly weren't out-coached or out-played. These are 2 similar teams and someone had to win. And someone did...by 5 effing points. Chill out with the doom and gloom, champ.

Why on earth would we zone up? Lew was good, but far from dominating inside...we held their perimeter shooters to 2-11 from 3, a game after they knocked down 9 3's against almost exclusively zone from Troy.

I'd love to see more press...especially if we're gonna be rolling out 10 guys a night.

Last 19 seconds, 1 possession I'd contend you defend for 3-5 seconds in hopes of a steal or turnover or foul... definitely let far too much time elapse.

No one was intimidated...we and we certainly weren't out-coached or out-played. These are 2 similar teams and someone had to win. And someone did...by 5 effing points. Chill out with the doom and gloom, champ.

You're right.

It was their home court, their home cooking. In a match of 2 fairly even teams the home team normally gets the benefit. We got it last year.

Coach Gillespie is a first year coach and he has it figured out with 12 new players - How long will it take our coach to figure it out?

#1 - To classify Gillespie as a first year coach is laughable. Please check the skins on the wall.

#2 - We just lost by 5 points on the road in front of 8,000+ fans, with a team of newcomers except Hogans, Holmen, Edwards, & Alzee. All of the players mentioned were role players until this season.

We should have won this game, but it is not the fault of JJ. He can not make stupid shots fall into the basket.

• Upvote 1

Rick

I'm going to venture over to Kansas message board to see if they have a clown griping about scheduling Towson to open the season. I wonder if there's a clown questioning John Calipari for scheduling Marist for their opener. I bet the clowns are really mad on the UConn message boards for scheduling Columbia.

Ohio State: really? Wright State? I'm sure Florida's opener against Jackson State will cost them down the road too. Louisville: Tennesse-Martin? You guys are in trouble.

I'm sure you get my point by now.

I think people here are less defensive about JJ and more offended by the dumb comments. If you really think us beating up on St. Gregory's had anything to do with the loss, then wow.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Roadrunner, I'm telling you now. Your not allowed to criticize a JJ coached team and have your own opinion here. The Occupy Mean Greeners here will pull out every justification known to the basketball world to explain how and why your wrong. Don't even try.

Rick

Great advice. You ought to follow it too.

• Upvote 4

I agree. This team is way to athletic to sink into a zone. Unless it is a trapping corner zone.

I'm going to venture over to Kansas message board to see if they have a clown griping about scheduling Towson to open the season. I wonder if there's a clown questioning John Calipari for scheduling Marist for their opener. I bet the clowns are really mad on the UConn message boards for scheduling Columbia.

Ohio State: really? Wright State? I'm sure Florida's opener against Jackson State will cost them down the road too. Louisville: Tennesse-Martin? You guys are in trouble.

I'm sure you get my point by now.

I think people here are less defensive about JJ and more offended by the dumb comments. If you really think us beating up on St. Gregory's had anything to do with the loss, then wow.

Those teams don't have to worry about moving up the rpi food chain. We do. And I never insinuated that us beating up on SG was why we lost this game.

Rick

That's what the St Gregary's of the world does for you.

Rick

huh?

Double huh?

Preparing your team to go up against a Billy G coached team by playing non scholarship patsies doesn't allow much time for your team to GEL.

Rick

Those teams don't have to worry about moving up the rpi food chain. We do. And I never insinuated that us beating up on SG was why we lost this game.

Rick

huh?

Edited by Censored by Laurie

Rick

We have the luxury of being quite a bit better than quite a few college basketball teams. We can afford to act like a big-time program the first game or 2 of the season and schedule someone to help us work out our kinks. If we don't have a good enough rpi, it won't be because of St. Gregs.

Roadrunner, I'm telling you now. Your not allowed to criticize a JJ coached team and have your own opinion here. The Occupy Mean Greeners here will pull out every justification known to the basketball world to explain how and why your wrong. Don't even try.

Rick

Cry, Cry, Cry. You are most certainly allowed to post whatever you want. Check it out your post is published. Don't be surprised that your statements are put to the test. No one is censoring you, however, you should expect with your minority view that some would take issue with it. Should we all just take what you say as Gospel? You wouldn't give us the same lattitude, so, man up. Don't take your ball and go home.

• Upvote 2

#1 - To classify Gillespie as a first year coach is laughable. Please check the skins on the wall.

#2 - We just lost by 5 points on the road in front of 8,000+ fans, with a team of newcomers except Hogans, Holmen, Edwards, & Alzee. All of the players mentioned were role players until this season.

We should have won this game, but it is not the fault of JJ. He can not make stupid shots fall into the basket.

No freaking way there was 8,000 people at the game

• Upvote 1