Hilltoppers Battle North Texas in Sun Belt Game of the Week

Harry

The Hilltoppers get back to Sun Belt Conference action this Saturday, making their first-ever trip to Apogee Stadium to face North Texas. WKU in in search of its first win over UNT, as the Mean Green have won each of the four all-time meetings. A victory would give the Hilltoppers six wins on the season, making them bowl eligible for the first time since becoming a full-fledged FBS member in 2009.

The game will be televised live at 6 p.m. (CST) on the Sun Belt Network, and will be available locally in Bowling Green on WKYU-PBS.

Back To Business - After stepping out of conference last Saturday to face the #1 team in the country, the Hilltoppers return to Sun Belt Conference action for the last two weeks with the goal of getting bowl eligible and possibly still winning at least a share of the league championship. WKU (5-1) sits in sole possession of second place in the league, trailing only undefeated Arkansas State (6-0). Currently, 55 teams are bowl eligible, with 22 more teams - including WKU - sitting at five wins on the season.

Read More: http://www.wkusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5400&ATCLID=205333249

This post has been promoted to an article

Of all the teams in the Sun Belt- I hate Western Kentucky the most.

I was there for the Thanksgiving Day Freezing Rain Game. The Green Brigade, Spirit Groups, and about a dozen fans were there for the start of at least 4 years of Western Kentucky domination.

I hope it continues on Saturday.

My mother and I were there for that game as well (one of the dozen).

My mother and I were there for that game as well (one of the dozen).

I was there with 2 friends...we left at half time cause we were ...ummm... cold?

I would have needed full ski gear plus a flask...make that 2 flasks... that was miserable. the worst conditions I've ever seen a game in.

I've been to snow games...-10...or so and windy up north. And this one was the worst. I guess that makes me a p... but oh well.

• Upvote 1

They say if you remember Woodstock, you weren't there. But I do remember how awful the weather was that evening, indeed the worst for a game I've ever sat through. Eventually we stopped noticing the cold and the sleet, which I guess marked the onset of hypothermic coma. But we told ourselves that since the players, coaches, Green Brigade, cheerleaders, and refs couldn't leave early, we wouldn't either.

Thank goodness we later managed to beat WKU in better weather. And will continue to do so.

• Upvote 2

Of all the teams in the Sun Belt- I hate Western Kentucky the most.

I was there for the Thanksgiving Day Freezing Rain Game. The Green Brigade, Spirit Groups, and about a dozen fans were there for the start of at least 4 years of Western Kentucky domination.

I hope it continues on Saturday.

I used to hate them, but now I love to hate them. Somehow it seems different. Also, I like the one guy from their board, "dahbeed" who posts here sometime. He's almost too realistic to post on an Internet Forum, but he has kind of a cool sense of humor.

It's tough for me to hate anybody in the sunbelt since this is the first year I seen UNT actually play any of them. That, and I don't know that I've ever met a miscreant fan from an opposing sunbelt team.

The infamous sleet bowl with WKU was one year before my time, so my only war story is the monsoon against Ohio in 2009.

As for this weekend's game, it seems that even when WKU was not yet FBS, they always gave UNT a tough time (except last year). We're 2 1/2 point dogs this weekend, so I'm hoping that the Apogee Advantage™ will take effect and get us over the hill...toppers.

I was there with 2 friends...we left at half time cause we were ...ummm... cold?

I would have needed full ski gear plus a flask...make that 2 flasks... that was miserable. the worst conditions I've ever seen a game in.

I've been to snow games...-10...or so and windy up north. And this one was the worst. I guess that makes me a p... but oh well.

Yep, I was there in full ski gear + a rain suit over that + a flask. Problem was I had 2 in my group (I drove) that came in jeans and a coat. They were soaked and frozen by halftime + our football team didn't appear to have any interest playing in that first half. So I succumbed and took them to a bar on the Square to warm up. Sorry I missed the finish, but that still ended up being one of the better gameday memories I have. Even when the team and weather stinks, it's hard for me to have a bad time on a gameday in Denton.

• Upvote 1

It's tough for me to hate anybody in the sunbelt since this is the first year I seen UNT actually play any of them. That, and I don't know that I've ever met a miscreant fan from an opposing sunbelt team.

The infamous sleet bowl with WKU was one year before my time, so my only war story is the monsoon against Ohio in 2009.

As for this weekend's game, it seems that even when WKU was not yet FBS, they always gave UNT a tough time (except last year). We're 2 1/2 point dogs this weekend, so I'm hoping that the Apogee Advantage™ will take effect and get us over the hill...toppers.

Apogee Advantage™

Nice!