Over-Reaction Once Again.....

ParksAndRecRick

You'd think that these guys were hoping for a bowl sweep in one season or something. Those are probably the ones who saw UNT's SBC champ run and never noticed that the games got closer and closer because Dickey could never keep the talent gap between UNT and the rest of the belt going. They're more than likely the same ones who expected Dodge to blow out the belt in his first season with the same crew of players recruited by Dickey, which by that point, were behind in talent to begin with.

• Upvote 3

So what type of messages are you expecting during a losing season? Sunshines and puppy dogs will be blown up your a$$ when this team wins. It's the nature of the beast we call fan message boards.

The team consistently loses, you'll see lots of negative posts and most of the fanbase on suicide watch.

The team consistently wins, and you'll see kumbayah and bubblegum posts all day long.

The day I don't see anger from fans when NT continues to lose is the day I quit coming to these boards.

• Upvote 6

I continue to be shocked by some of the football posts since the games yesterday! So, you can be shocked at this!

Most of the best Mean Green players graduated or left UNT after last season! Let's look at this....

June Jones at your favorite school in Dallas:

Year One---- 1-11 (only win was against I-AA team Texas State in close battle)

Year Two---- 8-5 (great season for SMU. Bowl victory) Non-conference wins inlcuded:

victory over I-AA S.F. Austin)

Year Three-- 7-7 (Bowl Loss)

Currently--- 5-3 (Probably Bowl Bound---maybe New Orleans)

Wow, the only difference is, y'all would have been calling for his firing after the first year.

To the member that said "all talk", regarding McCarney, you should be ashamed!

The member that called for numerous firing of coaches, you should be ashamed!

For those of you who expect this to be the best team in a very-improving SunBelt, you should be ashamed!

You have your rights to make your comments...so I decided I had the right to make mine!

For those new gomeangreen.com posters or fans,don't fall victim to the "doom and gloom" members.

However, I fully expect, "the doom and gloomers" to jump aboard the bandwagon as things get better. It is your history!

Hmmm...other than a couple of loose cannon shots and the questions regarding the handling of the QB situation (which I agree with), I think the post-game reaction has been fairly mild compared to usual. I guess a little bitchin comes with the territory after a blowout loss when you have been down for so long. On the plus side, we've all got 13 whole days to get over this thing and whip up a brand new fresh batch of green Koolaide for Troy.

• Upvote 4

Got5onit,

You really think being upset and calling a head coach who has not been at Denton less than one season "all talk" are the same?

My comments are to those calling for " a host of coaches to be fired " and/or "he is all talk". There is a difference!

Some is the talk of "dissapointed fans" the other is a talk "of the doom and gloomers" who reak over this fanboard, with unbridled negative comments!

All I know is, if we don't give Coach Mac a few years, it is a real shame. I have never seen a work ethic and desire to turn a team around more than anyone in my entire life. I am blessed each and every day to have him as our head coach. "All Talk", "Fire Assistants" is and will always be "shamful" to ParksAndRecRick in the first year at the helm.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

To be expected on this board. I find myself less and less excited to come here and discuss the intricacies of North Texas football. While I am glad the 200 ravenous fans we have are centrally located on this board, it does get frustrating reading this at times.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Got5onit,

You really think being upset and calling a head coach who has not been at Denton less than one season "all talk" are the same?

My comments are to those calling for " a host of coaches to be fired " and/or "he is all talk". There is a difference!

Some is the talk of "dissapointed fans" the other is a talk "of the doom and gloomers" who reak over this fanboard, with unbridled negative comments!

All I know is, if we don't give Coach Mac a few years, it is a real shame. I have never seen a work ethic and desire to turn a team around more than anyone in my entire life. I am blessed each and every day to have him as our head coach. "All Talk", "Fire Assistants" is and will always be "shamful" to ParksAndRecRick in the first year at the helm.

I've only seen one post calling for firings.

Anyway, I'm there with you on Coach Mac. He definitely deserves a few seasons to turn this thing around. I think he's got NT pointed in the right direction...

Fans are going to react. Crap, last week the same fans had us bowl bound. No big deal. Coach Mac isn't going anywhere because some Yahoo on a fan message board says he should be fired. Niether is Coach Bowen, Coach Nelson (dang it!!... kidding... I think) , or any other coach.

Does constantly hearing Coach Mac talk about coaching at UF and Iowa St. get old? Sure it does, so I stopped listening to the coach's show (zero info coming out of there on the team, anyway). Is that message maybe aimed at recruits and recruits parents? Maybe. Is it effective in that context? Who knows. Does it matter that I don't particularly like it? No

If you don't like the opinions, don't read them. Lord forbid any of us not think exactly like all others.

Theres a difference between being frustrated and flat out crying over the smallest things. Boo hoo...so he put in one QB over another. Maybe McNulty shows more potential. We don't know because we are not on the team. But to say it's because of McCarneys friendship with his dad is just plain pathetic.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Theres a difference between being frustrated and flat out crying over the smallest things. Boo hoo...so he put in one QB over another. Maybe McNulty shows more potential. We don't know because we are not on the team. But to say it's because of McCarneys friendship with his dad is just plain pathetic.

I don't really think the problem is his putting in one QB over another. I think it's more like why doesn't the other QB get a chance to show what he's got in a game that was clearly a blowout by the 4th quarter? I'm not really a "star" guy, but "the other QB" was a 3 star QB who happens to have a very successfull JC year in Mississippi under his belt, and was a close number two behind DT back in the Spring. What does McNulty have besides what he has shown thus far? Good practice skills I guess. But as you say, we just don't know.

Btw, we all know that the QB is CLEARLY the most important position on the field these days, so I really don't see any problem with posters questioning what is going on with that position. I'm very happy that we hired McCarney to lead us out of the wilderness, but the guy is not God or even Moses. If our last "God" taught us anything, it should be that anyone that we hire is only human.

• Upvote 6

I continue to be shocked by some of the football posts since the games yesterday! So, you can be shocked at this!

Most of the best Mean Green players graduated or left UNT after last season! Let's look at this....

June Jones at your favorite school in Dallas:

Year One---- 1-11 (only win was against I-AA team Texas State in close battle)

Year Two---- 8-5 (great season for SMU. Bowl victory) Non-conference wins inlcuded:

victory over I-AA S.F. Austin)

Year Three-- 7-7 (Bowl Loss)

Currently--- 5-3 (Probably Bowl Bound---maybe New Orleans)

Wow, the only difference is, y'all would have been calling for his firing after the first year.

To the member that said "all talk", regarding McCarney, you should be ashamed!

The member that called for numerous firing of coaches, you should be ashamed!

For those of you who expect this to be the best team in a very-improving SunBelt, you should be ashamed!

You have your rights to make your comments...so I decided I had the right to make mine!

For those new gomeangreen.com posters or fans,don't fall victim to the "doom and gloom" members.

However, I fully expect, "the doom and gloomers" to jump aboard the bandwagon as things get better. It is your history!

You da' man, Rick!

To be expected on this board. I find myself less and less excited to come here and discuss the intricacies of North Texas football. While I am glad the 200 ravenous fans we have are centrally located on this board, it does get frustrating reading this at times.

I can think of a solution...

• Upvote 1

I do think its the coaches responsibility to get these guys prepared for the game, both mentally and physically. I watched the ASU game and our players were NOT ready for this game. Put aside the QB situation, injuries, and whatnot, it is frustrating as hell to watch an uninspired team act like they just don't give a damn.

• Upvote 1

I'm just wondering. How would you (or any of the other people making similar statements...including Vito) get up in front of the current group of players and make this sound positive/supportive to them?

• Upvote 3

I'm just wondering. How would you (or any of the other people making similar statements...including Vito) get up in front of the current group of players and make this sound positive/supportive to them?

It's a horsesh*t excuse for a conference like the Sun Belt. As bad as Todd Dodge was, there is no way were are so thin we should be falling behind Arkansas State 31-0 at half. We played Houston within three at half.

These are the most experienced coaches we've had since Hayden Fry was here. I have a hard time believing they can get the team up for home games only. If so, we've hired the wrong guys.

Dan McCarney said no excuses. It was refreshing, and it sticks - no excuses. No falling behind Arkansas State 31-0.

The only thing I see that McCarney needs to get real about is his backup quarterback situation. Be like every other coach in the country and pull a kid if he isn't moving the team. For pete's sake, Texas was switching Little McCoy and Ash every other play at one point.

It is aggravating to watch games be written off the way this staff writes off games if the #1 QB is down. I don't care who does what in practice. If a guy ain't moving the ball, the ain't moving the ball. The referee and scorekeeper don't ask us what happened in practice.

If McNulty, bless his little pea-pickin' heart, ain't moving the ball, pull his ass out of there and give someone else a shot at it. The seniors on this team aren't standing around waiting to lose again just so some freshman can be groomed for 2013 or 2014. It's ridiculous.

Play to win or go home.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

If there's over reaction it just shows that there are people that care about UNT and that we do have our share of good fans. That is what fans do...deep down most if not all of us are realistic but it is our job to over react because if we don't do stuff like that expectations can never be set or demanded for a team or program.

• Upvote 2

It's a horsesh*t excuse for a conference like the Sun Belt. As bad as Todd Dodge was, there is no way were are so thin we should be falling behind Arkansas State 31-0 at half. We played Houston within three at half.

These are the most experienced coaches we've had since Hayden Fry was here. I have a hard time believing they can get the team up for home games only. If so, we've hired the wrong guys.

Dan McCarney said no excuses. It was refreshing, and it sticks - no excuses. No falling behind Arkansas State 31-0.

The only thing I see that McCarney needs to get real about is his backup quarterback situation. Be like every other coach in the country and pull a kid if he isn't moving the team. For pete's sake, Texas was switching Little McCoy and Ash every other play at one point.

It is aggravating to watch games be written off the way this staff writes off games if the #1 QB is down. I don't care who does what in practice. If a guy ain't moving the ball, the ain't moving the ball. The referee and scorekeeper don't ask us what happened in practice.

If McNulty, bless his little pea-pickin' heart, ain't moving the ball, pull his ass out of there and give someone else a shot at it. The seniors on this team aren't standing around waiting to lose again just so some freshman can be groomed for 2013 or 2014. It's ridiculous.

Play to win or go home.

Yes, it pissed me off driving all the way to Tulsa only to see us basically pack it in after the first quarter. Tulsa ain't bad, but that was no body bag game. Accepting defeat early in a game is not an attitude that I'm particularly fond of.

Yes, it pissed me off driving all the way to Tulsa only to see us basically pack it in after the first quarter. Tulsa ain't bad, but that was no body bag game. Accepting defeat early in a game is not an attitude that I'm particularly fond of.

The aggravating thing about Tulsa is that McNulty throws the second pick six on the first drive of the second half. So with over 13 minutes left in the second quarter, we're down 34-3. Is McNulty pulled? No.

McNulty stays in the game until midway through the fourth quarter. Why? It was obvious long before then that he wasn't getting the job done.

Those of us who are disappointed are disappointed because it smacks of not playing to win. Some see favoritism for a friends' son. I see choosing development over winning, and that's crap when McCarney has asked the seniors to step it up a notch this year to the degree where he's run off some of their long time teammates for not meeting his expectations.

So, which is it? Are the seniors to play their asses off because the coach really wants to win? Or, are the seniors to just sit by and take the pain because the coach has given up and now wants to "develop" a quarterback who may or may not win the starting job even next year given that Thompson is a junior.

See what the deal is here? It's more than fanbased. It's that McCarney has sold this hair on fire attitude all off season long to the players. Then, they have to sit and deal with "well, we're happy McNulty led the team to a couple of second half scores"...after not moving the ball while we fall behind 31-0.

See how that could be perceived by seniors who have dedicated themselves to McCarney based on his word?

McCarney needs to be true to his word, give no excuses, and coach every second of every game to win, if that's what he told the upperclassmen he'd do.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2

Mccarney said multiple times that he was placing a huge emphasis on winning games at home. It really looks like he is doing exactly what he said he would. This team has been underprepared for every road game. I realize that Mcnulty coming in changed both the Tulsa and ASU games, but if Chase Baine could get the job done and put us in a position to win, Mcnulty should sure as heck be able to do the same.

We will see what we get against a pretty bad Troy team, when we have two weeks to heal and prepare (and Troy doesn't). Surely the coaching staff realizes that every ounce of emphasis needs to be put on this game, because without it, any hopes of doing something in the postseason are gone. There is no reason we shouldn't expect to win the final two home games.

BEAT TROY!

EDIT: By the way, forget this 3-4 year turnaround crap. I may be in the minority, but I see no excuse to not hit 6-7 wins and be in a bowl by the end of year 2 at the latest.

Edited by Mean Green Matt