Count usout!

ntexeagle

We are going to the game at noon, have our tailgate food at the lunch hour...cool.

Then the game will be done at 7, or 8:45 if we have a bunch of those internet streaming timeouts, and we will have dinner at a nice place while we watch the Rangers.

Feel bad for those that don't have the flexibility, but I am actually a fan of this game time...hoping they schedule games in the future at that time.

Either way, we need as many people as possible to come home for the game, pre- and post-game activities, and support the school, the team and the future.

GMG

Hardcore fans don't bring the bucks.

You've obviously never been to a big-time program on game day. This is PRECISELY who brings the bucks. It's precisely what spawned the expansion of the North End Zone at UT, which requires something like a $10k donation for the chance to pay for the $110-per club level seats, which I can tell you aren't that great. It's what paid for the $100M renovation of Amon Carter. It's what funded Ford Stadium. It's what paid for Ok State's renovations.

Hard core fans ARE your bucks. We just don't have enough of them. Yet.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2

Guys....welcome to the REAL FREAKING WORLD. The point is too not only get those travelling alumn into the stadium (awesome if you are making the trek) but to get fair-weather fans (students mostly) to NOT have an excuse to miss this game. For those of you that were at the FAU game you know we CANNOT have that occur again.

The dismal FAU attendance was primarily weather-related. No storms that night and we would have had a respectable crowd.

After observing the FAU game one can see that the fairweather fans (primarily endzone seats) were not there.....but more depressing was the student section. Now what on earth produced that dismal result?

1.) Rangers Playoffs

2.) Losing to teams that the students didn't know anything about

3.) Threat of Rain (actually...this should be #2)

4.) Playing against a team noone had ever heard of (esp the freshman).

Well we can't do anything about 3 of those variables but we can do something about the 1st.

The only solution...and I mean THE. ONLY. SOLUTION. for our attendance is going to be winning. Winning at home. Winning on the road. Winning. Winning. Winning. Students living on campus and even students commuting from the Metroplex will come out in fair weather and foul weather to see us play against schools they've never heard of if we win. Sometimes I don't think some of y'all realize how many of our students are commuter students. Getting commuters to the stadium is only going to happen one way: Win. Students aren't going to drive 30+ miles to watch bad football. It's no more complicated than that and I think Coach Mac understands that.

Sometimes things come up and you don't like them but don't act like a freaking baby for a 3 hour change in kickoff time.

People make plans based on the idea that an event is going to start at a certain time. When those plans involve traveling for hours (like this thread's owner) or getting a group of people together who are scattered all over the world (like we're doing), people have every right to be upset about kickoff being changed. We made our plans according to the posted kickoff time and now we're being penalized for it. That's not cool.

I would still think this was a bad idea to change kickoff the week of the game if this was just Western Kentucky or Middle Tennessee, but it's not. It's Homecoming. It's the one time of the year a lot of folks come back here to visit old friends and kick back and enjoy the camaraderie. The only game that would be worse to do this would have been the Houston game.

We will do the best we can with what we have and we'll be in the stadium yelling for the Mean Green louder than anyone else, but the fact remains that we shouldn't have to "do the best we can" on Homecoming Weekend.

• Upvote 1

This is going to be awesome! MG Football, then out to the parking lot to do some tailgating while watching the Ranger game. That is if they aren't showing it on the big screen after the game.

I was kinda thinking along these same lines... lots of good tailgating before *and* after the game (celebrating a Mean Green victory of course!).

Is there typically any rule/regulation as to when tailgating has to stop after a game? After some games at Fouts, we would go back and hang out for maybe 30 minutes, but I don't remember seeing folks stick around much longer.

Hardcore fans don't bring the bucks. T shirt fans that come at their own convenience bring in the money. Simple as that. That's the way the big boys do it. People are acting like this kind of thing doesn't happen in college football.....it does, a lot. If we ever get on television on a regular basis then you can bet it will happen a lot.

wow

Hardcore fans don't bring the bucks. T shirt fans that come at their own convenience bring in the money. Simple as that. That's the way the big boys do it. People are acting like this kind of thing doesn't happen in college football.....it does, a lot. If we ever get on television on a regular basis then you can bet it will happen a lot.

hardcore fans kept this program afloat for years and still pay the bills. the idea that "t shirt fans" bring in the money is, as you say, simple.

I was kinda thinking along these same lines... lots of good tailgating before *and* after the game (celebrating a Mean Green victory of course!).

Is there typically any rule/regulation as to when tailgating has to stop after a game? After some games at Fouts, we would go back and hang out for maybe 30 minutes, but I don't remember seeing folks stick around much longer.

The reason people don't stick around any longer is because the games usually ended around 9 or 10. There's not a whole lot of games on aside from the west coast.

This is different. The game ends at 7 which will leave plenty of time to enjoy the weather, friends, and the rangers.

The problem is, it's homecoming. Many people who are traveling and maybe haven't been to see the new stadium are screwed if they can't leave earlier.

It's a give up move, for sure. On the ridiculous assumption that a hardcore Rangers fan is at the UNT-ULM game, you have to suppose that person will be fine missing inning number one as the UNT game winds down.

And, maybe misses inning two walking back to the car. And, maybe innings three and four driving home, depending on where in the metroplex they live.

But, this isn't the kind of fan that will be at Apogee Saturday anyway. And, for the bandwagoners - the majority of the Ranger fans - it's not like it's Game Seven. It's just the first game.

Disappointed with the give ups around here lately. It's horse poop.

Go Cardinals!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

The problem is, it's homecoming. Many people who are traveling and maybe haven't been to see the new stadium are screwed if they can't leave earlier.

It's a give up move, for sure. On the ridiculous assumption that a hardcore Rangers fan is at the UNT-ULM game, you have to suppose that person will be fine missing inning number one as the UNT game winds down.

And, maybe misses inning two walking back to the car. And, maybe innings three and four driving home, depending on where in the metroplex they live.

But, this isn't the kind of fan that will be at Apogee Saturday anyway. And, for the bandwagoners - the majority of the Ranger fans - it's not like it's Game Seven. It's just the first game.

Disappointed with the give ups around here lately. It's horse poop.

Go Cardinals!

Actually, it's not the first game. It's game 3. And, it's a big one! GO RANGERS!!!

T Shirt Fans? LOL!!! That's some funny stuff right there.

Let's see how many of our T Shirt Fans compared to our Loyal Hardcore Fans show up in November?

T Shirt Fans??? LOL!!!!!

Rick

Exactly. We don't have any. You think ut has the money it does from season ticket holders? No. It's from revenue generated by the millions of fans that don't go there. Don't pile on me because youre butt hurt about the game time.

Edited by EdwardRRooney
  • Upvote 1

Exactly. We don't have any. You think ut has the money it does from season ticket holders? No. It's from revenue generated by the millions of fans that don't go there. Don't pile on me because youre butt hurt about the game time.

You are not exactly an Albert Einstein are ya?

The Horns make their money from season ticket holders, TV contracts, conference splits and the much of their big money comes from Donors.

The Horns make their money from season ticket holders, TV contracts, conference splits and the much of their big money comes from Donors.

It's a combination of everything. Marketing merchandise is also a part of it. Reason why U of M changed their logo to "the U." They sold a lot of merchandise that way. Of course donors and season ticket holders are another big part of it. TV contracts, conference splits, bowl games, student fees (big one that isn't mentioned), etc. Anyway, it's a bit of everything, and we can't really say which one exactly brings in the MOST revenue because I am not sure we have access to any of these schools' bank accounts.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

Okay, I can admit I'm wrong. Even so, I don't understand why people are so upset with a schedule change. It's two hours. If it brings more people to the stadium then what does it hurt?

• Upvote 2

Okay, I can admit I'm wrong.

Its ok. You'll see for yourself in late November what we are talking about if at that time we are 2 and 8. It will be November, 2000' all over again consisting of those of us who paid for or tickets and parking and donations well in advance befor the summer even began, and no one else.

Rick

• Downvote 2

Okay, I can admit I'm wrong. Even so, I don't understand why people are so upset with a schedule change. It's two hours. If it brings more people to the stadium then what does it hurt?

I read through several of these grudges and agendas and tit for tats, and for the life of me I don't understand for an instant how moving the game forward can do any thing but hurt attendance. Those that go, GO! That means most everyone on here. But those it screws up are very real. No ordinary fan who had planned to skip homecoming and watch the Rangers is going to change their mind. They didn't go, "but wait I could have had a V-8? No No I meant to say a UNT game experience where I can fight to leave early to go watch the Rangers with my buds." Oh hell yes they are going to be lining up now!! It seem this just screws up all those that had earlier commitments and wanted some of the Homecoming festivities. I am going with this as the Big Pooch Screw! But even at that all you did was irritate several folks. Better to have left it alone.

Those that are forced late or tight have a better reason to skip, not even considering those that won't check game time the rest of the week.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We've had plans with the in-laws to go to the fair for the past month. They're driving in from West Texas to see us (mainly their grand-daughter) and go to the fair.

We were planning on leaving super early in the morning and leaving around 4:00, stopping back by our house to get them set up for the evening (re: free babysitting!), then driving over to the game. Hopefully we'll be there around halftime, but there's no way we can cancel our existing plans.

I'm sure there are tons of different stories out there. This must have been a tough decision for the A.D.

First off, let me say that I can't attend the game whether it is at 6:00pm or 4:00pm due to a wedding in the evening, so I want to get that out in the open before I comment.

Two weeks ago, many of you were asking for a game time change due to the possibility of the Rangers having a World Series game that night, and now many of the same are complaining that a change has been made. Two hours is not that big of a deal considering many would already be there for tailgating, etc... As another poster stated, go to the game and then have a post game watching/listening party in the parking lot. Sounds like a fun idea.

More importantly, this is what happens in "big time" football all the time. I used to work with a group of LSU fans. They would invite me down for games in Baton Rouge, and I would ask what time the game was taking place. Many, many times they said they wouldn't know until the SEC decided which game would be the afternoon televised game (2:30pm) or the evening televised game (7:00pm). Either way they were going. That's just the way it is when television is paying you big bucks.

Now what does this have to do with NT football since television dollars aren't in the equation? RV and the administration have to decide what time will attract the largest crowd. What if the earlier time results in 5,000 extra paying customers at $20 a ticket plus conservatively $20 in concessions? That is a $200,000 decision that is not difficult to make. Before you say this time change won't bring out that many more casual fans, let's remember that this is homecoming. What if Suzie Student's or Jimmy Student's parents said they would come to the game, but then Dad backs out because he wants to watch the Rangers game instead? Well, if Dad backs out, we probably also lose Mom because this is Homecoming. What about Joe Alumni that rarely comes back to campus who said he wasn't coming, but now he will since there is not a conflict with the Rangers' game? It gets exposed to a good game in a great venue with superb pre-game tailgating. Well he now decides to buy season tickets, join the Mean Green Club to secure a parking pass and joins the NT Exes so he can grab a beer in the alumni pavillion. Think about the money involved there, not counting his concessions, etc...

For those upset with the reduction in "catch up" time with old friends, classmates, alumni, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters, etc.., you now have time after the game to visit as well, probably over a beer at a local establishment watching the Rangers' win. Being a man, I can usually gather all the information I need for a sufficient "catch up session" in about 5 mintes, 10 if we are feeling patient. Just grab a beer and shoot the sh.. like you normally would on The Hill or in the parking lot.

I don't find this to be a slap in the face of the long term fans at all. I find this to be the best decision for North Texas football. When posed with the question of moving the game a few weeks ago, RV probably jumped the gun when he stated that wouldn't happen. In hindsight, he probably should have said, "We'll look into it," but hindsight is always 20/20. Unfortunately, he was bound to piss off a few fans over a decision that I believe is better for the majority and helps us have a better crowd than competing against the Rangers' game four sweep of the Cards. It's just the way it is, and RV was bound to make someone mad regardless of the decision.

I must say that the reaction of many on here is rather selfish. I know that most of us plan way in advance to ensure our attendance at these games, but we also must take a step back when something like this occurs and realize what is being done is for the best of the program, maybe not the best for me personally, but again, the best for the program.

If I could attend the game, I would have driven in on Friday night arriving around midnight allowing me all day Saturday to enjoy for the game. I know many don't have that luxury, and I probably won't as my children get older, but adjustments can be made. Even if I had to drive in Saturday and arrive at game time, I would make the trip. We have to realize as this program grows, adjustments will be made, conveniences when we were a sleepy little team minding our own business in the Southland, Big West, and Sun Belt will go away as we move up the food chain. Those that are "big time" donors giving $500 a year to the Mean Green Club, will become just another donor unless they bump that up considerably. It's just the way it is. As NT's committment to success increases, so must our's, and we must realize that decisions must be made for the betterment of the program as a whole and those decisions may not always be best for me personally. The program is much bigger than any one individual or individuals and should be treated as such.

Here's to a big Homecoming Crowd and a Mean Green win. Wish I could be there, but I will be listening.

• Upvote 6

Its ok. You'll see for yourself in late November what we are talking about if at that time we are 2 and 8. It will be November, 2000' all over again consisting of those of us who paid for or tickets and parking and donations well in advance befor the summer even began, and no one else.

Rick

So what's the difference in the long run Rick? NT made a few extra bucks off the Homecoming game they wouldn't have leaving the game time at 6:00pm. Maybe a few of those that came, come back in November to up that attendance to 13,001. Maybe moving the game time brings back an alumni to Apogee, he/she gets excited and buys season tickets for next year, becomes a donor, etc... creating a long term benefit. I understand your frustration, but there are two sides to every coin.