Waters retiring

Brett Vito

It appears as though he is simply announcing his retirement that doesn't take effect until July....

Very strange timing for this announcement. Even though it's not effective until next July what Commish announces retirement in the middle of football season? Unless you've been fired/retired aka Beebe.

• Upvote 1

In response to the article and all the talk about the Big East expanding (which we know we won't be considered for that) has the CUSA even mentioned adding UNT?

There is some speculation from people on the board but before I get a hard silly willy I want to see if there is even reason to.

No real reason to even entertain the idea yet. Purely message board talk. But if message board talk gives you a hard silly willy why don't you visit the I'm just sayin' thread in the HOF forum and enjoy.

It appears as though he is simply announcing his retirement that doesn't take effect until July....

He could be a lame-duck figurehead until then, with someone else actually making the decisions.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there is reason to miss him... not after the new TV contract. Didn't like that one bit.

I do think though that in times like these, if he is retiring he needs to step aside asap for someone new, so people will know with whom they will be dealing with in the long term. Otherwise people will be: ...hmmm do i want to be in/join a conference where the word i get from this comish will not mean much to the person who will be comish next year.

also I'd like to hear a bit more agressive stance from the belt... they really just seem to sit and wait calmly for someone to come and poach a team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bensen already filled out his application.

If you can't lure them, join them?

I do think WW missed opportunities. One was not expanding the Belt when the WAC was sinking. We should have easily gone to 12 teams and 2 divisions and saved the schools some travel $$.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Vito tiptoes around it, but WW is leaving for a simple reason;

why stick around and watch all your hard work get undone when there is a free for all from SBC schools to move into the few CUSA spots that open up.

WW built the Sun Belt into a real conference by bringing in football. He help bring in direct and secondary bowl tie-ins, and worked to create higher payouts and more home-at-home setups for OOC games. WW earned his keep, so there is no reason to bash the guy as he goes out the door.

• Upvote 4