Garrett gilbert

EagleD

I went to several UT home games last year; it was uncanny how their home schedule did not conflict with NT's. Gilbert was very similar to the poor quarterback play we have seen over the last several years. He was just too slow to decide and act and he wasn't accurate under pressure. Sound familiar? It also showed that no matter who else you have, if you don't have a good QB, winning won't happen much and blowouts do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He would be immensly better than anything we have here and he could start. But I dont think he will consider UNT. Maybe we can get a qb when Fran replaces McCarney in 4 years.

I'd hate to be your kid.

"Hey Dad, I'm now captain of my little league team!"

"Are you winning yet?"

"No? I just got the job."

"Then you're useless. Quit and let someone else do it."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He would be immensly better than anything we have here and he could start. But I dont think he will consider UNT. Maybe we can get a qb when Fran replaces McCarney in 4 years.

This has to be the 1st post I've read blatantly calling for a Mac firing & replacement. Little surprised it came so early. We're not even through SBC play yet! :P

Offsides people! Offsides! I was only kidding. I would be interested in Gilbert, but I dont know how good he is or how could our qbs could be if put in better situations. Hope that fran joke got the blood flowing early everyone.

he would be better off transfering to a 1aa school. he just is not that good, although june jones could probably make him a lot better.

Looks like we have two pretty good sophomores and a freshman who has apparently shown signs of greatness, so I suspect Gilbert would be more of a disruption than anything. Not impressed with his talent at this level anyway. On a side note, who have we had transfer in from a four year school in recent years that has done anything for us? I'm probably missing someone, but it seems like it has been a long time.

• Upvote 1

My take is, if Gilbert failed so miserably with the 4 star talent around him at tu, what can he accomplish with lesser talent around him like say at....SMUt?

Just sayin' :rock:

That argument never works. The four star talent was facing four star talent.

Who is to say one way or another when SMU kids are lining up against comparable (SMU-like) talent.

Maybe the same results. Maybe not.

• Upvote 1

hey, the kid may just need a change of scenery. It could happen here at the home of the Mean green as well. With all the work these kids put in and with all the pressure they are under to perform, you can't blame anyone for wanting to go where they may have a better chance of seeing playing time. It sort of looks like that is over for Gilbert at UT. I'd be happy to have him enroll here at UNT, but UN has three rather young QB's developing right now, so UNT may not be the best place for Gilbert at the moment. The kid had great numbers in HS and was recruited by some of the top tier universities in the country, so he does have some talent and abilities. Sometimes it just takes a change of scenery...seems to me that a young QB named Aikman transferred out of OU for the west coast, right? Kid had a pretty decent career as I recall.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That argument never works. The four star talent was facing four star talent.

Who is to say one way or another when SMU kids are lining up against comparable (SMU-like) talent.

Maybe the same results. Maybe not.

Soooo, 4 star talent (aledgedly), surrounded by 2 star talent, facing 2 star talent = W?

Im not sure that's correct.

Have you ever even seen this "premier" (LOL) QB play post high school? High school star rankings are very overrated. NFL rosters will attest to that.

UT knows how to evaluate QBs, and even their bench QBs are as good or better than any we have...not talking down about our QBs.. it's just how it is.. Things just did not work out for this young man in that specific situation. Do you think he suddenly lost of his footballs skills? This is would be an incredible signing if the UNT coaches pulled it off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UT knows how to evaluate QBs, and even their bench QBs are as good or better than any we have...not talking down about our QBs.. it's just how it is.. Things just did not work out for this young man in that specific situation. Do you think he suddenly lost of his footballs skills? This is would be an incredible signing if the UNT coaches pulled it off.

A player can be a bust anywhere.

People here are critical of Mac's assessment of McNulty. Has anyone seen Garrett play and question his being benched in Austin?

I hope I am wrong, and I haven't seen him play, but it sounds like Garrett doesn't have "it."

I'm tired of talking tangibles, stats and stars. Scott Hall didn't have much to speak of but he had "it" and all he did was win.