E-mail Newy Scruggs

Mean Green Matt

Newy took the time to mention the MWC Offensive player of the week from TCU, the CUSA co-defensive player of the week from SMU, but couldn't even take the time to mention Breelan Chancellors record setting night that earned him the Sun Belt Special teams player of the week honor.

Here is Newy's email: newy.scruggs@nbcuni.com.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 7

Newy took the time to mention the MWC Offensive player of the week from TCU, the CUSA co-defensive player of the week from SMU, but couldn't even take the time to mention Breelan Chancellors record setting night that earned him the Sun Belt Special teams player of the week honor.

Sent. The DFW media outlet is pathetic regarding it's balanced sports coverage. It seems they love nothing but to pound UNT with negativity.

JRock

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. Play a somebody...

2. Beat a somebody...

3. Fill Apogee often (which happens because of 1 & 2)

...then the DFW "major sports market" media will be standing in line at the Apogee Stadium elevator to get to their special designated media location inside our end zone to end zone Press Box.....maybe even Newey.

Scheduling schools into Apogee like Texas Southern U (albeit a great university but just not in the right NCAA division) is not a good start in doing this and yes, Social Security is a Ponzie Scheme! :blink:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

It's not really a big deal you know.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. Play a somebody...

2. Beat a somebody...

3. Fill Apogee often (which happens because of 1 & 2)

...then the DFW "major sports market" media will be standing in line at the Apogee Stadium elevator to get to their special designated media location inside our end zone to end zone Press Box.....maybe even Newey.

Scheduling schools into Apogee like Texas Southern U (albeit a great university but just not in the right NCAA division) is not a good start in doing this and yes, Social Security is a Ponzie Scheme! :blink:

Totally agree.....but.....your post is way too short. +1

Did they mentioned teh respective team scores?

Let's tell 100K apathetic alumni we lost 48-23 and see if Brelan's yardage gets them all excited to rejoin the bandwagon.

it is ridiculous to think that we don't deserve local media coverage because our scheduling is poor or that we do, in fact, lose. isn't there an old adage, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."?

i guess we all should wait to show up at games or talk up the mean green program until they win, huh?!

that's FUBAR.

i don't think its unfair to expect or simply ask him to mention a record setting night.

email sent.

• Upvote 4

it is ridiculous to think that we don't deserve local media coverage because our scheduling is poor or that we do, in fact, lose. isn't there an old adage, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."?

i guess we all should wait to show up at games or talk up the mean green program until they win, huh?!

that's FUBAR.

i don't think its unfair to expect or simply ask him to mention a record setting night.

email sent.

Hate me, love me, just don't ignore me.

• Upvote 1

that's FUBAR.

email sent.

For every fan I know that goes to UNT games, I can find five UNT alumns that have disconnected from the program because of our history. That's been discussed before...

What are we talking about when it comes to media coverage: feeding the egos of everyone who shows up, or telling the rest of the people on the fence why they should/shouldn't come?

Maybe you think this should be equal opportunity, but no one else does. The media is going to cover what interests the fans. And TCU/SMU are happy to hog as much as they can get. And dont' think for a moment that UTA wouldn't love to start stealing our thunder when their program gets rolling.

It's not that I disagree with the notion, it's just that I'm not about to complain or write a letter when 1) we have bigger problems anyways and, 2) it means we hid the elephant in the room from our resident DFW poachers.

Edited by greenminer

For every fan I know that goes to UNT games, I can find five UNT alumns that have disconnected from the program because of our history. That's been discussed before...

i am certainly not arguing/debating this point or trying to beat a dead horse. but if they are disconnected with UNT because of it's sports history, then all the more reason to highlight an award, especially in an ever increasingly competitive conference.

is NBC news reporting on stories that bring ratings? sure, no doubt and more people will stay teased for a TCU or SMU story... as they should. all the original poster was asking was a mention of an award... some credit where credit is earned. we aren't asking for Dan Patrick to highlight Brelan; we are asking Newey Scruggs.

I received this response back from Newy, himself:

"TCU and SMU sent out separate emails on their POW kids. UNT did not.

So fire off an email to your school to ask why they didn't do what those schools did. The Southland conference sent one out as well.

Sounds like you are asking me to care more than they do at NT.

Newy"

Oh boohoo...my interpretation based on knowing how this process works...Newy had to waddle his fat ass over to get the notes and summaries that went to every sports desk in the area while the others probably laced their release with the delicious scent of ham and put his name front and center on the email.

If getting the information was important, why didn't he mention the Southland?

• Upvote 1

I received this response back from Newy, himself:

"TCU and SMU sent out separate emails on their POW kids. UNT did not.

So fire off an email to your school to ask why they didn't do what those schools did. The Southland conference sent one out as well.

Sounds like you are asking me to care more than they do at NT.

Newy"

Journalism at its finest, "they didn't report the news directly to me, so I didn't know it happened."

Journalism at its finest, "they didn't report the news directly to me, so I didn't know it happened."

Why would he know about player of the week awards? They aren't exactly newsworthy so kudos to SMU and TCU for getting them on the air.

Anyways, I could careless about this because it's an award for a game that we got hammered in.

Why would he know about player of the week awards? They aren't exactly newsworthy so kudos to SMU and TCU for getting them on the air.

Anyways, I could careless about this because it's an award for a game that we got hammered in.

Agree. There's a nuance here -- he reported on the news sent directly under his fat face, not what was sent to his office. If the SID actually did not send materials to KXAS and their sports department, I will gladly sit through 4 hours of Beer Man Clockwork Orange-style.

I agree that getting the awards placed as newsworthy is a stretch and didn't care to comment on the thread, but King Hippo going all bitchy on the program for letting *him* down is just not right.

• Upvote 1

Agree. There's a nuance here -- he reported on the news sent directly under his fat face, not what was sent to his office. If the SID actually did not send materials to KXAS and their sports department, I will gladly sit through 4 hours of Beer Man Clockwork Orange-style.

I agree that getting the awards placed as newsworthy is a stretch and didn't care to comment on the thread, but King Hippo going all bitchy on the program for letting *him* down is just not right.

Just wait for him to laugh and punch him in the mouth. The pants will fall and you don't stop punching until he goes down.

• Upvote 3

Maybe we should hold those emails off for another season or two. I would rather not see newy or whoever is doing the coverage make some smug remark about how we lost... Again. In two years when we are better and they aren't reporting on us, well,

then we go to the station and throw bricks through their windows.

What are we talking about when it comes to media coverage: feeding the egos of everyone who shows up, or telling the rest of the people on the fence why they should/shouldn't come?

Maybe you think this should be equal opportunity, but no one else does. The media is going to cover what interests the fans. And TCU/SMU are happy to hog as much as they can get. And dont' think for a moment that UTA wouldn't love to start stealing our thunder when their program gets rolling.

It's not that I disagree with the notion, it's just that I'm not about to complain or write a letter when 1) we have bigger problems anyways and, 2) it means we hid the elephant in the room from our resident DFW poachers.

There will never be a time when UTA joins SMU or TCU as DFW media darlings. The other two are SWC royalty--until that mindset dies out, we have no chance, nor does UTA, of even getting a smidge of coverage. The DMN and FWST are full of resepctive alums from both of the DFW private schools and they play teams that fans and alums have heard of, while we don't.

For proof of this, think about the past few years when UNT and UTA have played each other in basketball. Wihtout a doubt, both are much better at hoops than either SMU or TCU right now. Yet when we play, our games don't even get any video highlights, and usually don't even get the score mentioned on local TV. Meanwhile, on the same night, SMU's home game against some Prairie View-like team gets video coverage and interviews with Doherty. Its just the mountain that we have to climb, due to our location, apathy, and lack of administrative support for athletics.