Ohhh....What a Day

Censored by Laurie

It was a great day indeed...and it was made even better by getting to actually say hello and meet the one and only CBL! It was great that you were able to make the game. I know it was probably a beat down getting back and forth, but it had to be worth it for a true member of the Mean Green nation. Agree, that the alumni side needs a bit of "pepping up" at times, but also understand that we have had eons to get get used to sleeping through most games. Heck, at least we were at those games for years and years, bought tickets and donated to the program even though it was pretty dismal on the field and stepped up to donate to the new stadium fund. Right now, folks may need to excuse us a bit for our "show me some wins" attitude, but many have earned that right through years and years of frustration. I will say, I think the alumni side was louder than in previous years, so it is definitely a start. If you have followed UNT for 40+ years as I have (and as many others on the alumni side have), you have experienced a good bit of frustration and the last few years have not helped. Heck, many of us "old folks" have been following and donating to this program longer than some of you "young guns" have even been alive. Give us a bit of slack...a few more beers...and we'll get there.

You could see that UNT is on the mend and heading in the right direction by watching the game Saturday. It was the GREATEST day to be a member of the Mean green Nation...have I mentioned the co-eds in shorts and cowboy boots????? I had some Houston folks commenting on that aspect of the game day atmosphere!

Glad you could make it...most happy to have gotten to meet you.

Edit...what? Who dared? :lol: Show yourself...I dare you! :sword:

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did I mention I had a great Saturday ? More imortantly, my wife and NT Alum had a great Saturday.

I got to the Alumni Pavillioin and visited with old friends and met some new ones. I got my Apogee coin and then walked around to take in whole experience in. We got to the "experience" at 2:00 and did in fact have a difficult time finding our friends. There were so many OTHER friends tailgating. My favorite memory was the fans all wearing GREEN that kept coming and coming across the bridge. At one point, I mentioned that I thought it was the same people just making a circle around me. The students made the day. No question. It was the students.

I just can't wait to show Indiana some North Texas hospitality.

Apogee Stadium. The finest in America. GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Seconded, on all accounts. This is a legit D-1 operation, now. Cannot wait to see what McCarney can do, with a little more time on the job.

The alumni side was a dreadful bore, so I'll be getting tix on the other side of the stadium next time. Other than that, I've no complaints.

I have on good authority the skinny, long-haired country singer's lovely girlfriend- who herself holds a pair of degrees from Satan's Austin Empire- kept going on and on about what a terrific game day experience UNT is and how much fun she had. And she loved the uniforms. So there's that.

• Upvote 1

Seconded, on all accounts. This is a legit D-1 operation, now. Cannot wait to see what McCarney can do, with a little more time on the job.

The alumni side was a dreadful bore, so I'll be getting tix on the other side of the stadium next time. Other than that, I've no complaints.

I have on good authority the skinny, long-haired country singer's lovely girlfriend- who herself holds a pair of degrees from Satan's Austin Empire- kept going on and on about what a terrific game day experience UNT is and how much fun she had. And she loved the uniforms. So there's that.

I thought that might be the one and only Eagle1855. I committed to cooking and helping out with our family's tailgate with a friend/alum that hasn't been back in years, so I will make it up to the Hill next time. I hope to make it back in town for the Indiana game but will have to pull some strings to make that happen.

Might I recommend you download his "album" "Old Denton Roads" for your collection. You will not be disappointed.

I brought a buddy who has no affiliation with NT. He did 2 years at Austin and then finished up at Sam Houston. He's seen the extreme on both sides of college football. His words to me after wandering the Hill, drinking beer for a few hours and then watching the game from the club: "dude, anytime you want to bring me to a game I'll come AND buy all the beer."

I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement for the new place.

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 1

And yes, it was good to put face to name...KRAM1, UNT90 and MeanGreenTexan, it twas my pleasure. MGT, apologies for my initial confusion...I don't travel with my computer so I didn't see your reply (and as such your name) until this morning. That, and I like to drink.

Plus..... Beerman was as awesome as ever!!

You know, if you really break down this statement, it's 100% accurate.

• Upvote 1

And yes, it was good to put face to name...KRAM1, UNT90 and MeanGreenTexan, it twas my pleasure. MGT, apologies for my initial confusion...I don't travel with my computer so I didn't see your reply (and as such your name) until this morning. That, and I like to drink.

Wish I could have sat down and chatted... Lesson learned: 9 month olds won't make it past the 3rd quarter of a 6pm kickoff without letting everyone know she's not happy. We'll have a babysitter for the IU game.

Hats off to everyone involved and responsible for Saturday's scene. Legit. Finally. That was exactly what a Division I football experience should feel like and well worth flying out after work Friday and back in time for work Monday morning.

Some observations...

- This team will still win 4 or 5 games this season. I'll probably make some game observations in some of the existing threads, but I was very impressed with the team in the first half against a decidedly more talented team...especially considering the debacle in Miami. Obviously we're gonna get smacked next weekend, but I like our chances against a now 0-2 Indiana, and maybe even Tulsa, fresh off back-to-back games with top 10 teams.

- The Alumni Pavilion is great. Once the landscaping is complete, I would be hard-pressed to find a lovelier venue outside of a college football stadium to sit back and have a beer than on the pavilion's patio.

- Fabulous tailgate scene over next to the stadium. Props to the Greeks...and I imagine the actual Greek...for setting up not just a big time culinary scene, but also a few adding stages for some live tunes. That skinny, long-haired country singer with the lovely blonde was a nice treat.

- Once (ok...it's still "if") this program gets the wheels back on the rails, and if we can pull a few big name opponents to help sell that place out, the Hill opposite the alumni side will be a great place to watch a sold out football game.

- I can't believe people would actually complain about parking. We rolled up about 1:00, parked for free in a half-full lot opposite the Super Pit...fixed a cocktail and grabbed the 12-pack of Modelo and had an easy 15-20 minute walk over to the stadium, with a brief stop off at a friend's tailgate next to Fouts. If that walk is too much for anyone under about 70 you may want to consider a switch to a bit healthier life-style. Or simply toughen up.

- Lastly, and most importantly...for the love of God, alumni side...please stand up at the very least on third down. If you can't get up for this game I don't have much faith that you'll get up for future games. We now have a decided home-field advantage...crowd noise forced false starts and timeouts from the Houston offense in the first half and Summelin even said the atmosphere had them out of sorts in the first half.

The most frustrating part of the third quarter was not being picked apart by a Heisman candidate quarterback, rather it was the 5 or 6 key third downs while the game was still very much in doubt that somehow only managed about an 1/8 of the upper bowl to stand up and make noise. I don't expect everyone to imbibedly eschew decorum, jump up and down and yell until hoarse like I'm willing to, however I do expect you to stand up, clap, maybe give a nice outside voice "let's go D." It doesn't take much...if you stand, people around you will start to stand...it's like doing the wave, only less gay. The team was begging you...and the response I saw when I looked back at the crowd behind me from the front of 206 was near apathy. This can't continue.

Worse, those sitting on their hands were also some of the ones bitching about scheme or execution or play-calling as if they were football experts...they're unwilling to do their part, but still feel the right to be so critical.

Our fan-base has a long way to go to match the quality of our facilities now.

Why do the bud/miller lite tents now charge for beer?

I also ventured over to the student section... so much more energy there. I think some were confused on how to cheer during a football game (having to be prompted for third down, other interesting questions I heard) but if alumni who arent on this board can ever figure out how to cheer.... what a great homefield advantage we would have.

Props to the Greek for dominating the hill tailgating... I rue the day when the hill, as well as the softball lot across the street, and heck maybe fouts are packed.

My boss and his father couldn't stop talking about the great atmosphere. Now all we need is a couple wins.

Great points all but one thing about the game itself that really stood out to me was the vast improvement in scheme this coaching staff has made in such a short time. Our defense was running more sets than I can ever remember seeing. Blitzes, fake blitz drop 8, stunts, mixing up coverages, we even had that amoeba defense where the guys all stand and move around so the line doesn't know who to block.. The offense had the pistol, QB under center, two backs, one back, option. We threw a lot at them. We have a big time staff. If they can recruit as well as they can scheme, we are going to be no fun to play against and soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great points all but one thing about the game itself that really stood out to me was the vast improvement in scheme this coaching staff has made in such a short time. Our defense was running more sets than I can ever remember seeing. Blitzes, fake blitz drop 8, stunts, mixing up coverages, we even had that amoeba defense where the guys all stand and move around so the line doesn't know who to block.. The offense had the pistol, QB under center, two backs, one back, option. We threw a lot at them. We have a big time staff. If they can recruit as well as they can scheme, we are going to be no fun to play against and soon.

wow, don't know why you got the -1, i agree with you. i think the defense especially played well with great play calls the first half. simply too tired to execute in the 2nd.

+1