Post Game Thread

UNTJarhead0802

OK, I have to say it... there were moments in that first half surrounded by that awesome environment that actually felt magical.

Looking across the field to that student section (and all around the endzone and wing area) to see a sea of green waving rally towels and making noise was really surreal. We followed the cash parking signs and were routed past the back-side of fouts at 4:55pm, back around to the other side of fouts only to discover that no cash parking was left. We eventually found a lot off Maple, but did not arrive at our seats until 6:30pm, a full 90 minutes later! However we did experience a nice benefit in that we entered on the student side (in a huge crowd of also late arrivals) and had to walk the entire way around the stadium to get to our section. But since we were able to walk in the aisle in between the lower and upper decks the entire way, we were treated to an unbelievable first impression of the stadium and the game from about every possible angle, and enjoyed great sights and sounds throughout the ordeal, including witnessing the first touchdown. (& although I hated missing the kickoff, I understand parking and routes will need to be worked out over time- I just loved seeing that many people in green, trying to get parked, walking great distances, even seeing a few people holding up signs looking for tickets. (for a UNT game!!!)

The fact that our defense made several big stops of that high-powered offense was great to see. For example, giving them the ball on our own 16 and holding them to 3 plays and a field goal, also making the 4th down stand around midfield, are a couple that come to mind. I realize this was a talented opponent, with a 5th year QB(or 6th year? I think in addition to the injury year, he may also have red-shirted) has a strong arm, and was in Heisman contention just 2 years ago... so I know what our guys were up against. I think we ran on pure adrenaline and emotion for the first 2 quarters. My only complaint, aside from the very long traffic jam we encountered attempting to park, was that I had the misfortune of having to listen to a fellow Mean Green "fan" sitting behind me the entire game (please God, don't let him be a season ticket holder)make continuous negative comments from the very beginning all the way through to the end. Even when he was trying to cheer it was done with sarcastic undertones: "This will be the only lead we will have all year", and "Can we PLEASE make a first down?" etc. I am by nature, very non-confrontational, but if I am lucky enough to arrive earlier next time & have a few cold ones prior to kickoff, I don't think I will be as patient!

Had a blast at the game tonight. The new stadium is first class all the way. The great Scott Hall & Patrick Cobbs were sitting near me.

3 players really stuck out to me tonight:Chancellor, Zach Orr, and Will Wright.

What's the word on Jeremy Phillips?

Was Pat Boone lip syching?

We had a great time too. My wife and I parked in the red lot between unt90grad and thor. Super easy experience. Tons of room on the red lot too. We have club level seats and I wish we were down below to experience the concessions. The beers are $5 and mixed drinks are $7. Pretty steep. I truly wish we just had the old pavilion where all MGC members could be together no tree where your seats are. I look forward o more tailgating and some victories.

• Upvote 1

We had a great time too. My wife and I parked in the red lot between unt90grad and thor. Super easy experience. Tons of room on the red lot too. We have club level seats and I wish we were down below to experience the concessions. The beers are $5 and mixed drinks are $7. Pretty steep. I truly wish we just had the old pavilion where all MGC members could be together no tree where your seats are. I look forward o more tailgating and some victories.

• Upvote 1

Loved every aspect of the game except the loss, but I saw much improvement over the FIU game. Thompson looked much better and the O-line was much improved in their pass blocking. Considering we were starting to R-freshmen on the left side of the line and a true freshman at right guard, I think our future is very bright at this position. Every team is going to key on Dunbar and make someone else beat us, and other than the poor interception, Thompson played much better, other than the interception early, which ended up not hurting us. I hope we aren't burning McNulty's redshirt for a few snaps a game.

The defense played much better and got consistent pressure on Keenum early, but UH upped their pace and I think we just wore down as the game went on. Improved depth will help with this in the next few years. Wright was all over the field and the DB's played well, but can't be expected to cover UH's receivers forever. Holding UH to a field goal after Chancellor's muff was huge.

Atterberry had a great game punting, and if we continue to see this type of improvement week to week, we will be fine after next week.

My only real complaint was the concession lines. I missed both scoring drives in the first half standing in extremely slow moving lines. Many people were frustrated, but pushed it off as first game bugs that need to be corrected. Patience won't continue if improvements aren't made.

I didn't notice the issue with the screen in front of the scoreboard. The audio was a whipping though.

My biggest complaint was the poor officiating. We get flagged for a late hit on Keenum on third down of their first drive when our player was pushed into him by one from Houston, yet no flag was thrown when Dunbar was hit out of bounds in the same area, no flag for a UH player taking a swing at one of our's later in the game in front of a ref, no flag for running into a Atterberry when they claim the punt was tipped, and no flag or even a warning when their O-lineman couldn't keep his helmet on.

Overall, it was a great night. Houston is an extremely good and experienced team and we looked much better. If we continue to improve at this rate, we will be fine. Continue to support our team with crowds like this every game, be patient as Mac rebuilds and we have a very bright future ahead of us.

My biggest complaint was the poor officiating. We get flagged for a late hit on Keenum on third down of their first drive when our player was pushed into him by one from Houston, yet no flag was thrown when Dunbar was hit out of bounds in the same area, no flag for a UH player taking a swing at one of our's later in the game in front of a ref, no flag for running into a Atterberry when they claim the punt was tipped, and no flag or even a warning when their O-lineman couldn't keep his helmet on.

This is not getting talked about enough. Ridiculous officiating from the Female Line judge. I mean Dunbar slammed to the ground well after the whistle, the atterberry no tip. Some terrible spots. Houston doesn't need any help

This is not getting talked about enough. Ridiculous officiating from the Female Line judge. I mean Dunbar slammed to the ground well after the whistle, the atterberry no tip. Some terrible spots. Houston doesn't need any help

Yeah, you can't punt a ball 45 yards off of a tip/block. It just wont happen. Horrible call indeed.

1. Andrew McNulty showed great poise for a true freshman. He brings a different dimension to the position. I think this will payoff more over the next few weeks as teams will now have film of him and will realize he is a decent threat to run. I think teams will have to plan for 2 quarterbacks and it will make in game adjustments more difficult for our opponents.

2. The oline did a fantastic job in pass blocking. They need to make some improvements in the run blocking but they will get there. Houston had to resort to the blitz to get any pressure.

3. The Dline did not get any consistent push. This is what made the snacks look bad most of the night. Coach Mac will need to make this a priority in recruiting. Keenum had days to throw and wasn't really hurried very often.

4. The crowd was electric at times. The stadium really holds the noise well.

5. Disappointed the Houston didnt bring their band. That always makes a game more enjoyable IMHO.

I think the big problem tonight- 1) We threw everything we had at the first half and it showed. 2) We just didn't have the horses to keep up with a more talented and experienced Houston team. There's a reason they're probably going to end up well into the top 20 this year.

I saw a lot of improvement today. I think there's a lot to look forward to throughout the season. I just hope that it wasn't the first game phenomenan and we have empty seats throughout the rest of the year. I saw some bad tackling, some stupid mistakes, blown coverage, but admittedly our defense leaves much to be desired.

We can go ahead and take what we can from next week, but I feel pretty good going into the Indiana game. I think we're setting up nicely for conference play, and if we can maintain this kind of a home crowd, it'll be a pretty huge improvement from last year.

Much better job of coaching. Still problems with Mac's plans to play freshmen instead of playing experience. He didn't have to burn McNaulty's redshirt while he has Osborne. He's intent upon playing the guys he recruited. I stick with my original assessment...he's taking a pass on this year. Might pay off in 2 years, but he has a few good upper classmen sitting that have been loyal and hardworking and deserve to play. Somebody always get's screwed when a new coach comes in. Switching Johnson and Tomilinson worked well. Johnson get's off the ball much better on the left side.

The big piece that'll be missing for the rest of the season is Jeremy Phillips. He broke his thumb and tore up his knee from a cheap shot. Surgery on the thumb and MRI to tell him how much time he'll miss. Tough loss of the leading tackler.

Edited by jimbob

Let's not forget some of the encroachment/neutral zone calls that were missed and somehow became false starts/delay of game penalties. More than a few occasions of UH on UNT player contact and UH player crossing the LOS while they were trying to show blitz.

That officiating was terrible. It was some amateur hour officiating from that crew last night.

Much better job of coaching. Still problems with Mac's plans to play freshmen instead of playing experience. He didn't have to burn McNaulty's redshirt while he has Osborne. He's intent upon playing the guys he recruited. I stick with my original assessment...he's taking a pass on this year. Might pay off in 2 years, but he has a few good upper classmen sitting that have been loyal and hardworking and deserve to play. Somebody always get's screwed when a new coach comes in. Switching Johnson and Tomilinson worked well. Johnson get's off the ball much better on the left side.

The big piece that'll be missing for the rest of the season is Jeremy Phillips. He broke his thumb and tore up his knee from a cheap shot. Surgery on the thumb and MRI to tell him how much time he'll miss. Tough loss of the leading tackler.

Agree Coach Mac and Chico have a 5th year running QB on the roster. Chase Baine showed that he has some wheels when he started two games last year. (80 yards against ARK St). I thought he was moved to the slot to get (Chase Tebow) some reps... yet he is just being used on special teams. At least Breece Johnson if finally getting some reps.

All this crap about the defense playing awful....The defense did not turn the ball over three times in the 1ST QUARTER. After being inside the 20yrd line twice early, we should have been up 14-0 in the first 5mins of the game. The reason we were almost tied at the half was because of the defense. Third quarter, UH made adjustments and burnt our secondary. Look, our Dline played ok, we just faced a very good QB that will definitely play at the next level. He passed from the pocked and when pressured he passed on the run...

Our offense has to do a better job converting plays and giving our defense an opportunity to rest..

Let's not forget some of the encroachment/neutral zone calls that were missed and somehow became false starts/delay of game penalties. More than a few occasions of UH on UNT player contact and UH player crossing the LOS while they were trying to show blitz.

That officiating was terrible. It was some amateur hour officiating from that crew last night.

Don't forget the no call at the end where a UH player was walking on the field while we were at the opposite end. Officials didn't cause us to lose this game, but I really think it would have been a bit closer had the play calling been at least neutral.