Oklahoma debating conference options

UNTflyer

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma president David Boren says multiple conferences have shown interest in the Sooners recently and he expects to decide whether to leave the Big 12 or not within the next three weeks.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6923495/oklahoma-sooners-president-david-boren-says-school-interest-multiple-conferences

• Upvote 1

Here's hoping for them to leave. We need chaos

I'm not sure that helps us. If the Big 12 falls apart, teams like Tech, Baylor, OK State, and Missouri are going to be prime candidates for conferences like C-USA and MWC to expand with some historically big time schools. Sure, some of them will go Big East or Big 10+2 or even Pac-12+2, but there simply aren't enough teams to go around with these super conferences forming. The BCS bottom feeders may end up taking spots in mid-major conferences.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure that helps us. If the Big 12 falls apart, teams like Tech, Baylor, OK State, and Missouri are going to be prime candidates for conferences like C-USA and MWC to expand with some historically big time schools. Sure, some of them will go Big East or Big 10+2 or even Pac-12+2, but there simply aren't enough teams to go around with these super conferences forming. The BCS bottom feeders may end up taking spots in mid-major conferences.

If OU leaves, OK State is going with them. The same thing can be said with UT and Tech and I wouldn't be surprised if they all went together to the Pac-whatever. There's no way Mizzou, Kansas, and Kansas St. end up in a non-BCS conference. Look for them to go to the Big 10 or Big East.

Hopefully, things get so messed up that the remaining D-1 schools in Texas besides UT, A&M, Tech, and TCU decide to form their own conference and add a few other schools like Tulsa, Southern Miss, or New Mexico. The more likely scenario is we just get picked up by the MWC or C-USA/

UNT can't really lose in a major change up. Sure, Super Conferences might form, but in the grand scheme of things we'll still be in the Sun Belt and on the outside looking in along with about 60 other schools. Sounds about how things are right now if you ask me.

Baylor? Seriously? I know they beat TCU and all but... really? Baylor?

• Downvote 2

I don't think it makes any difference. We are a joke or unknown at best. Triple what we pay for a coach and the same result: a team completely unprepared. You can either motivate and train or not. That was not promising. Promise is the only thing we would have to offer a conference.

I'm pissed too....but it was ONE GAME. NT will be fine. Look at all the players out there we had with little or NO experience (including the QB which did not help Dunbar at all). I've put this in a couple places, but I still think we get to six wins.

Plus, the conferences are going to look at $$$ and no necessarily the strength of the football team. We have a huge alumni base that will start to care if we get into a better conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm pissed too....but it was ONE GAME. NT will be fine. Look at all the players out there we had with little or NO experience (including the QB which did not help Dunbar at all). I've put this in a couple places, but I still think we get to six wins.

Plus, the conferences are going to look at $$ and no necessarily the strength of the football team. We have a huge alumni base that will start to care if we get into a better conference win.

Fixed that for you.

Right now, no one wants us (besides an even worse WAC). Period. And they won't until we show we can compete.

• Upvote 1

Who would have thought A&M would leave without Texas? A year ago nobody would have believed it could happen.

They almost did last year and A&M's president is on record saying they wish they would have. UT does not want to go alone. They'll try to bring Tech with them so they'll have a travel partner and at least keep one rivalry intact.

So will the PAC12 be forced to take OSU as well? I wonder what the shorthorns do now? Go independent? I don't see any conference taking UT with that Whore'n network to compete with their conference network. Aint gonna happen...

The Longhorn Network is a potentially complicating factor but Pac-12 officials believe the parties could work through that.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6927204/pac-16-oklahoma-sooners-texas-longhorns-being-discussed-source-says