MLB - Orr, January

OLB - F. Johnson, Wright or Herron

CB - Hill, Jackson

CB - Ford, Warner

FS - Downing, McCord

SS - Shorter, Graham

This post has been promoted to an article

Thoughts:

What a find Aaron Fortenberry has been. Kid has played tight end, center, guard...and now goes in to this year as our starting right tackle.

I'm not terribly concerned about the skill positions...I think we've enough weapons in the passing game to keep defenses somewhat honest in stacking up against the run.

SOOOOOO happy to see Brandon McCoy listed as a starter at end. I think a rotation of Obi and Akpunku on the outside will benefit both in terms generating a consistant pass rush.

Interesting seeing Alexander Lincoln cracking the 2-deep over Frank Gaines and Aaron Bellezin...hopefully it speaks more to his development than a lack of production from the returnees.

I wonder if D'Waylon Cook is fully healthy. His not making the 2-deep is worrisome...and the move of last year's starting corner D'Leon McCord to safety speaks more to Hilbert Jackson and Freddie Warner's talent than it does to a need at safety.

• Upvote 1

A couple of quick impressions:

- Looks like they are going with more possession types of receivers and I had heard Olawaze looked good in 2-a-days but was surprised to see him out there.

- It appears that Y'Barbo was a solid sign for us last year and clearly Lemon was this year for both of them to earn starting spots in the O-Line.

- They split up Tomlinson (left tackle) and Fortenberry (right tackle) to provide a mix of experience and youth on both sides of the line. Boy, Fortenberry may turn out to be a major prize for us given that I believe he originally walked on after an injury in high school cooled some other programs off.

- Brandon McCoy evidently proved his salt to Mac. Back in the spring Mac indicated he had a long way to go and he must have gotten there. It also tells me that they want a true strong side defensive end to help defend against the run. Having AK-47 and Obi on the same side keeps those guys fresh and limits the run exposure. FIU (and everyone else) will still likely pound it against them to take advantage of the size mismatch but at least its just one side as opposed to two.

- Lincoln may be a real prize at defensive end for us.

- Good to see SMU transfer Julian Herron show up on the depth chart at the OLB spot. He may be the best athlete on the team and we need his speed on the field.

- What can you say about Ryan Boutwell? He is technically undersized at 6-3, 261 however I keep hearing about his quickness, speed and smarts. If Cantly can play to his potential and Boutwell makes plays it would be a huge lift for the program because both will be around for a couple years. I'm really interested in evaluating their performance against a stout FIU line Thursday night.

- The secondary has a chance to be really good IF there is a pass rush. That's a big IF. A healthy Shorter, Downing, Ford and Hill could be the best group we have had in awhile. Downing and Shorter are physical players, Ford has great speed and Hill can be a good all around player. Keep an eye out for Freddie Warner, cause the first time FIU hits us down the field I bet he's coming in.

- Names that I was surprised NOT to see somewhere in the two deep: DaWaylon Cook, Kerry Swarn, Aaron Bellazin, Terrell Brooks, Derek Akunne and Brandon Byrd. I'm betting we will end up seeing these guys show up on the participation reports though.

GMG!

I know we'll still see a ton of him but I was a little surprised by Outlaw over Stradford. Sure wish he'd do something with all that speed.

Wonder if Cook may have been injured in the top secret practice sessions?

Does the coaches show start tonight? I've heard yes and no.

Edited by Green P1

Starter: Royce Hill

Starter: Steven Ford

2: Freddie Warner

2: D'Leon McCord

3/4 is pretty good. Thoughts on Jackson over McCord?

Starter: Brandon McCoy

Starter: KC Obi

2: Brandon Akpunku

2: Daryl Mason

3: Aaron Bellazin

Thoughts on Lincoln listed behind McCoy?

Starter: Jeremy Phillips

Starter: Zach Orr

Starter: Forlando Johnson

2: Mike Stojkovic

2: Sean January

2: Will Wright

3: Derek Akunne

You were practically dead-on here. Props.

Starter Outside: Chris Bynes

Starter Inside: Willie Taylor

Starter Inside: Brelan Chancellor

Starter Outside: Mike Outlaw

2 Outside: Jamize Olawale

2 Inside: Chase Baine

2 Outside: Breece Johnson

3 Outside: Tyler Stradford

3 Inside: Jeremy Brown

Only 3 starting position to fill. Did you forget we had a TE, cl_, or shall I say Coach Dodge? B)

Starter: Derek Thompson

2: Brent Osborn

3: Cooper Jones

I don't think anyone could have foreseen what McNulty has done.

Tackles:

Starter: Antonio Johnson

Starter: Matt Tomlinson

2: Ayodele Adepipe

2: Grant Shaw

Guards

Starter: Aaron Fortenberry

Starter: Mason Y'Barbo

2: Coleman Feeley

2: Cyril Lemon/ Travis Ellard

Center

Starter: JJ Johnson

2: Nic Summerfield

Lemon cracked the starting lineup. Very hard to ever see a true frosh coming into college and starting in the trenches. I don't think anyone expected that from him. Other than that, we all knew the coaches might shift guys around on the line (for example, Fontenberry)

Starter: Lance Dunbar

2: James Hamilton

3: Brandin Byrd

RBs were all pretty much locked up.

UBack

Starter: Daniel Prior

TE

Starter: Andrew Power

2: Drew Miller

Where do you think Prior fits in all this?

Power is beastly. We all knew that. He could be the best TE we have seen in decades? But he still has to prove it come gameday. We had a great one during the Belt title years.

A couple of quick impressions:

- The secondary has a chance to be really good IF there is a pass rush. That's a big IF. A healthy Shorter, Downing, Ford and Hill could be the best group we have had in awhile. Downing and Shorter are physical players, Ford has great speed and Hill can be a good all around player. Keep an eye out for Freddie Warner, cause the first time FIU hits us down the field I bet he's coming in.

Downing really really came on at the end of last year, BTW. Anyone: if you have a chance, watch the KSU game (available on the ESPN3 archives) and tell me he isn't the real deal.

Glad to see a guy stepping up like he has.

Edited by greenminer

Coaches show tonight...YES!

OK, but let's not forget my adopted player...OUR STARTING DEEP SNAPPER.....drum roll please....TROY KOKJOHN! I always wish they would announce the special teams as well although I know many of the players on the special teams are sort of "fluid" from week to week, but we do have some regulars...like punter, place kicker, holder & deep snapper. These guys are "starters" or "first teamers" as well....at least in my book. "I love me some special teams". It has been sort of a tough love the last few years, but I am thinking this year our special teams will make a positive difference in the outcome of some close games.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 5

3/4 is pretty good. Thoughts on Jackson over McCord?

I'm fine with Jackson over McCord.

Thoughts on Lincoln listed behind McCoy?

Call me a liar if you want, but I swear I meant to put Lincoln instead of Mason. I knew it was a freshman, just got the wrong name.

You were practically dead-on here. Props.

Thank you.

Only 3 starting position to fill. Did you forget we had a TE, cl_, or shall I say Coach Dodge? B)

LOL I covered Tight End in a separate post.

I don't think anyone could have foreseen what McNulty has done.

Yeah, I didn't even think he was going to play QB.

Lemon cracked the starting lineup. Very hard to ever see a true frosh coming into college and starting in the trenches. I don't think anyone expected that from him. Other than that, we all knew the coaches might shift guys around on the line (for example, Fontenberry)

Yeah, I did this one before 2-a-days. Had no idea a freshman would make that big of an impact, but I'm okay with that, because I would have been terrified if Antonio or Ayo were playing tackle.

RBs were all pretty much locked up.

Where do you think Prior fits in all this?

Power is beastly. We all knew that. He could be the best TE we have seen in decades? But he still has to prove it come gameday. We had a great one during the Belt title years.

Prior will be on the field plenty, so don't worry about that. He's going to be used as a blocker more than anything and he'll be fine. As for Power, I'm anxious to see what Canales does with him.

QB - Thompson, Osborn

TB - Dunbar, Hamilton

OWR - Outlaw, Stradford

OWR - Bynes, Olawale

IWR - Taylor, Chancellor

TE - Power, Miller

LT - Tomlinson, Johnson

LG - Y'barbo, Feeley

C - Johnson, Summerfield

RG - Lemon, Adedipe

RT - Fortenberry, Bean

DE - McCoy, Lincoln

DT - Cantly, White

DT - Boutwell, Abbe

DE - Akpunku OR Obi

OLB - Phillips, Stojkovic

MLB - Orr, January

OLB - F. Johnson, Wright or Herron

CB - Hill, Jackson

CB - Ford, Warner

FS - Downing, McCord

SS - Shorter, Graham

This post has been promoted to an article

Is this the posted two deep? I'm making the assumption it is, but I haven't been able to find the two-deep anywhere.

Coaches show tonight...YES!

OK, but let's not forget my adopted player...OUR STARTING DEEP SNAPPER.....drum roll please....TROY KOKJOHN! I always wish they would announce the special teams as well although I know many of the players on the special teams are sort of "fluid" from week to week, but we do have some regulars...like punter, place kicker, holder & deep snapper. These guys are "starters" or "first teamers" as well....at least in my book. "I love me some special teams". It has been sort of a tough love the last few years, but I am thinking this year our special teams will make a positive difference in the outcome of some close games.

This is also in the game notes, Bynes and Chancelor are Kick returners and Chancelor is the Punt returner.