Russia Tops USA U19 79 - 74

MeanMag

FIBA Stats

The difference in this one was all beyond the 3 point line. Not surprising when you look at the exhibition losses to Lithuania. The international game has some sharpshooters. If you aren't prepared to keep pace or at the very least make one, it's an obvious loss.

I know there's another game left, but that's a disappointing way to close out the run.

On a UNT note, Tony Mitchell will seem to soften the loss of Odufuwa from last season. His rebounding, blocking and defensive intensity appears to be consistent. His Defensive ability is going to be important as this young team puts things together offensively. Hogans + Mitchell clogging the middle... Really, Really looking forward to next year.

FIBA Stats

The difference in this one was all beyond the 3 point line. Not surprising when you look at the exhibition losses to Lithuania. The international game has some sharpshooters. If you aren't prepared to keep pace or at the very least make one, it's an obvious loss.

I know there's another game left, but that's a disappointing way to close out the run.

On a UNT note, Tony Mitchell will seem to soften the loss of Odufuwa from last season. His rebounding, blocking and defensive intensity appears to be consistent. His Defensive ability is going to be important as this young team puts things together offensively. Hogans + Mitchell clogging the middle... Really, Really looking forward to next year.

Mitchel will be playing the three and holmen the four with hogans at the five. Unless we rub zone defensively mitchel won't be in the post a lot. As of now at least....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Mitchel will be playing the three and holmen the four with hogans at the five. Unless we rub zone defensively mitchel won't be in the post a lot. As of now at least....

I'm okay with that too. I don't know if putting Mitchell at the 3 will keep him off the boards. He seems to have a knack for rebounds.

Europe is getting really good in basketball. That talent gap is closing fast especially when it comes to the amateur levels. It sucks but there's no shame in losing to one of these countries.

And unfortunately our kids don't have the luxury to play together very long which definitely doesn't help.

I'm okay with that too. I don't know if putting Mitchell at the 3 will keep him off the boards. He seems to have a knack for rebounds.

Very true, it will just be a little less likely then if he was a the pf. Still 6'9" better be getting rebounds haha

• Upvote 1

So you're saying after splitting time at the 4/5 next to Florida's Patric Young and Illinois's Meyers Leonard, Mitchell will play the wing in favor of an under-sized, aggressive rebounder in Hogans and a skinny 6'8" kid who thinks he's a 2-guard in Holmen in the post?

You wonder why people question your basketball analysis.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So you're saying after splitting time at the 4/5 next to Florida's Patric Young and Illinois's Meyers Leonard, Mitchell will play the wing in favor of an under-sized, aggressive rebounder in Hogans and a skinny 6'8" kid who thinks he's a 2-guard in Holmen in the post?

You wonder why people question your basketball analysis.

I could see Mitchell moving around a lot, but I have to agree that he looks efficient at the 4/5. I haven't seen much of Mitchell, but I've seen enough of Holmen to think that last year defensively, he came up short. Holmen could be getting better and bigger this off-season for all we know. And, for all we know Mitchell could be more comfortable at the 3. I have no doubt that Jones will play him where he has the best shot at making the NBA.

I could see Mitchell moving around a lot, but I have to agree that he looks efficient at the 4/5. I haven't seen much of Mitchell, but I've seen enough of Holmen to think that last year defensively, he came up short. Holmen could be getting better and bigger this off-season for all we know. And, for all we know Mitchell could be more comfortable at the 3. I have no doubt that Jones will play him where he has the best shot at making the NBA.

Not sure on the NBA statement, I think JJ will use Mitchell how he most benefits UNT next season...but I do agree that Mitchell, and most of this roster, will play a variety of positions. This will be a very versatile roster...I'd venture to say that only Trey Norris will see time at one position, point guard.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, if I understand the format and Mean Green Matt's posts correctly, Team USA can no longer win Gold.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: Or any medal for that matter.

Small_7USA_16.jpg

Recap

The USA goes into the fifth place bracket now....if we win the next one, we play in the fifth place game...if we lose the next one we play in the seventh place game. Two games left either way, but for the USA, this loss is a little bit embarassing.

Mitchell looks exactly like what this team seems to need the most, a very good rebounder and shot blocker. As far as the pros go, I am not sure developing into a good rebounder with an inside game is not a lot more valuable than trying to be another big man who wants to shoot from outside.

Assuming that JJ is going to put Mitchell at the three and have Hogans, Edwards and Holmen handle the post is plain crazy. He will play one of the inside positions and occasionally drift out ala Tremial to take a three. NT has a boat load of players who can play the three and only one Hogans that has showed anything on the inside. Comparing Mitchell to any recent NT player, I hope is off center. Odufuwa was a good player who made second team all Belt one year, comparing him to a player rated the twelfth best high school player in the USA is I hope foolish. Mitchell is playing against the best in the world in his age group and on a per minute basis putting up some great stats.

As an aside, Holmen is not skinny.

Another big man shooting from the outside? Lol he's 6'8" 215...that's not a big man in the NBA(it's Rudy Gay, who Tony reminds me of)...he is a 3 on offense and he'll play the 3 and 4 on defense...if you wanna know why he played down low in the FIBA games, you have to realize that we had one center(young) and one other PF...the team was full of guards, so he couldn't get time at the 3. Also, FIBA is just a completely different kind of game. The starting center for team USA last year was Lamar Odom. Their style of play(shorter 3 point line, wider lane) is more suited to shooters than interior play.

Another big man shooting from the outside? Lol he's 6'8" 215...that's not a big man in the NBA(it's Rudy Gay, who Tony reminds me of)...he is a 3 on offense and he'll play the 3 and 4 on defense...if you wanna know why he played down low in the FIBA games, you have to realize that we had one center(young) and one other PF...the team was full of guards, so he couldn't get time at the 3. Also, FIBA is just a completely different kind of game. The starting center for team USA last year was Lamar Odom. Their style of play(shorter 3 point line, wider lane) is more suited to shooters than interior play.

This is why I don't understand why team USA wasn't stacked with guards who could hit a 3 pointer. It seemed this was the M.O. of our team thru out this run.

How big was Dennis Rodman? There are any number of pro players that play primarily inside at 6'8 or 6'9. Mitchell's outside shoot is ok but was not even at the HS level his strength. He is very quick and agile for a man of his size and that is why he is so highly rated. If you think JJ is going to have his best rebounder playing a Thompson like three, I think you are mistaken. JJ's job is winning at NT not developing pro players. If he has a good outside shot, I'm sure he will get opportunities. NT now has Holmen, Robinson, Stojlijovik (surely misspelled), Edwards and now MItchell all at least 6'7 that rather shoot the three than play under the basket. Something has got to give, is NT going to play Franklin and J. Williams inside to be sure that all our bigs get to throw up a few threes.

6'8" isn't the problem. 215 is. There isn't a post in the league that small. The offense is gonna revolve around Tony Mitchell's strengths, whether that be in the post or from the outside. I heard we're putting in the dribble drive(Kentucky's offense). On defense, he'll be more of a weakside shot blocker/rebounder than a defensive anchor because he's far more mobile than all of our bigs.