Darius Carey Dismissed

I just read my copy of Dave Campbell yesterday, and Carey talked about being a leader this season. This is not how an All-Conference WR should lead. It's not going to be a good day around my house. Who is going to step up and fill this large void? After Dunbar, Carey was our biggest playmaker on offense. Does Chris Bynes move into this spot?

Let us not forget that being a student athlete it is a privilage and not a right.

I stand behind Coach. Set the tone early. If he's wiling to dismiss our 2nd most effective offensive weapon, then no one is immune.

While it worries me on many levels, imagine how hard the decision for Coach Mac must have been, which makes me respect him even more.

Unfortunate.

• Upvote 2

Let us not forget that being a student athlete it is a privilage and not a right.

I stand behind Coach. Set the tone early. If he's wiling to dismiss our 2nd most effective offensive weapon, then no one is immune.

While it worries me on many levels, imagine how hard the decision for Coach Mac must have been, which makes me respect him even more.

Unfortunate.

Unfortunate, but a clear and welcome statement that Coach Mc is not going to play favorites. I feel sad for Darius. He is a very good athlete and I hope he can turn things around.

I am surprised at how often it comes up in a coach's first year with a new program that he is put in a position where he has to either dismiss or discipline a star/popular player from the previous regime...

I am all for a new coach putting his foot down in disciplinary instances and taking the hard line...

Hopefully Darius gets it together and starts new somewhere else...

Unfortunate.

I'm angry, but not at coach Mac. I'm sure he didn't dismiss Carey for helping old ladies across the street. It's just a bad situation, and not something I expected from Carey. The kid could have been a legend at North Texas. Just plan sad.

I don't want to speculate, but whatever Carey did, must have been pretty bad for Mac to skip the suspension penalty and go straight to dismissal.

Edited by Side Show Joe

It's not unusual for a coach to make an example out of someone to show the rest of the team that he is serious about how he wants things done. The only thing that surprises me is that this show of "resolve" by coach Mac took place during the summer. Usually it's during, or at the end of, spring football. In checking the roster...

http://www.meangreensports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=1800&SPID=562&SPSID=9053

...I noticed at least one glaring absence. In the Texas Football coverage, Michael Outlaw is listed as one of the starters. He doesn't appear on the official roster. Also, according to the roster in TX Football, the next player behind Carey is Breece Johnson. I thought Johnson had graduated.

Tyler Stafford is listed as another starter with Bynes as his backup. IMHO that will change if Bynes checks in this fall fully recovered from his injury. Bynes is MUCH better than Stafford....especially when it comes to the most important issue.....consistently catching the ball.

I predict that Brelan Chancellor will get into the lineup.

Another possibility would be for the ever versatile Chase Baine to move back to WR where he once played. However, I like him as Thompson's backup.....followed by Dodson.

Edited by SilverEagle

Anyone know if this might be grade-related? At the Plano Caravan, McCarney mentioned that there were 40 when he arrived with GPAs of less than 2.0, but that 37 had pulled there grades up in the spring. He said the other three were awaiting grades. Maybe this is one of the other three.

Look, we didn't lose a scholarship this year in the ADP, AARP, APR or whatever it is...but, at 925, we were mighty close. If anything, Todd Dodge was not a bad character guy. But, I think maybe morale got pretty low on the team last year and that probably carried over into the classrooms.

Personally, I hope it's grades because I'd hate for it to be legal thing that could hurt him down the road. He's young enough to still make up for grade things.

Also, grade things aren't nearly as much of a hit on a program as legal things. Yes, grade things are bad. But, I'd bet you today that Southern Cal and Ohio State in a heartbeat would trade their current situations brought on by outside the classroom things for grade things.

Another possibility would be for the ever versatile Chase Baine to move back to WR where he once played. However, I like him as Thompson's backup.....followed by Dodson.

Do you just not like Brett Osborn?

Or, did you just forget we brought him in? He's challenging for the starting job, and if he's not the starter will certainly be the backup.

• Upvote 2

It's not unusual for a coach to make an example out of someone to show the rest of the team that he is serious about how he wants things done. The only thing that surprises me is that this show of "resolve" by coach Mac took place during the summer. Usually it's during, or at the end of, spring football. In checking the roster...

http://www.meangreensports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=1800&SPID=562&SPSID=9053

...I noticed at least one glaring absence. In the Texas Football coverage, Michael Outlaw is listed as one of the starters. He doesn't appear on the official roster. Also, according to the roster in TX Football, the next player behind Carey is Breece Johnson. I thought Johnson had graduated.

Tyler Stafford is listed as another starter with Bynes as his backup. IMHO that will change if Bynes checks in this fall fully recovered from his injury. Bynes is MUCH better than Stafford....especially when it comes to the most important issue.....consistently catching the ball.

Will Teagarden(sp?) factor into this new scenerio?

Anyone know if this might be grade-related? At the Plano Caravan, McCarney mentioned that there were 40 when he arrived with GPAs of less than 2.0, but that 37 had pulled there grades up in the spring. He said the other three were awaiting grades. Maybe this is one of the other three.

Really? 40 below 2.0??? No wonder McCarney talked about how bad things were grade wise. You may be right that the upheaval during the football season allowed guys to slip in the classroom.

If it is grades then hopefully Carey can straighten things out and come back next season.

Chancellor will definitely have to step up and be in the 2 deep. I'm sure Osborn will be the backup this season, so Baine can move back to WR and help with the depth issue.