Let Me Get This Straight......

DeepGreen

The bottom line is we must continue to beat this drum. If we get 76 at the next one then great. But we cannot have an event every 8 months or few years and expect to keep momentum rolling. Frequency is the key and we must get in peoples faces about UNT and the Mean Green every single day.

I went to the FIU site to check out their gear and now I get FIU promotional emails almost every 10 days. Promoting a new shirt, a new cap, their baseball gear, their new tailgating glasses. Frequency frequency even at the cost of making people sick. Our program has been under-marketed for the 25 years I have been following our great and poor teams.

So let's not moan about a tragic turnout. Make people sick talking up the Mean Green, recruiting them to get season tickets, planning the tailgate against Houston...Get to the next one and make a difference. We are all so incredibly powerful! e4

GMG

I like to read the whining on this board about our "terrible" marketing, and then watch posters act surprised when attendance is minimal.

theresajokeintheresomewhere.

I'd be interested to see the true reaction of board members if 30,000 check wielding fans really did start showing up to every home game. Something tells me they'd find it threatening and would complain that it's ruining tradition.

• Upvote 7

NO excuses for such a lousy turn out. But no one to blame either. It just proves that there are very few (in relation to other state schools) alumni who care about this program. McCarney can change that. But it's going to take some time.

Joe Green's appearance alone should've brought in 200.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

But no one to blame either.

LOL! Yeah, there never is! Amazing!

Here's an outside the box suggestion. Invite EVERYONE, not just the Mean Green Club????????????? I would even have gone so far as invite the DFW Iowa State Alumni Association as well. There are a lot of them displace here who never get to get back home and you never know how many who truly loved DMac would be interested in season tickets.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

LOL! Yeah, no one to blame?

Here's an outside the box suggestion. Invite EVERYONE, not just the Mean Green Club????????????? I would even have gone so far as invite the DFW Iowa State Alumni Association as well. There are a lot of them displace here who never get to get back home and you never know how many who truly loved DMac would be interested?

Rick

Rick is right....they continually harped on inviting your neighbors to games....and everyone that you could. When I wrote to Marketing to ask if they had invited any of the media and tv stations I got zero response. This event was portrayed as a Mean Green Club event even though it wasn't and that in itself is a failure. I was there at 10 minutes before and there were 3 guests in the room including me. That number did pick up a little bit but there is no excuse for why we didn't have more than 300 show.

No Facebook Events

No Press Releases

No TV Station Presence

No reaching out to regular alumni

= noone shows to the event

This may be tacky because it involves real people's jobs but seriously.....we have over 90k alum in the area. Why are they not the ones that are hired the passionately represent our school's marketing department? Nobody.. and I do mean nobody.. will care about and represent this school as well as our own diehard alum would. I am not saying that the others feel that this job is just a paycheck but seriously.....we keep slipping.

On a positive note I was very glad that the room wasn't packed so that I could more easily get pictures taken and memorabilia signed!

Nothing in the Dallas area newspaper promoting this event? No TV coverage? Not even a 1 minute spot during the TV sports segment on the coaches and Mr. Greene? I see the problem as the AD relying on email blitzes only to get the message/ad out to the public. Do they have email addresses for all 90,000 DFW alumni? Doubt it. So, use the other media that's availiable.

• Upvote 1

I think just inviting the Mean Green Club was not the best idea. I haven't been able to make any of these things because they are on weekdays at 6 pm and I commute from Fort Worth about an hour to work and get off after 5:30. As much as I would like to go to one, there is no chance for me to make one. What is the membership of the Mean Green Club? I just joined a few months ago, but I didn't think that there was over 1,000 members. So basically they are having multiple events for an target audience of less than 1,000 people? Perhaps the goal was to get MGC members a more intimate forum with the coaches and not have a huge turnout, which in that case I would say they have done a great job.

• Upvote 1

I think just inviting the Mean Green Club was not the best idea. I haven't been able to make any of these things because they are on weekdays at 6 pm and I commute from Fort Worth about an hour to work and get off after 5:30. As much as I would like to go to one, there is no chance for me to make one. What is the membership of the Mean Green Club? I just joined a few months ago, but I didn't think that there was over 1,000 members. So basically they are having multiple events for an target audience of less than 1,000 people? Perhaps the goal was to get MGC members a more intimate forum with the coaches and not have a huge turnout, which in that case I would say they have done a great job.

Yeah,

I thought this was a perk for being in the Mean Green Club. It appeared to be targeted at the Mean Green Club.

Glick1980,

There's a stop in Ft. Worth at the Stockyards next Wed. starting at 6:00. Sounds like you could make that one if you wanted to!

The 6 o'clock thing is a hassle to some. But, really, if it's 6 to 8, there is still time to drop by. I'm sure there will be more of us from Denton and Collin County (Frisco east to Allen, etc.) at the Plano event.

This is a good event, but building enthusiasm for it doesn't come overnight. My relatives from Oklahoma note that the OU caravan that hits Dallas these days now costs $30 per adult and $15 per child. Before Stoops was hired and turned around the program, they were free.

Give McCarney and his staff some time to build this thing into a winner. Winners draw. Plus, we haven't been doing this thing long enough for people to anticipate it every year. I'd say just be happy they are doing it now.

The only thing they are doing wrong, currently, is the helmets - and, they may yet get that right as well.

• Upvote 2

Yeah,

I thought this was a perk for being in the Mean Green Club. It appeared to be targeted at the Mean Green Club.

Glick1980,

There's a stop in Ft. Worth at the Stockyards next Wed. starting at 6:00. Sounds like you could make that one if you wanted to!

I will be in San Antonio for a conference that week....And even then I don't get make it to For Worth until about 6:30 every night as I work in Highland Village. Oh well, I hope the rest have good turn outs. I think I should have tried to make the Denton one, that was my mistake! I think if they were from 7-9 it would have been better, the metroplex is so spread out and alot of people commute to work.

• Upvote 1

Who knows, maybe the event was designed to be an intimate experience for Mean Green Club members as a perk and selling tool for the Mean Green Club.

It definitely wasn't that, no one said boo about it.

They started promoting this on FB a little, but you had to have "liked" one of the UNT sports pages to see it on your news feed. I think they wanted it to be intimate, but it was a little too intimate.

i don't know exactly what the membership of mean greem club is , but RICK is right. it is too small of a target audience, and besides, you are preaching to the choir. we need to invite "all interested parties" to expand our fan base. a large number of longhorn fans never went to THE UNIVERSITY, yet support them as if they did. JOE GREENE by himself should be a good draw. we need to think outside the box.

• Upvote 2