Virginia Commonwealth/butler

drex

So good to see VCU and Butler putting it in the faces of the 'big boys.' The ongoing humiliation being delt out by VCU and Butler is for all the four for ones or home only games dictated by the 'big boys.' It's also for the screwed up television coverage for the year and the 'big boys' continuing efforts to make it a 'members only club' subset of the NCAA. Hope VCU or Butler win the whole thing.

Yeah, so much for the BS belittling term known as "Mid-Major." Butler and VCU are more like "Major-Majors." Too bad they aren't setup for a final matchup against each other, but at least we're guaranteed to have one of them in the final. Hope it's VCU, because I actually took a Summer school class there when I spent a Summer working construction with a buddy in Richmond. Guess that means I "kinda" have a team in the Final Four for the first time, but let's hope that the next Cinderella will be from Denton.

So good to see VCU and Butler putting it in the faces of the 'big boys.' The ongoing humiliation being delt out by VCU and Butler is for all the four for ones or home only games dictated by the 'big boys.' It's also for the screwed up television coverage for the year and the 'big boys' continuing efforts to make it a 'members only club' subset of the NCAA. Hope VCU or Butler win the whole thing.

If Butler finds a way to win it all prepare for sportscasters to start declaring that they're not a "little guy" anymore. Cant have the public thinking a David and not a Goliath is king.

Makes it even sweeter that VCU has beaten USC (Pac10), Goergetown (Big East), Purdue (Big Ten), Florida St (ACC), and now Kansas (Big12-2). 5 of the Big 6 conferences. Maybe they can take out Kentuky in the final for a clean sweep.

It just means that USC, Georgetown, Purdue, Fla. St., Kansas, and Kentucky will no longer be scheduling "The Little Sisters of the Poor" anymore. :rolleyes:

This has been a great tournament so far! Great to see both VCU and Butler in the semi-finals.

As a child growing up in Norfolk, I remember VCU was then known as Richmond Professional Institute. While they must have played basketball, I do not remember them making any sort of noise at all. Their campus has pretty much taken over downtown Richmond and I see they have have an enrollment of 32K. Hardly a "little" school.

U of Richmond has quite a bit to be proud of as well. They have high academic standards and a whole lot of money!

Finally, I'm glad to see the Butler coach refuses to acknowledge this "mid-major" nonsense. I wish more schools, including our own, did the same.

• Upvote 1

This is bad for college basketball. Sure, the upsets are fun on the first weekend but the majority (myself included) want to see the big boys fight on the final weekend. I'd at least like to see a couple pro prospects playing on the big stage and I'm sorry but there aren't any on the side of the bracket you guys are celebrating.

• Downvote 14

This is bad for college basketball. Sure, the upsets are fun on the first weekend but the majority (myself included) want to see the big boys fight on the final weekend. I'd at least like to see a couple pro prospects playing on the big stage and I'm sorry but there aren't any on the side of the bracket you guys are celebrating.

Not your best work.

• Upvote 5

If the UK/UConn game were played at the same time as the VCU/Butler game I'm pretty certain most everyone would tune into the UConn game. I know we're supposed to cheer for the little guys but if you are honest with yourself everyone likes the dynasty over parody.

Do they? I nearly always root against teams winning multiple championships in a short time frame...unless they're MY team.

• Upvote 4

It just means that USC, Georgetown, Purdue, Fla. St., Kansas, and Kentucky will no longer be scheduling "The Little Sisters of the Poor" anymore. :rolleyes:

Well, they didn't have a choice, considering this was the route that VCU has taken in the NCAA tournament to date.

If the UK/UConn game were played at the same time as the VCU/Butler game I'm pretty certain most everyone would tune into the UConn game. I know we're supposed to cheer for the little guys but if you are honest with yourself everyone likes the dynasty over parody.

No disrespect, but I could not possibly disagree with you more. Seeing the same laundry that I don't care about spoiling the same fanbases year after year is just a waste of time. this year and last year I am actually interested.... if it is Kansas, Kentucky, unc, duke, or whatever, then so what. Seeing a truly happy and not an entitled fanbase win adds to the magic of the title game.

• Upvote 1

Butler had the #9 player overall in last yr's NBA draft class.

VCU had the #15 player in last yrs NBA draft class.

I believe the majority of fans, especially fans like us, from a non-aq school, love the NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament for the exact reason of seeing a George Mason (2006), or Butler (2010) or even 2 "mid-majors" have a shot at it. And you're big boys, have been getting their tale's whipped by these other guys this entire tourney, NBA players and all. I want to see the best teams battle it out, I want close games, I want passionate play. That's what we've seen and what we'll see in the final game as well.

• Upvote 1

Butler had the #9 player overall in last yr's NBA draft class.

VCU had the #15 player in last yrs NBA draft class.

I believe the majority of fans, especially fans like us, from a non-aq school, love the NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament for the exact reason of seeing a George Mason (2006), or Butler (2010) or even 2 "mid-majors" have a shot at it. And you're big boys, have been getting their tale's whipped by these other guys this entire tourney, NBA players and all. I want to see the best teams battle it out, I want close games, I want passionate play. That's what we've seen and what we'll see in the final game as well.

I think most of us would rather the NBA players stick around for 3-4 years and then watch the big dogs dominate again. You can't tell me that George Mason/Butler going to the final four is because they are so much better than the mid-majors were in the 90s. What happened was the big boys are playing with inexperienced talent and in a tournament setting can perform unpredictably. So, the level of basketball being played is so low that the mid-major has a shot to win games. That's not fun for me.

• Downvote 2

Couldn't disagree with you more. I just wish VCU and Butler could play in the final. I hate UConn and am not a fan of Calipari/Kentucky, so their demise will be much anticipated.

So, the level of basketball being played is so low that the mid-major has a shot to win games. That's not fun for me.

A had so much fun watching my high school football team win all the time. We rocked! Then when our players couldn't hang around, maybe they moved to Southlake, and we couldn't compete any more, it was boring!

Losing sucks! This just ain't the way it's supposed to be! This couldn't possibly be what every one else likes.

Granted it's an unscientific poll, but ESPN's question of which semifinal are you looking forward to most -- Butler/VCU is running away with it.

A had so much fun watching my high school football team win all the time. We rocked! Then when our players couldn't hang around, maybe they moved to Southlake, and we couldn't compete any more, it was boring!

Losing sucks! This just ain't the way it's supposed to be! This couldn't possibly be what every one else likes.

I don't get it.

Normally, I agree with everything Eppy says, but in this threat i disagree with everything he is saying. IMO the only people who want "goliath" to win either went to a "goliath" school or they are the guys who use the "I hate college basketball because it's an amateur sport" argument. I think that everyone else that went to an non-Major school is pulling for VCU and then Butler.

I also think college basketball allows for these situations simply because it's a tournament format in which late survival depends more on momentum and stamina. In my experiences, when you get up against the wall (like Kansas was) you begin to forget technique and play instinctively and sporatically, thus forgetting the technique that got you to the top spot.

You put these 'goliaths' on a neutral court with neutral refs and all of sudden you see the real depth of talent of college basketball in the United States. "You little guys come to my town, play in my gym, use my refs and go home with your tail whipped'--that is the attitude of the 'goliaths' of the world. Complicet in this rigged affair is television, too. Go VCU and Butler. Yeah, I'm bitter.

This is laughable at best.

You're telling me that these Butler/George Mason/VCU teams would've consistently played into the second and third weekend in the 90s? That's laughable to me. If the big boys are playing NBA caliber Juniors and Seniors as opposed to Freshmen and Sophomores there would be less upsets. Of this I am sure.

Edited by eppy4life