Spring Game

ValleyBoy

Calling all Mean Green Fans, ValleyBoy needs your help. Kids are out of school the week of April 10-15th for spring break. 12 hour drive to Denton from ValleyBoy land. Guess where ValleyBoy would like to be on Saturday the 16th. You go it Denton for the spring game. The problem is that the boss (you got it the wife) will not buy a 12 hour one way drive just for a in her words "a dumb old football game". It has got to be something good so that I can sell her on it so that ValleyBoy can make the trip.

I need your help

Any and all sugestions would be appricated. Kids are 16/17 with one being Special needs that loves football as long as there is a band. Wife does not like Fun Parks such as 6 Flags or having to walk long distances.

Edited by ValleyBoy
  • Upvote 2

You could get a new wife?

Had her for 25 years. Trade in cost would be to high, so might as well keep her. :thumbsu: The only thing we disagree on is Football & When I am out not a home for the weekend because of the Boy Scout Troop i work with. :thumbsd:

Edited by ValleyBoy

Had he for 25 years. Trade in cost would be to high, so might as well keep her. :thumbsu: The only thing we disagree on is Football & When I am out not a home for the weekend because of the Boy Scout Troop i work with. :thumbsd:

Have Brent write a letter to you guys stating how much it would mean for you to be there....that will appeal to the motherly side of her. "No Six Flags...no Walking" WTH?!?!? See if one of her favorite bands is playing while you are here. Does she like Jello-shots and keg stands? Otherwise....ditch her and fly out.

I'm checking for you buddy. You're a few weeks early for the Denton Arts and Jazz Festival. Also, I checked....the Texas Rangers are out of town (if you like baseball). So far.....I'm coming up pretty empty. I did find this down in Fort Worth (30 minutes south on I-35 W):

http://www.mainstreetartsfest.org/home.aspx

Never been to it....heard a lot of good things about it though.

I'm checking for you buddy. You're a few weeks early for the Denton Arts and Jazz Festival. Also, I checked....the Texas Rangers are out of town (if you like baseball). So far.....I'm coming up pretty empty. I did find this down in Fort Worth (30 minutes south on I-35 W):

She has always liked Art & craft shows, even thouth she is not a big shopping Gal. Thank the Lord for ValleyBoy's Wallet. Also she is not a drink'in party Gal.

The UNT Sky Theater is fun if you like astronomy, and inside too. This is what they have playing right now. You could also take her to Babe's and eat the best fried chicken in the world.

NOW SHOWING:

Bad Astronomy Show Times:

Saturdays @ 2:00PM & 8:00PM

Bad Astronomy Ticket Prices:

Students (with ID)/Children <12......$3

UNT Employees/Senior Citizens.......$4

Adults....................................$5

* Credit/Debit Cards not accepted

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Had her for 25 years. Trade in cost would be to high, so might as well keep her. :thumbsu: The only thing we disagree on is Football & When I am out not a home for the weekend because of the Boy Scout Troop i work with. :thumbsd:

I am afraid that if she doesn't like meangreen football, the only alternative is to get a new wife. But I might warn you, a 25 year used wife has little trade-in value

I am a self proclaimed master of spousal politics. Here's what u do... ur kids are 16 and 17, so tell her that you would like them to see some colleges in the Dallas area. Schedule some time to go by a couple of campuses. Tell her u just want the kids to be aware of all options before they head to college.

Tell her that going to college in the dfw metroplex is a great opportunity because of the great job market and networking opportunitues. Tell her it may be the last family road trip before the kids leave. You have to hit the emotions on this one.

SUMG gave you the best idea yet. I go to the Main Street every year. Roseanne Cash on Saturday night. Bring your folding chairs and get as close to the stage as you want. The best quality art of all the festivals in this area is on display. Continuous entertainment on multiple stages all day. If she is the indoors variety woman, take her to Billy Bob's after some great Tex-Mex at Joe T. Garcia's. Put a couple margaritas in her and you might get lucky.

Seriously, the above event is where I will be headed right after the spring game. Always a helluva good time.

Now, in all fairness, these things are usually more like scrimmages than a game (although we don't know yet how Coach Mac will do it).

• Downvote 1

She has always liked Art & craft shows, even thouth she is not a big shopping Gal. Thank the Lord for ValleyBoy's Wallet. Also she is not a drink'in party Gal.

UNT has the World's first or second largest college of music in the World (depending on whether or not you want to call Berklee a "college") and the World's greatest college jazz studies program (ever heard of the 1 O'Clock Lab Band?), and a first rate performance venue across the highway from the new football stadium in the Murchison Performing Arts Center. The College of Music's Jazz Singers are performing on Friday night, April 15 at the Murchison; you would never regret a night spent at a concert given by student musicians at the Murchison. As someone mentioned (yes, at the football tailgating) the next day, last year's homecoming program given by the UNT Symphony Orchestra (headliners of the recent Superbowl kickoff event), and eight selected vocal soloists was as good as anything you'd see in New York City. Better in my opinion. If you'd like to go to something like that, send me a PM and I'll advise you on seating. I know lots of other cool things to do in Denton (spent 4 happy years as a senior there), but a concert at the Murchison is a must for the Artsy. And there's always music going on in various Denton venues of a weekend, if you prefer the more popular genres. My wife is an artist, a BYU ex herself, who loves Denton (and Denton has loved her back at times), so we also know a little about the visual arts scene there as well.

I don't know your budget, but several friends with kids have had good things to say about the great wolfe lodge in Grapevine. Everything in one hotel. Web link below.

http://www.greatwolf.com/grapevine/waterpark

I was going to make the same suggestion. Or, for more of a Texas feel, you could stay at the Gaylord Texan (across the street from Great Wolf) and go to Great Wolf for the waterpark. I have two boys with special needs and they both did well at Great Wolf. They supply life jackets as well. I'm not sure what the special needs are, but I noticed right now that the Gaylord is donating 10% of the room cost to Autism Speaks. (Might impress the wife.) Sticking with the Texas theme, you could go to the Fort Worth Stock Yards. You might take a tour of Cowboys Stadium. If your wife is a history buff, you could take her to where Kennedy was shot and visit the JFK museum.

I know the wife doesn't like to do a lot of walking, so proceed at your own risk.

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-texan/specials-packages/index.html?source=GT-ch=gppc-cid=GenL-GaylordExact&s_kwcid=TC|15753|gaylord%20texan||S|e|6449842877

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/Index.aspx

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/tours/tourInfo.cfm

http://www.jfk.org/

• Upvote 1

It is possible if I believed him and would take him up on it which I will not. :P

Good to hear. Because just joking about it makes me nervous. The NCAA likes to make examples out of powerless schools like us, and even joking about something like this could get their attention. I know this sounds paranoid. But I don't think that North Texas Football has EVER been the subject of an NCAA investigation. SO, to update an old truism, "I'd rather be paranoid than sorry".

You can't beat a festival put on by Fort Worth. They know how to do it right. Plus, as mentioned in another post, you could grab some mexican food at Joe T's, head over to Billy Bob's or check out the shops in the Stockyards/Stockyards Station. Just to the west of downtown Fort Worth is the arts district with great museums.

• Upvote 2

Good to hear. Because just joking about it makes me nervous. The NCAA likes to make examples out of powerless schools like us, and even joking about something like this could get their attention. I know this sounds paranoid. But I don't think that North Texas Football has EVER been the subject of an NCAA investigation. SO, to update an old truism, "I'd rather be paranoid than sorry".

We try our best to do the right thing, this is a true story.

When Brent was still in high school, one of his fathers best friends who he went to school with; (very small high school with only about 15-20 in each class- everyone knew each other), did not do the following just because Brent dream was to play for Auburn. The friend was the station manager for our local radio station. He had several extra tickets to an Auburn football game. He thought about calling Brents father and giving the tickets to him and his wife to go to the game. If Brent was not being recruited it would not have been a big deal. The friend made the decision to give the tickets to someone else for the reason you mentioned above. Would it have been against the rules if he had given the tickets, he didnot know so therefore to be on the safe side, he did not. Brents father is aware of this story and we try our best to do the right thing because there is a right way to do thinks and a wrong way and we would rather to the right thing.

I was going to make the same suggestion. Or, for more of a Texas feel, you could stay at the Gaylord Texan (across the street from Great Wolf) and go to Great Wolf for the waterpark. I have two boys with special needs and they both did well at Great Wolf. They supply life jackets as well. I'm not sure what the special needs are, but I noticed right now that the Gaylord is donating 10% of the room cost to Autism Speaks. (Might impress the wife.) Sticking with the Texas theme, you could go to the Fort Worth Stock Yards. You might take a tour of Cowboys Stadium. If your wife is a history buff, you could take her to where Kennedy was shot and visit the JFK museum.

I know the wife doesn't like to do a lot of walking, so proceed at your own risk.

http://www.gaylordho...|S|e|6449842877

http://www.fortworth....org/Index.aspx

http://stadium.dalla...rs/tourInfo.cfm

http://www.jfk.org/

Also, if you stay in Grapevine, youcan ride the Tarantula train into the Stockyards at Ft. Worth. Kinda touristy but no walking required.

www.grapevinetexasusa.com

UNT has the World's first or second largest college of music in the World (depending on whether or not you want to call Berklee a "college") and the World's greatest college jazz studies program (ever heard of the 1 O'Clock Lab Band?), and a first rate performance venue across the highway from the new football stadium in the Murchison Performing Arts Center. The College of Music's Jazz Singers are performing on Friday night, April 15 at the Murchison; you would never regret a night spent at a concert given by student musicians at the Murchison. As someone mentioned (yes, at the football tailgating) the next day, last year's homecoming program given by the UNT Symphony Orchestra (headliners of the recent Superbowl kickoff event), and eight selected vocal soloists was as good as anything you'd see in New York City. Better in my opinion. If you'd like to go to something like that, send me a PM and I'll advise you on seating. I know lots of other cool things to do in Denton (spent 4 happy years as a senior there), but a concert at the Murchison is a must for the Artsy. And there's always music going on in various Denton venues of a weekend, if you prefer the more popular genres. My wife is an artist, a BYU ex herself, who loves Denton (and Denton has loved her back at times), so we also know a little about the visual arts scene there as well.

I have very seldom been dispointed by the different Music programs I have been to at different University's. My son has been to High School and Junior High Honor bands at UAB (3 times), Jacksonville St (2 times) and Auburn (2 times), also to Auburn's band camp 3 times. At each one of these programs,the performances by the different University Ensambles have been outstanding. The different programs such as Theater and Music on the University scene are some of the best entainment out there that more people shoud take advantage of. If you have never been to one of these programs you do not know what you are missing.