"super" Pit Review

Hopeful

Sounds like Scotty here has had his brain scrambled by the Idiocracy of the AAC and every other NBA arena these days. Listen brah, the Pit is a great place to watch a college basketball game. If you and your homies need more lightning strikes, dancing bears, and basketball dribbling strippers I hear the D-league team up in Frisco brings the heat. Thanks for your opinion bud.

So I think what you are advocating here is that we just "pull the plug" on our basketball club. I can't say I agree with that.

Back as recently as the late 90's, the Thrillerdome was almost all bench seating, many obstructed view seats. And that's an ACC facility.

Also, children are too fat these days. There are too many states, please eliminate 3.

Literally laughed out loud at this. And I don't mean figuratively.

yeaa after this thread, I don't think Hopeful will ever be coming back. At the risk of being sacrificed by you all, I am still agreeing with him that the lighting needs to be changed. JUST MY OPINION

I think it could be changed, but I don't really see it as a big problem. Also, we could have more better speakers, a sun Roof that opens, more fog machines, and a bald eagle cage hanging from center court with dancers and a bald eagle in it. But lets be honest of the real problem - the guy and his friends were just pissed off that they didn't come for the Tech game earlier in the year and instead got stuck with the excitement that is Denver basketball and then proceeded to compare that experience to watching the number 5 team in the nation and one of the best players in the nation kick the everliving crap out of a conference struggling TCU team and blame it on the stadium. F that.

Complaining about bands is bush league. Complaining about ours proves that he absolutely has no idea what he's talking about. I can't tell you how many times this season I've been in awe of their version of "Eye of the Tiger". Real happy to have great musicians having fun at our games. Also their comic relief and life-size cutouts are hilarious. Anyone who doesn't think the band is class should have gone to the NCAA tourney last year. F that too.

Edited by MeanMag

I am still agreeing with him that the lighting needs to be changed. JUST MY OPINION

Which lights are people talking about? House lights or the lights illuminating the court? The court lights are only like 5 years old (about the same age as the floor) and are satisfactory for broadcasting a televised event.

Fixing the lighting issue could be as simple as turning on the house lights more often than they currently do. Still, I'm not sure how the lighting has any significant impact on one's enjoyment of the game.

Which lights are people talking about? House lights or the lights illuminating the court? The court lights are only like 5 years old (about the same age as the floor) and are satisfactory for broadcasting a televised event.

Fixing the lighting issue could be as simple as turning on the house lights more often than they currently do. Still, I'm not sure how the lighting has any significant impact on one's enjoyment of the game.

Any time I see a Laker, or Knicks home game on TV, it looks like the fans are sitting in complete darkness while the floor is lit up. I think the lights over the seating are not supposed to be cranked up at all times. I don't think Staples or MSG are doing it wrong...

Its the truth man, Ive been to several other ncaa games at several venues so I do have a template to base this on. And the lighting is terrible, fact. Not trying to be a hater. My entire group of unt alumns, big12 friends, and current students felt this way about each issue I mentioned. We support UNT, but the truth is the truth. The bar is low, time to raise it.

Find a girl. Go up to the top row. The lighting is perfect.

• Upvote 4

Any time I see a Laker, or Knicks home game on TV, it looks like the fans are sitting in complete darkness while the floor is lit up. I think the lights over the seating are not supposed to be cranked up at all times. I don't think Staples or MSG are doing it wrong...

From my perspective the lighting system for our court is good. Yes there are some burned out bulbs that need to be replaced but what we have now is many times better than the lighting system we used to have.

Cool a troll!

As someone who has taken photos in the Super Pit, I must say the lighting is fine. Pay a visit to SMU, Rice or Sam Houston if you want to see horrible lighting.

Seriously people just ignore the troll.

I don't think Hopeful is a troll, he just came off as a jerk with how he stated his first post.

Honestly, I agree with some of the things he said. The lighting needs work, the video boards are a disgrace and the game presentation is rather boring. There are times I catch myself falling asleep during timeouts or during halftime when the Lil Dribblers dazzle the crowd with their skills :thumbdown:

I wouldn't call the Super Pit second-rate, but it definitely isn't a top notch college arena.

• Downvote 1

I have to respectfully disagree with this. While I don't mind the light situation near as much as some other things at the PIT. I hate watching Laker games because of the way they light their arena.

That was my reference earlier in the thread. Lakers games the lights are turned down except for those on the court. Clippers games are very brightly lit (and have a DJ :lol: ). Both are in Staples.

Hello Hopeful,

About 90 minutes from now, I'm sure you will be at Hill Wheatley Plaza in Hot Springs showing your support for and appreciation of the Mean Green Basketball Band during the annual pre-tournament Pep Band Spectacular. If the past is any teacher, you'll find that there is a band or two in the conference that might approach competing with the MGBB, but that most of the rest are nowhere near the caliber of ours, to the point of being no contest. Some are actually pretty bad. Still, I have no doubt that even the worst bands are composed of hard-working students trying their best.

• Upvote 3

The Pit is a very good basketball arena. Iv'e been watching games there since the 1980's. It is much better than the SMU and TCU arenas.

However, the Pit lighting is not very good right now. It is dark on the court and the ugly backlit signs are too bright.

The Pit is a very good basketball arena. Iv'e been watching games there since the 1980's. It is much better than the SMU and TCU arenas.

However, the Pit lighting is not very good right now. It is dark on the court and the ugly backlit signs are too bright.

Thank you finally someone knows the lighting that I'm talking about.

So here's the deal Hopeful, I am a cheerleader and I cheered at the game you came too. First our band is top notch both musically and creatively, not to mention intelligent. I know of no other bands that knows as much about basketball and sports in general. Second I don't know your personal athletic ability but I would like to see you out there on a hard wood floor doing back handsprings and flips then trowing girls anywhere from 110-130 lbs. in the air. If you were so disgusted by our arena, why didn't you leave??

• Upvote 2

This needed a new thread since we haven't already discussed potential Super Pit improvements this season?

I doubt Hopeful looked through older threads to find any discussions.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but judging by the number of conference realignment threads maybe he thought this was the way to fit in around here.

If Hopeful was like this after getting Jimmered I will be sure to stay away from BYU games this season.

So here's the deal Hopeful, I am a cheerleader and I cheered at the game you came too. First our band is top notch both musically and creatively, not to mention intelligent. I know of no other bands that knows as much about basketball and sports in general. Second I don't know your personal athletic ability but I would like to see you out there on a hard wood floor doing back handsprings and flips then trowing girls anywhere from 110-130 lbs. in the air. If you were so disgusted by our arena, why didn't you leave??

I can't speak for the band, (though I have my doubts) but overall the student body at UNT has a REALLY LOW sports IQ. It really gets to me at football games when we're facing a third down and everyone starts cheering as loud as they can, while the cheerleaders lead a chant :disgust:

It seems like most the students who come to UNT never went to sporting events or pep rallies in high school so they have no idea how or when to cheer.

the pit has its problems but back in the day NBA pre-season games where held there... its slightly outdated but could easily be refurbished into a top mid major arena... and it still seats a massive 11k people... its defintley workable and by no means too far gone like fouts field was... im certain now that the football stadium is done, the university will turn its attention to the basketball program... it deserves it