"super" Pit Review

Hopeful

I went to the men's senior game this weekend and lets just say I was less than impressed. Way less. What is up with the lighting in that place? It is awful! I felt like I was in a basement. That needs to be fixed immediatley. Next, the band was sloppy and embarrassing. Is it too much to ask that they be required to wear the same t-shirt or polo? They looked second-rate and I felt they were a poor reflection of the university. They also didnt didnt do a very good job at being a band, especially for a bball game. Also, the cheerleaders could use some work as well. They dont do much, and they didnt seem very interested in being there. Another disapointment. Next was the missing jumbotron. That was funny. Instead theres a nice coke sign, and a "video board" in the corner thats smaller than the TV in my living room. That was embarassing as well. I know this is a money issue, but come on. Also what in the hell is that weird chipmunk dressed up like fantasia? That was weird.

Overall, the atmosphere and game presentation at the basketball game was a joke. Not a lot there to bring fans back. Yes we kicked the crap out of Denver, but Im not talking about that right now. Im talking about how our school compares to other schools. At bball games its second-rate. Sorry its the truth. Its time for the others involved in UNT bball to catch up to what Johnny Jones has been doing. Just n observation from a fan who knows what hes talking about.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 30

If you wanna donate a few million to reinforce the ceiling, we can fix that. The lighting at the SuperPit is just fine. The atmosphere when the students are there is good. You wanna see a mish-mashed Pep band...watch a Stanford game some time.

Basically lighten up.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Its the truth man, Ive been to several other ncaa games at several venues so I do have a template to base this on. And the lighting is terrible, fact. Not trying to be a hater. My entire group of unt alumns, big12 friends, and current students felt this way about each issue I mentioned. We support UNT, but the truth is the truth. The bar is low, time to raise it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Its the truth man, Ive been to several other ncaa games at several venues so I do have a template to base this on. And the lighting is terrible, fact. Not trying to be a hater. My entire group of unt alumns, big12 friends, and current students felt this way about each issue I mentioned. We support UNT, but the truth is the truth. The bar is low, time to raise it.

So have I? Pauley Pavilion and the Galen Center to name two. I don't find the lighting - or anything else - to be significantly worse at the Super Pit.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I couldn't agree more man. Why do we keep accepting mediocrity in everything we do? Enough of that already

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Its that type of thinking that keeps UNT where it is. Instead of considering some faults just tell someone to get lost. God fobid we discuss issues, and try to think of how unt can improve. Raise the bar. When you have about 1,000 people at senior night should you really tell people who came to support the team not to come back? I had a group of 12, turned down free tickets to pay for tickets to help contribute. Im maybe listing some reasons why people dont go... I just want the best for unt, not trying to offend anyone. I am a fan as well, and I want UNT to be as good a it can be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Um...youre kidding right? Ive been to usc, not even close buddy.

No, I'm not kidding -- I live in Los Angeles. Also been to Northridge's Matadome or whatever they call it for that matter. Other than USC's video screens, I don't think it has anything on our arena. It doesn't feel like a basketball building for one. I'd rate Pauley well above the Galen Center as far as atmosphere is concerned.

• Upvote 2

No, I'm not kidding -- I live in Los Angeles. Also been to Northridge's Matadome or whatever they call it for that matter. Other than USC's video screens, I don't think it has anything on our arena. It doesn't feel like a basketball building for one. I'd rate Pauley well above the Galen Center as far as atmosphere is concerned.

So this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Center equals this http://www.meangreensports.com/pics10/400/DK/DKBKYSWHYUVPOAI.20091201222757.jpg ???

I dont think so. Look this wasnt the complete point of my post. There are some things that need to be addressed. Things at the super pit need to improve. I was actually more upset about the band and the lighting than anything. The video board is an issue, but I understand thats not an easy fix.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yes...I am dead serious. Galen is a pretty building and it's new. It doesn't feel that special tho. I'd take Pauley in an instant over it...BEFORE the renovation. I guess we'll see what PP looks like in 2 years when that's finished. But, no - I don't think that other than the video monitors that Galen is really any better other than the SP other than it's new and perhaps the concourses are wider (tho ours are plenty wide).

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Yes...I am dead serious. Galen is a pretty building and it's new. It doesn't feel that special tho. I'd take Pauley in an instant over it...BEFORE the renovation. I guess we'll see what PP looks like in 2 years when that's finished. But, no - I don't think that other than the video monitors that Galen is really any better other than the SP other than it's new and perhaps the concourses are wider (tho ours are plenty wide).

Dude its two-levels, with suites, with awesome windows, and a video board. I know usc isnt a basketball school but the arenas arent close. That doesnt matter though. Thats not realistic for UNT. Im talking about what is. And if you live in LA it may have been awhile since youve been to the pit. Im alost certain that they have put in those "green" incandescant lights that look like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So, because it has an overhanging second level, it's better? We actually have a 2nd level too you know. For that matter plenty of famous arena don't have that upper deck sort of feature. The windows are pointless and take away from what should be seating in the arena. And since they usually play games at night you can't see anything out of them anyways with the glare off the video board...a real waste of space. Suites in college arenas are crap. You don't see suites in Cameron Indoor do ya? I'd take Cameron over any gym in the country.

I was just at the Super Pit in November to see us play the opener and then Tech. The lighting was just fine.

Edited by CMJ

Obviously we are going to just have to agree to disagree. Whatever the case, man for man, even girl for girl in my group all had the same opinion. Only half of us were UNT people, we werent real happy about it. One alum almost said tcu had a better arena after going out there to see Jimmer. That crap cant happen.

I went to the men's senior game this weekend and lets just say I was less than impressed. Way less. What is up with the lighting in that place? It is awful! I felt like I was in a basement. That needs to be fixed immediatley. Next, the band was sloppy and embarrassing. Is it too much to ask that they be required to wear the same t-shirt or polo? They looked second-rate and I felt they were a poor reflection of the university. They also didnt didnt do a very good job at being a band, especially for a bball game. Also, the cheerleaders could use some work as well. They dont do much, and they didnt seem very interested in being there. Another disapointment. Next was the missing jumbotron. That was funny. Instead theres a nice coke sign, and a "video board" in the corner thats smaller than the TV in my living room. That was embarassing as well. I know this is a money issue, but come on. Also what in the hell is that weird chipmunk dressed up like fantasia? That was weird.

Overall, the atmosphere and game presentation at the basketball game was a joke. Not a lot there to bring fans back. Yes we kicked the crap out of Denver, but Im not talking about that right now. Im talking about how our school compares to other schools. At bball games its second-rate. Sorry its the truth. Its time for the others involved in UNT bball to catch up to what Johnny Jones has been doing. Just n observation from a fan who knows what hes talking about.

your comments are appreciated! regarding the band, most bb bands i have seen [sons went to arkansas,auburn,and uab] tend to dress down and just have fun.[ my favorite is the RICE m.o.b.]the cheerleaders share time with the UNT DANCE team,and spent most of their time entertaining the student section. i have court side seats, so i can't comment on the lighting. a jumbotron would be great, and perhaps its something that we could work on in the future. i don't know if you are aware of the fact that the super pit is a university multipurpose faciality with its own management, and not under our athletic department. we schedule time for it like all other university departments. this was only way state would fund it, as the state of TEXAS will not pay for athletic sticks and bricks. in summary, hope you and your friends come back next year.

• Upvote 2

I agree that the lighting is very poor in the Super Pit. I don't know why this cannot be fixed. Removing the media seats at center court, improving concessions and installing LED ribbon boards where the video boards are now would really help things. The wood paneling looks bad.

I agree that the lighting is very poor in the Super Pit. I don't know why this cannot be fixed. Removing the media seats at center court, improving concessions and installing LED ribbon boards where the video boards are now would really help things. The wood paneling looks bad.

Oh great, and now you see what you did, Hopeful? You gave this guy a forum for his constant bitching. Hope you're happy...

• Upvote 1