Egypt Government About To Fall?

Has Karl Benson called Egypt yet?

Tunisia's switch is the domino. Egypt looks like they want to jump, just waiting to see which way their administration decides to go. I'm hearing rumblings in Yemen and Syria, too. If those two go, we'll have a massive realignment and Israel may (again) be left out in the cold.

• Upvote 2

I celebrate what's going on in Egypt. Anytime people stand up for what they believe, take to the streets, and oust a dictator, I'm on board. This rebellion isn't religious in nature. How it looks after remains to be seen. But right now, it isn't any of our damned business. Worried about oil? Stop being dependent on it. Find another source (like in our own back yard) or find another sustainable form of energy in our own backyard.

That our first concern is how this impacts our own interests is absurd. They want representation in the decisions of their country. Who can fault them for that? Good for the Egyptian people, I say. This seems like something most Americans could identify with and celebrate.

None of the crap that went down in Germany in the mid 1930s was our business either and we treated it as such. That didn't work out to well and we have been more active in international affairs ever since.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

None of the crap that went down in Germany in the mid 1930s was our business either and we treated it as such. That didn't work out to well and we have been more active in international affairs ever since.

In this instance, we've supported the dictator the people are fighting to overthrow. So I don't follow your logic, unless the point was to casually toss out a Nazi reference, in which case, well done.

I don't subscribe to the Team America: World Police style of international policy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Tunisia's switch is the domino. Egypt looks like they want to jump, just waiting to see which way their administration decides to go. I'm hearing rumblings in Yemen and Syria, too. If those two go, we'll have a massive realignment and Israel may (again) be left out in the cold.

Everyone knows that Israel is looking to go indy if the right TV deal comes along.

• Upvote 3

In this instance, we've supported the dictator the people are fighting to overthrow. So I don't follow your logic, unless the point was to casually toss out a Nazi reference, in which case, well done.

I don't subscribe to the Team America: World Police style of international policy.

My point is that it is our damned business. I was quite careful to avoid saying what we should do, but this unrest in Egypt is our business and advocating that stick our collective heads in the sand (what you seemed to be saying) is a poor choice. Sticking our heads in the sand has led to greater problems in the long run. This particular situation is very dicey, though I think we are better off with Mubarak in charge. The devil you know...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we are better off with Mubarak in charge.

Egypt isn't OUR country. At this very moment, it doesn't matter what's best for US. To suggest otherwise is to assume these people are too stupid to know what they want or deserve what we have.

I never advocated sticking our heads in the sand. Just at this time, this doesn't concern us. Let the people fight for their freedom and once it's time to reform this thing, the world can come together and assist, as needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Egypt isn't OUR country. At this very moment, it doesn't matter what's best for US. To suggest otherwise is to assume these people are too stupid to know what they want or deserve what we have.

I never advocated sticking our heads in the sand. Just at this time, this doesn't concern us. Let the people fight for their freedom and once it's time to reform this thing, the world can come together and assist, as needed.

It most certainly does matter what is better for us, mainly because like most countries we will act in our own best interest most of the time. Does it matter to the Egyptians? Ask them, though I would guess that the ones who are pro-government would think it matters and the anti-government side would think our opinion means almost nothing. I made no suggestion that these people are too stupid to make their own choices, all I did is say what I thought would be best for us. Where did you get that from? Are you projecting?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The "world"? Who exactly are you speaking about here? Because the "world" is made up of countries that always do what is in that country's best interest.

Burying your head and encouraging the deposing of a dictator that has been willing to work with the US in the region in favor of God knows who or what is really, really naive.

What we should be doing is saying the right thing in public (which we have so far), but working behind the scenes to make sure our national interest are met. Not so confident on the second part.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It most certainly does matter what is better for us, mainly because like most countries we will act in our own best interest most of the time. Does it matter to the Egyptians? Ask them, though I would guess that the ones who are pro-government would think it matters and the anti-government side would think our opinion means almost nothing. I made no suggestion that these people are too stupid to make their own choices, all I did is say what I thought would be best for us. Where did you get that from? Are you projecting?

I'm not projecting, I'm giving an opinion, nothing more.

This is very real and very important to these people and I do not believe the majority of Americans- myself included- fully understand the significance of this, nor the day to day life under Mubarak. We just know it made life convenient for us. In my opinion, that isn't good enough.

• Downvote 1

The "world"? Who exactly are you speaking about here? Because the "world" is made up of countries that always do what is in that country's best interest.

Burying your head and encouraging the deposing of a dictator that has been willing to work with the US in the region in favor of God knows who or what is really, really naive.

What we should be doing is saying the right thing in public (which we have so far), but working behind the scenes to make sure our national interest are met. Not so confident on the second part.

US involvement in world affairs abroad isn't always altruistic or done in the best interest of the countries we "help".

Also, I've broken my number one internet rule- "Never get involved in political debates", so I'll now bow out gracefully.

Good things to everyone!

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is very real and very important to these people and I do not believe the majority of Americans- myself included- fully understand the significance of this, nor the day to day life under Mubarak. We just know it made life convenient for us. In my opinion, that isn't good enough.

This. Concern needs to start right now with the 79 million Egyptians and what is best for them...and that is an end to Mubarak's rule.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This. Concern needs to start right now with the 79 million Egyptians and what is best for them...and that is an end to Mubarak's rule.

Replaced with what, though?

Would you want Mubarak gone even if it led to the formation of a new radical Islamist state that sponsored terrorism against the U.S.?

We all would love to see the transition to a democracy in Egypt, but the odds of that happening are no better than the odds of an extremist Islamic state, at this point. Like Army of Dad said, the Devil you know may be better than the devil you don't.

• Upvote 2

Replaced with what, though?

Would you want Mubarak gone even if it led to the formation of a new radical Islamist state that sponsored terrorism against the U.S.?

We all would love to see the transition to a democracy in Egypt, but the odds of that happening are no better than the odds of an extremist Islamic state, at this point. Like Army of Dad said, the Devil you know may be better than the devil you don't.

The fallout is where and when international attention needs to come in. The regime change itself, and the fact that it has sprung entirely from within, is good and should be verbally and morally supported (much like the Tunisian revolt).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The fallout is where and when international attention needs to come in. The regime change itself, and the fact that it has sprung entirely from within, is good and should be verbally and morally supported (much like the Tunisian revolt).

I just hope the groups I previously mentioned don't gain control of the Tunisian amd Egyptian Army. If these Armies become loyal to those "leaders", any revolts will be put down hard and fast, and you will have new radical Islamist nations with which to deal.

We all want an Egyptian democracy, let's just hope it happens.

Interesting read on the Muslim Brotherhood

Call me cynical, but I just don't trust an organization that has a "small, terrorist faction," or trust an organization that was Bin Ladin's inspiration and believes that "Islam has a political role in society."

Concerning.

Call me cynical, but I just don't trust an organization that believes that any religion has a political role in society. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the asshats that make up the Texas Legislature and the Texas State Board of Education.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Interesting read on the Muslim Brotherhood

Call me cynical, but I just don't trust an organization that has a "small, terrorist faction," or trust an organization that was Bin Ladin's inspiration and believes that "Islam has a political role in society."

Concerning.

Call me cynical, but this is one of the poorest written and researched articles I've seen in a long time. She could've formed better sentences with a big pack of those refrigerator magnets with which you spell out non-sequitor, often sexual or poop related, phrases.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Call me cynical, but I just don't trust an organization that believes that any religion has a political role in society. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the asshats that make up the Texas Legislature and the Texas State Board of Education.

When did you move back to DFW?

Call me cynical, but this is one of the poorest written and researched articles I've seen in a long time. She could've formed better sentences with a big pack of those refrigerator magnets with which you spell out non-sequitor, often sexual or poop related, phrases.

You do realize that just about all of the article was a conversation with an "expert" on Muslim-U.S relations, right?

Now, if you are saying you doubt what this "expert: is saying, we agree yet again. That would be a little strange.

• Upvote 1

You do realize that just about all of the article was a conversation with an "expert" on Muslim-U.S relations, right?

Now, if you are saying you doubt what this "expert: is saying, we agree yet again. That would be a little strange.

I actually couldn't fight through the lead in to make it to the interview. That woman can not write.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Egypt controls the Suez Canal, through which millions of gallons of oil are shipped through every month. Markets are reactive. The price of oil is up over half a dollar a barrell just with the unrest. If this government falls, I would expect a $10 a barrell jump.

Fair enough. Its a theory I don't subscribe to, but at least you're willing to come out and explain some reasoning behind it rather than trying to get a political punch at people who are "doves".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Disappointing. I thought this part of the thread had real possibilities.

Has anyone considered that this huge demand for democracy spreading across the middle east may have originated in Iraq?

Now that should get some folks fired up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1