Arkansas State (1/22/11)

CMJ

Anyone know how many of the 4,856 were students and how many were alumni, Denton, or Dallas residents?

Great to see we draw almost 5K when UNT is on Channel 21!!! I wonder if channel 21 will pick up any more games? If publicized you'd think channel 21 rates would get a bump.

I'm in Houston so it's Channelsurfing or Mean Green Premium feed for me.

The crowd was amazingly into this game, including the Pit Crew... it really turned into blow out at the end of the first half, but the everyone kept the volume loud, harassed the refs, and generally contributed energy and chaos to the game... fun game... hopefully we carry the momentum on our next road game.

Edited by chrisfisher

Lots of the 5k in attendance were pee wee basketball kids. There was some kind of special tonight.

If they do that again, they need to put the kids in their own section and not sitting with donors/season ticket holders. I'm usually pretty laid back, but I have to admit that kids playing next to me and jabbing me in the side for 2 hours nearly led to child abuse.

Outside of that, great game. The contested half court shot where Dominique had to adjust mid-shot...just amazing. If the team can keep improving from what was on display tonight, then we might see a third tournament appearance in five years. :thumbsup:

• Downvote 1

Thanks for everyone's response!! Here's what I'm trying to figure out. How many paid attendance and what is the amount of revenue a well attended game brings into the AD. I would assume students get in for free. If so, then wanted to know percentage of students against paid crowd IE aluimni, Denton, and Dallas residents. 40% students to 60% paid attendance? Past that how much are the tickets (I need to go look at athletic site to find out this info.). Then factor how many at the game purchase concession and other UNT gear and then try to determine profit margin on these purchases. This will give me a rough estimate of revenue on a good night, great night, poor night of attendance. Sooner or later someone's going to have to pony up and pay Johnny Jones his true worth. UNT is starting to do this on FB side of things, but that team hasn't produced squat in relation to the $$$. Only reason UNT is putting the cart before the horse regarding FB is new stadium and reasonable salary to get coach with reasonable resume.

Johnny's produced mightily and in my mind UNT hasn't ponied up to the bar to take care of JJ. :growl:

One thing I forgot to mention... George showed some new moves tonight... At least twice, he made very quick drives to the basket from about the free throw line... he looked really good... and surprisingly really, really fast... basically bursting to the basket... my buddy and I both commented at the same time that we hadn't seen that from George before...

One thing I forgot to mention... George showed some new moves tonight... At least twice, he made very quick drives to the basket from about the free throw line... he looked really good... and surprisingly really, really fast... basically bursting to the basket... my buddy and I both commented at the same time that we hadn't seen that from George before...

There was one move where he was so surprised how well it worked, he stood there for a second before getting the shot off and ended up getting blocked. :lol:

Thanks for everyone's response!! Here's what I'm trying to figure out. How many paid attendance and what is the amount of revenue a well attended game brings into the AD. I would assume students get in for free. If so, then wanted to know percentage of students against paid crowd IE aluimni, Denton, and Dallas residents. 40% students to 60% paid attendance? Past that how much are the tickets (I need to go look at athletic site to find out this info.). Then factor how many at the game purchase concession and other UNT gear and then try to determine profit margin on these purchases. This will give me a rough estimate of revenue on a good night, great night, poor night of attendance. Sooner or later someone's going to have to pony up and pay Johnny Jones his true worth. UNT is starting to do this on FB side of things, but that team hasn't produced squat in relation to the $$$. Only reason UNT is putting the cart before the horse regarding FB is new stadium and reasonable salary to get coach with reasonable resume.

Johnny's produced mightily and in my mind UNT hasn't ponied up to the bar to take care of JJ. :growl:

Haven't they redone his contract a couple of times already? Extensions, etc...

Yes...but still underpaid for what JJ has done and continues to do recruiting wise. A Big 6 BCS conference school that sucks in BB is going to come a calling and throw ton o money JJ's way. Auburn almost did it last year. Don't know why deal didn't go through. My only hope is RV ponies up and JJ really wants to build something special here at UNT. JJ train is gaining steam everyday, so maybe JJ wants to be at UNT for the long run. JJ's not being compensated nearly as well as Coach Mac., but Johnny's produced. Not saying coach Mac. won't just saying JJ has already and is producing. If I were him I'd be looking for the money. It's not like collage coaching for JJ is new or something, so I doubt a little criticism at a high profile school will affect JJ's ability to recruit and coach moving forward.

Go Mean Green!!

Yes...but still underpaid for what JJ has done and continues to do recruiting wise. A Big 6 BCS conference school that sucks in BB is going to come a calling and throw ton o money JJ's way. Auburn almost did it last year. Don't know why deal didn't go through. My only hope is RV ponies up and JJ really wants to build something special here at UNT. JJ train is gaining steam everyday, so maybe JJ wants to be at UNT for the long run. JJ's not being compensated nearly as well as Coach Mac., but Johnny's produced. Not saying coach Mac. won't just saying JJ has already and is producing. If I were him I'd be looking for the money. It's not like collage coaching for JJ is new or something, so I doubt a little criticism at a high profile school will affect JJ's ability to recruit and coach moving forward.

Go Mean Green!!

OH, I agree that something needs to float JJ's way and I'm sure they will extend or give some kind of compensation (like in the past) to JJ in the off season. RV goes to every game, so I'm positive he know JJ is producing. I haven't seen one detail posted from his current contract.

For Now, JJ would probably agree that the focus needs to be on getting the team getting the highest possible SBC seed and making it back to the NCAA.

Florida Atlantic is looking good, WKU might be figuring it out, and we have to go through the Pioneers twice still. Let's focus on that and enjoy the ride. I'm sure RV is taking care of that stuff, because that's what he's paid to do.

It's not often I will come to P1's defense , but :

There was a promotion for kid's basketball teams going on last night. Most did not wear their team' s jersey , but I'd say probably 50 or so did. They were all on in the upper section. I know a guy who coaches a team who brought 3 kids and another guy who brought 10. It was nice , because if it not for the promotion those folks probably wouldn't have came.I'd say overall there were at least 150 or so kids who came out from area bb teams

Edited by NT03