Riley Doesn't Appreciate Being Called A Quitter

Keith7

http://www.ntdaily.com/?p=14800

“I do feel like sometimes I get crucified at the University of North Texas for things that are out of my control,” Dodge said. “I gave everything I had and tried to pour everything out on the field every Saturday. But some people don’t care. They just want to call you a quitter because you’re leaving.”
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But if Riley decided not to transfer, and therefore quit quitting, wouldn't he still be a quitter by quitting to quit?

Thats a pretty good question. Maybe we can get a math major to bust out some calculus on that, but I think that would equal not quitting (i.e. doing what you said you would do).

We started with Riley:

quitting = stop doing something you committed to do

however, if RIley:

quit quitting = quit stop doing something you committed to do

I think we can cancel some things on both sides of the equation, to get:

quit quitting = quit stop doing something you committed to do

so you are left with = doing something you committed to do

I think it works out nicely. Riley no longer is no longer called a quitter, he gets to play for the Mean Green, gets a better degree. Everyone wins.

• Upvote 4

I have absolutely no problems with this article or the quote from Riley. I do believe he did give 100% every time he took the field and it is no secret that some people just don't care. The young man is only telling the truth from his perspective and relaying what his thoughts are regarding his decision. I would imagine that any D-1 QB in the country could say the same thing at times during their careers whether they elected to stay at one school or transfer. The idea that some people would stoop to the childish level of calling him a quitter says more about the people calling him names than it does this young man. It is exactly correct in thinking those people do not matter to him one iota.

I do think it is time to move along. Coach Dodge and Riley will neither be part of the 2011 edition of the Mean Green. Best to wish them both well and move on to supporting those who will be part of the Mean Green's success in 2011.

GO MEAN GREEN...too many good things happening for the Mean Green these days to focus on "what might have been".

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Riley doesn't like being called a quitter, and we don't like players going back on their commitments. I appreciate and am grateful for what he did here, but still irked that he decided to leave. I hope he is successful at McNeese, but just wish people could keep their promises these days.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I'll be rooting for Mcneese State next season. Good Luck Riley! Do I think it is the right decision to leave? No. I wish he would stay and honor his committment...mostly because I think he could stil be succesful here...but with all of the injuries, and losing, and his dad being fired, I completely understand why he would want to start over somewhere, and I wish him the best.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have absolutely no problems with this article or the quote from Riley. I do believe he did give 100% every time he took the field and it is no secret that some people just don't care. The young man is only telling the truth from his perspective and relaying what his thoughts are regarding his decision. I would imagine that any D-1 QB in the country could say the same thing at times during their careers whether they elected to stay at one school or transfer. The idea that some people would stoop to the childish level of calling him a quitter says more about the people calling him names than it does this young man. It is exactly correct in thinking those people do not matter to him one iota.

I do think it is time to move along. Coach Dodge and Riley will neither be part of the 2011 edition of the Mean Green. Best to wish them both well and move on to supporting those who will be part of the Mean Green's success in 2011.

GO MEAN GREEN...too many good things happening for the Mean Green these days to focus on "what might have been".

Mark, I keep looking outside to see what color the sky is because I keep agreeing with you...and no more so than in this situation.

Let me remind everyone, WE HAVE HAD MANY PLAYERS TRANSFER TO NORTH TEXAS THROUGH THE DECADES AND WE NEVER THOUGHT TO CALL THEM QUITTERS. As I've pointed out many times Jordan Case, one of our great all-time QB's and one of movers and shakers on the Stadium committee was a TRANSFER from Sul Ross University. Anyone going to go to the banquet this Friday and look him up, and then call him a quitter?

Julian Herron is currently on our roster and is a transfer from SMU. Are some of you going to go up to him after the games this year and say "nice game....not bad for a quitter".

Alex Lott was a regular contributer to our football team these last few years. And he was a TRANSFER from Texas Lutheran. Anyone want to call him a quitter?

Have we just totally lost our ability to think logically?

geezzzz. <_<

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Can we add whiners to the list of things we don't need around here?

Without them, traffic on fan message boards would be decreased greatly.

Less traffic= less interest in advertising on the board.

Something tells me you will never see Harry critizing the whiners on this board ;)

As I've pointed out many times Jordan Case, one of our great all-time QB's and one of movers and shakers on the Stadium committee was a TRANSFER from Sul Ross University. Anyone going to go to the banquet this Friday and look him up, and then call him a quitter?

<_<

Non-scholly middle of nowhere Sul Ross, to full scholly DFW area D1 North Texas is quite an understandable career advancement. Somehow I suspect Case would have had trouble playing on the next level coming out of Alpine. Not really in the "quitter calling" camp as far as Riley is concerned, but why would Riley want to drop a level to McNeese if he loved it so much in Denton, and when he supposedly was told that he would have as good a shot as anyone at being our starting QB next season? Doesn't make a lot of sense unless he lacks confidence in his abilities, or his multiple quotes in regard to his happiness in Denton were simply untrue. Either way, I hope he does well and stays healthy in Lake Charles. Somehow, I think we'll get by just fine without him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have no intention of trying to insult anyone specific on this forum. However, it is always a byproduct of actually telling the truth. And the truth is...... You guys would be just fine with a "quitter" from another school that would COME TO UNT. ESPECIALLY if said player was the integrel part of a winning team. I wish I could see all those posts now about how glad we were that Tyler Stratford had left OU. THAT seemed to be ok with everybody. In the future...will you be rejecting tranfers because of their obvious lack of integrity...why would we want them on OUR field ??? After all, they committed one time to somebody..and since that didnt work out...due to health,finacial aid,coaching changes,etc...that all wont matter ! They should just quit and give up their sport all together. Aw HELL NO, dont come to THIS school.....We'd rather you just quit and shrink into nothingness than to try and make the best of it. How dare you as a player..try to transfer and actually play...when you can stay here and ride the bench just so you wont be called "Quitter". Kids, Riley, who ta hell ever !!!! I've been there......go where you can play...for as long as you can play !!! You haven't let ANYBODY down. And if you did...they'll have to just get over it and move on to another kid to berate.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1